Chapter 44

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

"Mom, I'm home!" Felix exclaims as he shuts the door behind him.

"In the office!" She yells back.

Felix slowly slips off his shoes and moves through the house toward the office room on the main floor. As he makes his way through the hall, he drops his backpack by the stairs before heading forward to his mother.

Once he reaches the room, the boy takes a small breath and then enters after an awkward knock.

His mother turns at the sound and smiles softly.

"Hey Lix, how was school?"

"It was fine," he deadpans, eyes meeting the floor.

Yongsun nods and the room falls back to silence. This routine never failed to be awkward for both of them. Felix decides to finally take his leave, as he had been for the past weeks but his mom stops him before he can get too far.

"Um, I wanted to tell you, I got a job."

Her voice is soft but Felix knows she's excited. His eyes meet hers and he sees the twinkle of joy in them. The boy's former cold exterior starts to melt as he smiles lightly.

"Really? Where?"

"Oh, it's nothing big like back home. I'll be teaching at an elementary school near by."

"Not a university?" Felix questions.

"Unfortunately, they still are deciding whether I'm a good candidate for the school," Yong-sun says. "So until they get back, I'm going to take this job for the year."

A frown falls upon Felix's face as he looks at his mother. Teaching at the university back in their home town was something he knew she truly enjoyed. She was one of the few teachers he had ever seen who really cared about their work and job. Plus, she got to do research as well which was another aspect of it that she loved.

She had so much going for her and she lost all of it when moving to Korea. All because of me, Felix thought suddenly.

Yong-Sun notices her son's expression and smiles softly. "It's really okay sweetheart. I'm just glad to be working again."

The boy locks eyes with his mother and suddenly starts to feel them water. Yong-Sun gasps at the notion and quickly gets up, engulfing her son in a hug.

"I'm sorry mom," he sputters out. "I know how hard you're working and how you've been doing so much for me. I'm sorry for acting so ungrateful."

His mother his hair softly, pulling Felix in closer to her chest. "No, no. My baby, you've been nothing but wonderful. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought the whole situation up anyway."

"I'm just not ready mom, not yet."

"I know baby, I'm sorry. We'll take it slowly from now on, okay?"

Felix nods and wraps his arms tightly around his mother's waist. She holds him closer, cradling him and they stay like that, embraced in overwhelming understanding and love.