Chapter 11

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

 The walk back was oddly comfortable. Felix had come back with the groceries and Athena thanked him a trillion times, to which Felix continuously told her that it really was no big deal. They divvied up the bags and then started their trek back to their street. Felix could tell that Athena had no means of explaining her outburst; if she did, she probably would've spoken about it, he reasons. So, Felix fills the empty space up with talk of everything and anything. 

He tells Athena about Australia and how beautiful it is there, making Athena wish she could go, though she had always wanted to visit the country. He talks about his experience at the cash and tells Athena of how nervous he was which causes the girl to laugh but then apologize once again. He talks about what his favourite animal is and how he's not excited for school to start in the fall. Felix continues to ramble on like this but Athena listens with all ears. Something about his voice was so entrancing that all thoughts of the incident before flew out of her mind, allowing Athena to hang on to every word that escaped the boy's lips. Maybe, it was the deep rumble of his voice that gave Athena chills or the sweet melodic tones of his laughter that captured her attention so strongly. Or maybe, it was simply the bright smile that was etched across his face as he spoke that made Athena believe that she—even in the midst of everything that had happened—could achieve happiness again. Either way, Felix had Athena's full attention and she wondered if this feeling was healthy for her.

When the two arrived at Athena's house and finished placing the bags in her kitchen, neither of them wished to part. It was an unusual thing for both of them. They never had felt so attached to someone they'd met only recently. Uncertain feelings swirled around in the pits of their stomachs but neither of them spoke on it.

"Are you sure you can put all that stuff away by yourself?" Felix questions.

"Of course. Plus, you've already helped so much today," Athena tells him. More than you think.

"Okay then. I guess I'll see you later?"

"Yeah. Bye Felix."

"Bye Athena."

Felix lingers in the doorway for a second and wonders if he should just ask if he can stay because, in reality, Felix didn't want to leave Athena alone. At least not until he was sure she was really okay. After seeing her so broken, Felix was worried about her mental state. He was worried she'd feel alone and Felix certainly didn't want that. He wanted to cheer her up and be the cause of her smile that he already knew was rare. Though, Felix wouldn't dare acknowledge this. Instead, he pretends those thoughts aren't even there and finally leaves. Felix waves good-bye one last time before heading down the steps and out towards his house. 

Athena watches Felix go and wonders why she didn't ask him to stay. She had badly wanted to but her mind told her otherwise. Athena felt safe when Felix was around and when he held her, she felt as though he could shield her from any of the pain and torment she felt. And then, he'd made her feel warm again and hadn't asked any questions about her crying. He was simply there for her and that's all she needed. Athena knew though, that she couldn't feel this way towards Felix. She would end up hurting him, just like she did to everyone else. And so, Athena slowly shuts the door and sighs as she starts clearing the groceries, trying her best to ignore the emotions and butterflies floating inside her and tingling her heart.