Chapter 73

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

To Athena, Dr. Kim's office feels like a place out of time. For some reason, she can just let herself be who she wants to be. It's quite the change from their first few sessions, but Athena has truly grown to enjoy her talks with the older woman.

She trails her fingers across the strange paintings that always seemed to take her mind off things. Athena wonders why they were there. They were ugly to look at but yet also intriguing. She can't imagine Dr. Kim actually liking them, but she shrugs. To all their own.

"Have you spoken to him recently?"

The question pulls Athena out of her trance and she turns to her left, watching as Dr. Kim gazes at the painting in front of her.

"No."

After her outburst to Felix, she hadn't said a word to him. They took avoiding to a whole other level and honestly Athena could say she hadn't even seen him in the past few weeks.

"Do you want to talk to him?"

Athena shrugs and moves on to another painting. "Maybe. I still need to cool down."

Dr. Kim nods, trailing behind her.

"You like the paintings huh?"

"Not really," Athena starts hesitantly. "No offense but they're kinda ugly."

The woman laughs heartily at this and Athena burns with embarrassment. Her eyes turn to Dr. Kim who smiles at her and shifts over to her table. There, she pulls out a small picture frame, encasing another ugly looking portrait.

"Wow, a small version. How many of these do you have?" Athena asks with genuine curiosity.

"Enough to make people talk about them."

Athena tilts her head, raising an eyebrow. What did that mean?

"I know the paintings are ugly. Even the painter himself says they are. I just hand them up to make people speak. What better topic to talk about than the ugly pictures I put around my offices? It's absurd but it helps one open up, puts us on a common ground and distracts people from their fear of whatever might've been holding them back."

Dr. Kim walks back over to Athena and hands her the picture frame. It looks like it's supposed to be an image of a girl, but her smile is off, almost frowning on the edges but at the same time not. The colours used to fill in her hair and eyes don't match and the proportions of her eyes to nose to ears to really everything just don't fit.

"It's hard to open up. I know it is. Finding a common ground on the other hand, is not as hard."

Athena isn't sure she can respond and Dr. Kim doesn't worry about it. She leads both of them back to her table and then pulls out a notepad.

"I was wondering if we could discuss the trial coming up."

"Sure," Athena says softly. "It's in April."

Dr. Kim nods. "I heard. You're going to be a witness right?"

"Yeah. The police said I just need to tell a recount of what happened. They've finally found a suspect who matches mine and a few other peoples descriptions."

Athena watches as she scribbles this information down and then looks up to face the girl.

"So, do you still feel like the killer?"

It's blunt but this time, Athena doesn't feel hurt. She doesn't feel judged, just confused. Ever since that day, Athena was sure it was her. Even though she hadn't pulled the trigger, she'd almost unknowingly helped aim the gun. That didn't make her the killer though, because her intentions were to move it out of Hyunjin's range. She hadn't pulled the trigger, it wasn't her gun, and she hadn't even touched it.

The evidence all points to her being clear, and yet the feeling lingers there. She's confused and still hurt but a thought comes to her mind and Athena realizes one thing.

"Yes, I do," the girl answers shortly after.

Her answer is curt. Dr. Kim drops her head again to make a note but lifts it up at the sudden sound of Athena's voice.

"But, I don't want to feel like that. Not anymore."

And this was something she was sure of, for the first time in a long time.