Chapter 35

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

"Ah, the two love birds have arrived!" Jisung shouts upon Felix and Athena's arrive.

"What?!" Athena blurts out a little too loud.

Jisung just chuckles and sings 'nothing' with a sly smile. Athena and Felix share a look and then let out awkward laughs.

"You're here!! I thought you were going to take forever," Seungmin says once he sees them.

"Sorry," Athena mutters halfheartedly.

"We were just talking about the holidays. Are you doing anything?" Changbin asks.

Athena shakes her head. Felix tilts his head in confusion.

"What holiday?"

"Chusoek! What, have you never celebrated it?" Jisung questions.

Felix shakes his head. "Only sometimes. When we went to my grandparents house we would but if we didn't then it was just a regular day."

The boys fawn over this and start to ask Felix more questions about his Chuseok in Australia. As they do, Athena makes her way over to Somi, sitting next to her on the swings.

The two girls sway slowly, watching the boys play a stupid game of rock-paper-scissors to see who gets pushed into the water park fountain. It's amusing and Athena relishes in the calm feeling, one she hasn't had in days.

"I'm glad you're hanging out with us again. Though I know why you avoid us at first," Somi suddenly says.

"Somi, I really didn't want to hurt you guys," Athena states. "But I see now how I did the exact opposite."

Somi hums softly. They go silent again. Athena thinks back to the times when they shared everything with each other. It felt as though it was so long ago. I miss my best friend, Athena realizes. She missed the fun they had, just the two girls together. She missed the secrets they shared and the laughs that made their sides hurt. Athena wanted to make it right, so she musters up all the courage she can and turns to Somi.

"I want to tell you something," She starts.

"Okay, what is it?" Somi asks.

"Umm... well, it's a secret. At least for now. I want to tell you first before anyone else so you have to promise to keep it a secret."

Somi's face bursts into rays of sunshine as she smiles brightly. "Of course! I'm your best friend, your secrets are always safe with me."

Athena sends her a giant grin back and they laugh. A warm feeling fills them both as the conversation continues, releasing weights they didn't know they were holding onto.

"I'm thinking of getting some help."

"Help?" Somi asks, quirking an eyebrow in confusion.

"Yes help, professional help," Athena murmurs. "I hate feeling so horrible all the time now. I can't stop blaming myself for everything and sometimes, I don't know what's true and what's not. I just... I just don't want to be sad anymore Somi."

At this, Somi stretches out her hand to Athena's and squeezes it. She sends the girl a reassuring smile.

"I love you Athena. You're my best friend and I'll always be here for you, thick or thin. We're sisters okay?"

Athena nods, tears threatening to spill. And they almost do, except Jisung runs up behind her and gives her a hard shove. Athena jerks forward, pulling her hands away from Somi's.

"Jisung!!" Athena screeches.

The boy just laughs and continues to swing her.

"What were you guys talking about?" He asks.

The other boys join up and all seem intrigued as to what Athena or Somi's answer will be. The girls share a knowing look and giggle.

"What?" Seungmin asks puzzled.

"Nothing," Athena says, waving her hands. "We were just talking about the holidays and how we can't wait for the break."

"Also, I was thinking, if you guys aren't busy with family stuff, that you could come over to Athena's for a fun-filled sleepover!" Somi suddenly suggest.

"What?!"

"Yes! OMG! Yes!" Jisung shouts. "We haven't had one in forever! I'm going to call Chan."

"Really, you're really going to have one?" Changbin asks. eyes gleaming.

Athena glares playfully at Somi but then smiles to her friend.

"Sure, why not?"