Chapter 10

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

  Athena really hadn't gotten far before she fell to her knees and broke down in tears.  She had only made it to the sidewalk outside the parking lot when all the emotions she'd been try so hard to hold in were released like a flood. Every time the events of that night cycled through her mind once again, every single emotion and feeling Athena had been avoiding would resurface. And, more often than not, Athena was unable to control it all, thus resulting in an overflow of tears. Her body shakes, hands quivering as she breathes out sob after sob. It becomes so much that the heaving and sobbing starts to hurt, but Athena can't stop herself. 

She never could.

Felix had raced out of the store and immediately spotted her. He made his way over to her and was shocked to see Athena in the state she was in. Though he was unaware of why the girl was crying, Felix crouches down to her level and wraps his arms around her. He pulls Athena tightly into the space between his arms and re-positions them so they're sitting on the ground. Athena latches her arms around the boy, holding on to his waist like it's her lifeline. Passersby eye the duo judgmentally, most assuming that they were acting as most crazy teens do nowadays. Some notice Athena's tears striking up pity and curiosity in them but they continue to walk or drive by, leaving the two alone on the sidewalk. 

Once Athena's sobs reduce to sniffles, Felix slowly releases her from the hug, his hands still placed softly on her shoulders. He sends her a smile and carefully wipes away her tear streaked cheeks.

"Are you okay now?" He whispers.

Athena nods, worrying that she'll become a blubbering mess again if she speaks. Felix nods back. He stands up first and then helps pull up Athena.

"Shoot, the groceries," Athena mutters suddenly.

Felix flashes her a grin. "No worries. I've got that covered."

Athena raises an eyebrow, questioning him, but Felix simply sends her a wink and then runs back into the store.

Thankfully, no one had touched their cart. Felix quickly checks the small bag Athena had placed inside the basket of the cart. A sigh of relief escapes his lips when he sees that the money Athena's mom had given them was still there. Deciding that they had found mostly everything on the list, he turns the cart and heads towards the check out. At each step he takes, Felix's heart starts to race, pounding deafeningly in his ears. His hands start to clam up and he feels his face burning just the slightest. Felix was not prepared for this. He had obviously thought that Athena and himself would've checked out the items together but now, that was certainly out of the question. But why was it? Why was it that Felix felt that Athena didn't need to help him at the moment? Yeah, she was crying but why did it suddenly become Felix's responsibility to help her? Or better yet, why did he want to make it his responsibility? Felix reaches the cashier's aisle awfully quick, disallowing him to further question his recent actions. 

The process of checking out went smoothly, with Felix only making a few minor slip ups. The lady that was at cash was extremely kind and helped him go over everything and sort out the money. With the food bagged, he placed them back into the cart and headed out of the store once again.