Chapter 53

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

The past days had been chill, literally.

Though the heavy blanket of snow didn't stay long, the weather was still below freezing and was falling each second. Due to the recent drop in temperature, Athena and her friends were forced to continue their lunch days in the semi-warm cafeteria. The move was unwanted, by all members of the group, but there wasn't much they could do. The school didn't have many areas for them to spend the lunch period besides the cafeteria and so, they were stuck.

Athena heads to a table near the window of the room. It's colder near here, but the view is pretty and it allows her to avoid the few (but still present) lingering stares of her classmates. While focused on her phone, she accidently bumps into someone.

"Watch it!"

"Sorry," Athena mutters.

"Hey, be careful. If you anger her too much, she might add you to her hitlist," a friend of the person bumped into whispers loudly.

They share a not-very-silent laugh and Athena's cheeks burn. She doesn't say another word as she moves faster to the secluded table by the window. It feels as though she would never reach it and once she finally does, a sigh escapes her lips.

Safe.

But not for long.

"Athena, fancy seeing you here!"

Athena clenches her fists under the table. Could this day get any worse? Yes, apparently it could.

"You know, you should watch where you're going," Hana starts. "I know most criminals don't have manners but if you're going to function in society again, you'll need to re-learn them."

"If she ever had any in the first place," one of the girls beside her adds.

Giggles ripple through their little hub. She wonders if this day will end with people laughing at her. How many times would they make the same joke and find it funny? Instead of responding, Athena picks up her things and prepares to leave the cafeteria. She had only briefly brought up Hana during one of her therapy sessions. She was implicit about what had been happening at school but Dr. Kim was observant. For now, she had told her to avoid the girl at all costs. 

"Don't challenger her. I know it may seem weak but for now, until you feel ready, just leave. It'll be better for you."

So, Athena tries to follow the simple advice she was told. She really did try. 

As she walks past Hana, her wrist is grabbed and she winces at the sudden pull.

"What is wrong with you?" Athena exclaims.

"I heard Hyunjin's trial is being scheduled soon," Hana says instead of answering Athena. "You'll have to be there."

"As a witness-"

"A suspect."

The interruption hurts Athena and she holds her tongue. Pulling her arm out of Hana's grasp, she continues on her path out of the now stuffy cafeteria. 

"You can't run away from the truth! Something happened between you and Hyunjin and now he's dead. Just admit it!"

Now Athena is sure all eyes are on her. They've heard everything and she's sure they're all just glad Hana is saying what they're all thinking. It's really annoying, Athena thinks to herself. She wants to move past this. Why won't anyone let her? Maybe she was wrong for liking Hyunjin. Maybe, it really is her fault that Hyunjin died. It was because of her and she should just accept it.

As she walks out of the cafeteria doors, Athena locks eyes with Felix, who's eyes widen with hers. And then, she feels the pit of her stomach pull downward.

He heard.