Chapter 7

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

It had been two weeks since Athena had met the (cute, though she'd never admit it) Australian boy from across the street. She had gone back to moping around, drowning in guilt and she had assumed that Felix was too busy helping his parents unpack as he had never once come over to say hello. Not that she was hoping for that or anything. Athena's mother had noticed her falling back into her terrible state and decided to do something to help the girl get moving.

"Athena! Get up! I need you to go and buy the groceries!"

Athena groans and rolls off her bed onto the floor. Naturally, the girl would've loved to say no but recently, ever since her talk with her mother, Athena was trying to make an effort. 

Keyword: trying.

"Okay Mom, I'm coming!"Athena screams back.

Athena marches to her closet and pulls out a pair of black leggings and a light, pink sweater. She gives herself one more look over—quickly pulling a beanie over her head—before running down the stairs.

She enters the kitchen and her mother stands there with a long piece of paper dangling between her fingertips. With a frown, Athena snatches the list and heads toward the door.

"Thanks sweetheart!"

Athena just rolls her eyes. She opens the door and is quite surprised to see Felix standing there, a hand in the air as though she had opened the door mid-knock.

"Hey Athena."

Athena's heart skips a beat. He remembers my name...

"Hey Felix."

"Oh, hello Felix. Fancy seeing you here," Athena's mother says, appearing behind Athena.

Felix bows his head slightly and says a cheerful hello.

"Athena was just heading out to go get some groceries and I'm sure she would love some company. Why don't you go with her? This could even help you get familiar with the area, " her mother suggests. 

Athena looks at her mom with widened eyes.

"Mom, I don't think-"

"Sure. Sounds like fun."

Athena turns back to Felix and internally groans.

Her mother smiles radiantly. "Great. I'll see you two later then!" And then Athena was shoved out, the door slamming loudly behind her.

"Sorry about my mom," Athena says though she's unsure of why she was apologizing.

"It's cool. My mom's like that too," Felix told the girl with a chuckle.

They walk in silence for a while and Athena begins to wonder what Felix will even gain from this. It was summer and most teenagers didn't enjoy their free days happily grocery shopping. She was sure Felix would be bored to death by the time she checked off the first item on the list.

"I like shopping," Felix suddenly says.

"What?" I blurt.

"Sorry, I forgot the word for it in Korean. "

"No, it's not that. I was just surprised by what you said. "

"I didn't mean to be surprising. It just seemed like you thought I was going to hate this. I wanted to assure you that grocery shopping is cool. I used to do it with my mom all the time back in Australia," Felix explains.

"Okay. Well, I guess we can use it as your first lesson. I'll help you figure out different foods you don't know and how to work your way around a Korean grocery shop," Athena tells him.

Felix grins and sticks our two thumbs-up. "Sounds great!"

Athena giggles and they continue on their walk, feeling more relaxed than before.