Chapter 47

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

The walk home feels longer than usual. The two are silent for the most part, Athena still dripping wet. Felix doesn't know what to do. She had taken his hand back in the school but she is acting distant again. He had hoped she would reach out to him for once but it appeared as though he was going to have to do so first.

"Athena, are you okay? What happened?" Felix asks slowly.

When Athena doesn't respond, Felix frowns and tries again.

"Athena, what happened to you?"

"I don't want to talk about, it was nothing."

"Nothing?" Felix says gruffly. "You're drenched in water! You've clearly been crying and you call this nothing?"

"I don't have to explain myself to you!" Athena exclaims.

Felix freezes. He knew he was pushing their line of friendship by asking her but he wanted to know, needed to. He was so tired of her pushing him away when she clearly needed someone to be there for her.

"I'm not trying to pry into your life Athena, I just want to know what happened. I just want to make sure you're okay."

Athena stops as well, abruptly facing him, her eyes narrowed viciously. "I didn't ask for you to do that Felix!"

"Well I did it anyway! You're my friend Athena, so why can't I care about you?"

Guilt washes over the girl, her shoulders slouching slightly. If anything, she feels more embarrassed than mad. She had never expected the situation to escalate to this but she wasn't surprised. To have Felix find her like that, so vulnerable once again, was annoying and embarrassing. She just wanted to feel normal again, wanted go stop showing the boy the most broken sides of herself. Of course, she also knew projecting her feelings of hurt onto Felix - sweet, sweet Felix - was wrong.

The girl pushes a wet curl behind her ear and sighs again. She walks closer to Felix and looks him in the eye.

"I'm sorry Felix. I know you're trying to help and I really appreciate it, I do. But, I'm just not ready to tell you or anybody anything right now. It's stupid, I know but please, bare with me and I'll tell you when I'm ready. I promise."

Felix nods and takes a step forward himself, wrapping his arms around Athena. "You take the time you need, I'll be here."

Whether it was an empty promise or not, the two didn't concern themselves with the thought. After a few moments, Felix pulls away but holds onto her hand and smiles gently. She doesn't pull away and the two stay like that - hand in hand - until they reach Athena's where Felix drops her off and they both wonder if this never-ending cycle would ever come to a close.

 

~~~~

a/n

why do they always freak out over holding hands? lol i've been rereading chapters and i swear they've held hands so many times to show they care.

must be their thing. just wondered if yall noticed my little bump in my writing.

anyways, hope you're enjoying.

~tallproud