Chapter 66

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

a/n just a reminder that bolded words mean they're speaking in english :)

~

As Felix sets his foot on the last floor landing, he can hear his parents much clearer than before. Their words bounce off the walls of the normally quiet house, and Felix wonders if they'll even hear him enter the room. He holds onto the railing for a few more moments, breathing deeply. I can do this, I can do this. The boy pushes off the stairs hesitantly, teetering slowly towards the kitchen.

"So, you finally decided to show face?" his father exclaims at Felix's entry.

"Don't bother him," his mother snaps. She sends Felix a soft smile. "You hungry?"

Felix gives a half nod and Yong-Sun pats him slightly, pushing him toward their dining table. "You go on ahead and I'll fix you a plate."

"You baby him too much. You should-"

"You should make your way over to the table too or get out. I don't want to hear your nonsense under my roof."

His father, Dae-Hyun closes his mouth at that and shrugs. He gets up from his spot at the island, watching Felix as he does.

"Are you coming or not?"

Felix blinks. "Uh, yeah, sorry."

He didn't even realize he hadn't moved a muscle since his mother went back to finishing their meal. Quickly, Felix makes an awkward move to the table and sits two seats away from his father, making the older man laugh. Yong-Sun arrives shortly with a plate of food for Felix and then the rest of the food which she laid out along the span of the table.

Dae-Hyun scoffs at Yong-Sun. "What? I don't get a plate made for me?"

"Be grateful I'm not calling the cops on you for intruding," She says.

"You know, you keep threatening that but never follow through. Wonder what that says about you?"

The woman doesn't reply, instead taking a seat next to Felix, and Dae-Hyun smirks at that. Felix barely takes any bites of his food. He can't, the tension is too much. The boy truly could not understand how his mother was putting up with this. She let his father stay in their house (on the couch but nonetheless), she let him eat food that she had made, and listened to him speak, even if it was just to yell back at him. If Felix was in her position, he was sure he would've closed the door on the man and let him freeze to death. Of course, the boy wasn't, and so he watched his mother continue to let these stupid exchanges continue.

They had been eating in silence for awhile when Felix's father stretches out his arms and coughs loudly.

"Your food never fails to amaze me Yong-Sun. You really did make a perfect housewife."

She stops eating, resorting to stabbing at her food while glaring at the man across from her. "What is it that you want? You clearly didn't make such a long trip here to annoy both of us to death."

"If you must know, there is a reason I'm here, though I do enjoy doing the latter," Dae-Hyun says with a grin. 

Yong-Sun rolls her eyes. Felix continues to stare at his plate, as his appetite was lost the moment he stepped down the stairs.

"As we all know here, Felix is my son and I've missed him very much. So, to complete this old man's sad soul, I will be taking Felix back to Australia with me at the end of May."

Felix's snaps his head up to look at his father with wide eyes. His mother drops her fork, the clanging of metal on glass filling the silent room.

"You're what?"