Chapter 59

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

Athena glances out her window. It's snowing again - the fourth time this week - and usually, this would've had the said girl in high spirits but instead, she just sighs and turns away.

The last time she had spoken to Felix was the day school ended for the break. Athena had been too busy that day helping her mother prepare for their party so she had forgotten to go over to his house. Then, every other day she tried to message him, he either gave her a one-worded answer or didn't answer at all. Athena didn't want to push him so she left it as it was.

Finally, Christmas came and the party Athena had been looking forward to appeared bleak in present times. The whole block basically came, not surprising the girl, and the night ran exactly how it usually did. Except, Felix wasn't there. Between dodging questions about Hyunjin and her own mental state, and helping serve food to guests, Athena never stopped to check the front door. She was hoping, pleading, that the boy from across the street would show up with his sunshine smile. Yet, he never did.

It had been two days now since the party and Felix is still avoiding her messages. I guess this is how he felt when I was avoiding him, Athena wonders bitterly. It was getting too much. With this thought in mind, Athena hops off her bed and heads down the stairs.

"Where are you off to?" Her father asks as she passes the living room.

"Out. Where's Mom?"

"Shopping. We're out of eggs."

Athena nods with an understanding smile. "Got it."

"You know, you can't just go out right?" Her dad says.

"Daaaad," she drags. "You know me. Where do I go out to other than Somi's house?"

"Felix's."

Athena heats up and glares at her father.

"I'm leaving!"

She hears his laugh as she's pulling on her shoes and her cheeks warm up even more at the thought.

"Don't be out late!"

"I won't!"

~~~

Snow falls lightly around Athena and she shudders as frigid air graces her nose. She sniffles, shuffling faster as she walks across the street. Once finally reaching the front of Felix's house, Athena takes a moment to breathe (and dust the snow off her face) before ringing the door bell. Seconds go by, then minutes and after ten, Athena wonders if anyone is home. It seems annoying but Athena rings the door bell once more and adds a knock, just for good measure. It takes a while but then the door opens and a man Athena has never seen with Felix or his mother, appears.

"What? You moved and got nosy neighbors as well? You're really doing great aren't you Yong-Sun?"

The man speaks with a gruff tone, a frown planted across his face with no means of changing. The words aren't said directly to her but she feels just as uncomfortable as she would if they were. When he finally gives her a good look over, his frown-wrinkle increases and he stands still holding the door, ready to slam it in Athena's face.

"What do you want?"

Athena cowers slightly at the harsh tone. She had not prepared for this and was almost too shocked to speak. Not wanting to take to long though, Athena musters up the remaining pieces of her confidence and speaks.

"Um, hi. I wanted to see if Felix was home."

The man takes a minute before responding. "Who are you, exactly?"

"I'm a friend," I say softly.

"Huh, friend. Look here sweetie, Felix doesn't need any friends right now, especially not from here. So, why don't you skedaddle along and -"

"Dae-Hyun, who the hell do you think you're speaking to like that?"

Yong-sun appears and sighs heavily when she sees Athena. The girl just shivers lightly.

"Oh dear, how long have you been out there?" Yong-sun mutters. "Let's get you inside."

She tries to reach out to Athena but the man stops her, pulling her hand back.

"I don't know what arrangement you have here, but it needs to stop. Felix doesn't need to be attached to things right now when he isn't even staying here."

"And who are you to say that? Huh? Last I checked you packed your own bags that night," Yong-sun fires.

"When will you both stop talking about me like I'm some object that can be won?"

All heads turn to Felix who appears behind his mother. His eyes are dull and he looks tired, so tired. Athena feels herself move forward when another voice finally speaks again.

"Go back to your room Felix, this isn't a conversation for you," the man states with furrowed eyebrows.

Felix rolls his eyes and walks past him.

"You should go home Athena, it's cold."

He pulls her scarf closer together, giving her false warmth for just a few seconds. Athena is too speechless as he does so to say anything. The boy smiles weakly at her and gives her a small pat on the head.

"Go."

"But... But you haven't been answering your phone! And you missed the party!" Athena finally exclaims. "What is going on?"

"Felix, get back in here."

"Don't try to act like my father now," Felix snarls.

Athena widens her eyes at the words, both shocked at the reveal and the way Felix spoke. She had never heard him speak with such force. It was truly a phenomenon and the girl couldn't even dwell on it as Felix was already waving goodbye.

And, just like that, the door was shut and Athena was left with nothing but confusion.