Chapter 41

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

The weekend had come to an end and Athena was sad to see her friends go. They had spent the next days lazing around, doing nothing spectacular besides a massive baking fail by Chan in the morning. Athena missed it, these times when they were just teenagers living their life and not grieving over a loss. The group broke apart Sunday night. School was the next day and all of them hadn't brought a change of clothes. Felix was the last to leave and was the one person Athena wanted to stay the most. He smiles at her as he stands in the doorway, a pillow under his arm.

"This was fun," he says, the sun setting behind him. "We should do this again."

"So everyone has been saying. But next time, it will not be at my house," Athena huffs jokingly.

The two laugh and warmth spreads across them like a fire. Felix reaches out his hand, as if to pull the girl closer to him, to do something more than wave goodbye and Athena panics, pulling herself away. He notices and pulls his hand back quickly, scratching his neck awkwardly.

"I... I'll see you tomorrow," Felix stutters.

Athena nods and smiles weakly. "See you."

"Get some sleep," he adds, a knowing tone lining his words.

"You too."

They linger for a few seconds more -- a familiar scene for the two -- and then Felix finally makes his way down her porch steps and off towards his home. Athena watches him leave, until he reaches his own home, and the closes the door. Her parents come home later that night, much to Athena's surprise.

"I thought you were coming back in the morning?" Athena asks them.

She lugs two bags towards the staircase with her mom while her dad locks the door behind them.

"Your mother was worried about you so we came back a little early."

Athena's mom scoffs and glares at her husband. "Me? It was you who started fretting over it this morning!"

"Yeah, but you brought it up first last night!"

Athena giggles. "Well since you're here, can you make dinner? I'm starving."

Her mom rolls her eyes with a laugh.

"I suppose we can all make something to eat."

"All? I didn't agree to cook. Oh come on!"

Athena and her mom drag her dad into the kitchen, laughter filling the household as they tie an apron across his chest and get started on making a meal for the three. The night was late, especially for dinner, but the family paid no mind to it. They danced to music Athena blasted from her Bluetooth speaker, narrowly avoided three food fights (all almost started by her father), and were able to come up with a delicious pot of jasmine rice, stir-fry noodles, fried shrimp and chicken, and fried plantain to eat on the side.

The whole weekend was so cathartic for Athena. She hadn't felt deserving of love in what felt like years. It seemed so long since she felt as though her own feelings mattered and maybe that's why she was able to pose her question to her parents. As they sit around the dining table eating in a comfortable silence, Athena suddenly speaks up.

"Um, Mom... Dad, can I ask you a question?"

The two parents share a look. The family had always been tight-knit, especially with their obvious differences from the people in their community. It forced them to really rely on each other in a way, though they never minded. Their family dynamic was stronger than ever, something both Athena's mom and dad had never experienced in their own families growing up. Athena had always been a curious child and her parents tried their best to indulge in all of her antics as best as possible. They wanted to build a safe space for Athena to feel herself in and for the most part, it was. Then, the accident happened and Athena started to shut everyone out, even her parents, who she had always been so close to. To hear her now want to ask them something, though it may seem pathetic, felt like a step forward in stitching back together their former relationship.

"Of course sweetheart," Athena's mother speaks softly.

"What's on you mind?" Her father adds.

It's now or never, Athena thinks to herself. She lets out a small breath, trying her best to collect her thoughts before finally speaking.

"I was thinking... About the incident and everything, um, well, I was wondering if-"

Athena pauses. She's scared and doesn't fully know why. She told Somi her plans already and yet trying to tell her parents was more nerve-wracking than she had expected. She thinks maybe it's the issue of bringing up the incident but she knows it's more than that; it's the fear of judgment, of her parents being disgusted by her need for help this way.

Brought back to reality, Athena's dad moves out of his seat and kneels beside her's, taking her hands into his and looking up at her with the kindest smile.

"You tell us whenever you're ready Athena."

She looks to her mother and she nods in agreement, causing Athena to breath out a sputtering sigh. A tear falls from her eye and she laughs softly.

"It's not even a big deal," the girl mutters softly.

Athena takes some time to compose herself again, her parents waiting patiently before finally, she drops the bomb.

"I-I want to see a therapist."