Chapter 67

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

Felix is surprised at his own outburst but he just couldn't hold it in. Did he hear his father correctly? His mother is clearly just as shocked, as she slowly rises from her seat.

"What are you talking about? Felix isn't going anywhere, let alone with you," Yong-Sun says, though her voice wavers.

"That is where you're wrong," Dae-Hyun answers, rising up from his seat as well. "I want my son back, so I'm taking him."

"Don't you try to act like you want him now! We agreed that I would take Felix with me. The lawyers settled it!" His mother was shouting now, and Felix was sure she didn't even notice. 

Dae-Hyun glares at his former wife and crosses his arms. "I'm not pretending. I care for Felix as much as you do."

"Shut up. I want you out of my house right now!"

"Felix will come home with me," Felix's father states calmly. "That isn't changing."

"I said get out!"

"You think I don't know about you trying to get Felix to speak with Henry? If you're pushing for them to be brothers so hard, why can't he just come back home and live with us?"

"That's not the same thing and you know it!" Yong-Sun exclaims. "You decided to abandon us, you decided that this family wasn't enough for you. So, Felix does not need to be a part of your life, whether he decides to communicate with his brother or not."

Felix's father sighs, running a hand through his hair. "Look, whether you want it or not, I'm bringing Felix home with me. You've just got five months to decide if we do this the easy way or the hard way."

Yong-Sun isn't even listening anymore, and is instead moving out of the dining room, away from everything. Dae-Hyun follows and Felix doesn't know what to do. He doesn't even know what to think. This couldn't be real right? This was a dream, it had to be. He moves to follow them after a moment, his steps quicker than he had been at the beginning of the night.

His mother grabs the few things his father had laying on the couch and tosses them into one of the bags he had brought. She doesn't stop even as Dae-Hyun calls her name. She clears the area he's made for himself and then marches towards the front of the house. Before she can chuck them out the door, Dae-Hyun latches onto her wrist.

"Let go of me right now."

"Yong-Sun, calm down, let's talk about this like civil adults."

The woman laughs. "Civil adults? The moment you showed up at here was the moment we both knew we were no longer going to act like civil adults. Now get out."

She rips her arms out of his grasp and pulls herself away from him, dropping the bags harshly onto the floor. Dae-Hyun quirks his lip at her words and chuckles.

"You think you'll win me in court? A single mother, with a low-paying, unstable job. Doesn't seem like the greatest conditions for a child to grow up in, don't you think?"

"You will not take my baby away from me!" Yong-Sun yells. "Felix is my son. I clothed him, I raised him and I was there for him! You hardly got to know him before you ran away to some other woman! So please, just leave us be."  

Her voices cracks at the end and Felix notices the tears falling from his mother's eyes. He turns to his father who is scoffing at the sight. If he has to go live with his father, will he ever see his mom again? After everything she has done for him, Felix can't imagine leaving her behind. 

"Why?

His parents turn to him simultaneously and Felix is slightly startled. He breathes softly and then continues. "Why are you doing this dad?"

"Because, I'm completing my family, securing my lineage, if you will."

But that isn't the answer Felix was looking for. He isn't even sure what he was looking for but it certainly is not that. Complete his family? What about mine? His body moves before his mind can process anything. He hears his mother call for him, his father say his name but none of them are enough to stop the boy from running out the door, off to the one place he's found comfort in this whole situation.

~~~~

"Felix? You can't keep showing up at my house like-"

The boy leans his head onto Athena's shoulder as she speaks, eyes shut as he tries to fight off unwanted tears. "Just... Can you just let me? This one time?"

Athena can hear the desperation in his voice and so, despite the awkwardness she had been feeling towards Felix recently, she pulls him into her arms. "You're welcome here anytime Felix, you know that."

 Felix releases a sob and Athena pulls him closer, unknowingly anchoring him to the world again.