Chapter 8

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

Once they arrived, Athena informed the boy that they would only speak in Korean so he could get used to it. Felix whined at the idea, pouting as he trailed behind Athena and her cart. Athena on the other hand was cautious looking around, holding her head low as they browsed through the store. She had tugged her beanie down just the slightest bit and suddenly wished she hadn't worn such a bright coloured sweater. Naturally, there was a reason to why Athena was doing her best to avoid stepping one foot out of her house; this was one of them. She could already feel the stares and they hadn't even fully entered the store. 

For the most part, the two had made lots of progress, checking off more than half of the list. Felix was also getting the hang of things, understanding what most of the labels said which was good as they could collect items quicker. Athena was grateful that there were only fierce glares sent their way and nothing more. She was also glad that Felix hadn't noticed any of them, too busy standing on the end of the cart, acting like a child. Felix notices Athena's solemn look and sends her a silly face, crossing his eyes and sticking out his tongue. Athena giggles, relaxing just the slightest. The girl thought it was crazy that Felix was able to make her forget about all the judging glances she was getting even though they'd only really known each other for two days. 

"Alright. Since you have surpassed our beginner level, we shall level up to intermediate," Athena tells Felix with mock seriousness.

"Uh, are you sure I'm at an intermediate level?"

"Of course! Now, I want you to go and find these two things and meet me back in this aisle." Athena pointed to two simple items left on the list before sending the boy off.

He sends her a sulking look. Athena simply lifts her hand, making a waving motion to tell him to go. With a pout, Felix exits the aisle, leaving Athena to fend for herself. As she carefully selects a few articles from the shelves surrounding her, a voice catches her attention. Two actually.

"Isn't that the murderer girl?"

Athena freezes. This can't be happening, not now, Athena tries to tell herself. But then the voice proceeds to speak again, both parties contributing in the conversation this time.

"I think so. The one who killed that boy?"

"Yeah, must be her. What is she even doing out? Shouldn't she be in jail?"

"Probably. I mean, she killed the poor boy. Though, I heard her parents bribed the police so that she wouldn't have to go."

One of the girls scoffs before they continue speaking. "Wow, the things you can do with rich parents. It's too sad really. He was so kind and had so much going for him. Not only did he lose his chances to live out his life because of her, but he won't even get justice because of her. Horrible."

"Why is she with another guy though?"

"Her next victim maybe?"

The two laugh, their voices echoing in Athena's head. 

Athena wanted to confront them. She wanted to walk right up to them tell them that everything they had said wasn't true. Her parents would never bribe the police or anyone for that matter, and they weren't even rich! She wanted to tell them to stop talking about the boy as though they knew him because they didn't; they didn't know him like Athena did. 

The girl wanted to do all these things and yet she stood still, her heart racing rapidly in her chest. Flashes of that night flood back into her brain. 

The sounds of the gunshot, the blood on her hands, his dying eyes. 

It was all too much. Whenever Athena thought of that night, every moment would take over her thoughts until it was as if she was reliving the scene, and Athena just couldn't deal with that. With her emotions all over the place and her head not in the best place, Athena does what she does best.

She runs.