Chapter 31

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

Felix walks through the halls with his head hung low. For the past week, Athena hadn't spoken to him once. She avoided him and the others, finding any way to sneak past them. She would arrive right as the bell would ring and skip lunch, spending her time hidden away in the bathroom. Felix also noticed that she left her final class of the day early, just to make sure there was no way for her and Felix to walk home together.

It was infuriating for Felix and he didn't know what to do. So, he decided he'd ask Somi and Chan as they had known her longer.

~~~~

Somi and Chan exchange worried looks. Felix had invited them to CG (The Chill Grill) and it had seemed friendly at first but now, gazing at the serious expression plastered on his face, Chan and Somi knew that the boy had something important to tell then.

"So, why'd you invite us out?" Somi starts.

"Yeah, not that we don't like hanging out with you it just seemed kind of abrupt," Chan adds.

Felix glances at both of them before taking a deep breath and uttering out what had been plaguing his mind.

"Why is Athena acting this way?"

Somi lets out a small cough. Chan quickly pats her back lightly, equally as shocked.

"What do you mean?" Chan chokes out.

"I mean, why is trying to avoid us now?"

"Felix, Athena's going through a lot right now. We need to give her space," Somi says softly.

"We have been giving her space," Felix mutters, crossing his arms. "If we give her anymore, she'll disappear from existence."

It was dramatic, for sure, but Somi and Chan could understand his worry. They were worrying just the same, only they didn't want to mess up; not again.

"Does this have to do with Hyunjin? I heard Hana talking to Athena about him. I didn't hear much but what I did hear wasn't too nice," Felix says.

Somi sighs. She had hoped that nothing like this would happen to her best friend but she knew it would. Especially when she had done the same at first.

"Felix, when Hyunjin died, we we're all shocked. Everyone was. His death was unexpected and so out of the blue. Many people were and still are mourning." Somi feels herself choking up and Chan notice, taking over quickly.

"At the scene of Hyunjin's murder, Athena was there. For a while, many suspected her as the culprit and well, we did too. The police released a statement saying the chances of it being her were highly unlikely but they still haven't found the real suspect. People still assumed it was her, and it's no surprise that they still do now."

Felix's eyes widen. "You blamed her? You blamed your best friend?"

He was confused, angry. How could they? Even he knew he wouldn't have, not with her innocent smile permanently imprinted in his mind.

"Yes we did Felix! We were horrible! I know, okay? I know what we did was wrong!" Somi exclaims. "Hyunjin was our friend too and everything was just so messy. We didn't really know what to believe and for the slightest moment we wavered and thought she did it. But it was for a moment and it would never happen again. Never..."

Chan shakes his head. "Look, this isn't 'blame everyone' time! You weren't even there so don't start getting all high and mighty. Athena locks herself away when confronted about Hyunjin. We thought she was getting better, especially when you arrived, but if someone from school--Hana of all people--confronted her then I'm sure she's just fallen back down that hole."

It silent for a few moments. All the information soaks up into Felix's brain. He stares at the two who are both clearly also hurting from the incident. Felix's eyes soften.

"I'm sorry for being so rash and rude. I know both of you are struggling with this all too," he apologizes.

"It's fine." Somi grabs hold of Felix's and gives it a reassuring squeeze. "I know you care about her. That's why you're so tense about the situation. Plus, what we did was wrong. It's just hard to admit it sometimes."

Felix smiles and thanks them. Even though he was the one to invite them, Felix leaves first, a plan formulating on how to get Athena back.

 

~~~

 

a/n

hey guys! i'm finally back with another chapter! I'm sorry for keeping you all waiting. school got crazy and i just couldn't seem to find time or motivation to write. but no worries 'cause i am back and ready to roll.

what did you think of what somi and chan told felix? and i wonder, what happened the night hyunjin died?

i also changed the face claim for athena. so if you go to the beginning chapter (the first one) you'll see her character aesthetic has changed. also what do you guys think of those? i like them and think they're really cute

another important thing to note is i hope you all are keeping safe during this time. i know it can be scary, believe me it's definitely scared me, but now's the time we can look and find the good in what we have around us.

lol, i tried to be motivational but it didn't really work. basically, practice the cautionary steps so the virus doesn't spread but don't forget to take care of yourself and find ways to reach out to loved ones and friends. or catch up on all those dramas you haven't finished :)

also, please go listen to nct 127 new album neo zone, 5sos's new album calm, dua lipa's album future nostalgia, stray kid's mixtape on track, and little mix's song break up song. they all released bops and i need people to stan cuz its too fire to keep to myself ;) also johnny suh????? has me dead that's for sure!

lol, anyway love y'all

~tallproud