Chapter 25

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

It had been a week and thankfully, everything had gone by smoothly. Apart from the whispers and silent jeers sent towards her, Athena was fine. She was fine, really. But then, Monday rolled around and it seemed as though the curse of horrible Monday's decided to fall upon Athena.

~~~~

It finally time for lunch and Athena couldn't have felt more relieved. Lunch was slowly becoming Athena's safe haven, the one place where the whispers couldn't reach her and though it might seem sad, she genuinely looked forward to it now.  With a small skip in her step, Athena made her way to the usual spot. 

Just before she can open the doors, a hand pushes them closed and shoves her to the side. 

"Hey, what was that-" Athena pauses her sentence as she sees the culprit.

Kim Hana (self proclaimed popular) and her horde of groupies were standing there, smirks painted onto their faces as they watched Athena slowly get up.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the school's own murderer. Didn't think I'd be seeing you in this type of uniform this year," the girl states, laughter erupting behind her.

Athena rolls her eyes and turns to leave when Hana starts to talk again.

"Why are you leaving Athena?" Hana says with a pout. "I mean, we've only just started."

"Yeah, I've always wanted to talk to a criminal in person," one of the other girls adds.

Why now? Why, why, why?! 

Sighing, Athena turns to face them and pulls out a bright, fake smile. "What would you like to talk about Hana?"

"Oh, just the usual. Like, what it's like to be a murderer and pretend your not?"

"Hana I never-"

"Oh, stop the act Athena!" Hana exclaims. "We all know what you did. You killed Hyunjin and yet you prance around like you're innocent. It's disgusting. Hyunjin had so much going for him and you ruined it all. You ruined his life and the lives of everyone around him. You are a horrible person Athena. Honestly, I wish it were you who was dead, nobody would miss you anyway."

That line gets her and Athena in a breath, trying to keep her watery eyes from releasing any tears. Words can't even form as Athena runs over Hana's words in her head.

You ruined his life, you're despicable! You murdered him! You should be dead!

The voices raged away in her mind, blocking out any other thought. She wanted it to stop, for the voices and Hana to just disappear but they didn't. Instead, Hana continued on, her troop giggling like seagulls in the back.

"And look at you now, all cozy with the new boy. Wait until he finds out your dirty secret. What are you going to do then, kill him too?"

They burst out laughing while a tear falls down Athena's cheek. 

"Stop."

"Is that what you do Athena? Do you like to get all the popular boys and bewitch them to like you before you kill them? Should I watch out for my boyfriend too?" Hana questions in a mocking, baby tone.

"Stop."

"She's a murderer and a ; what a combination. Anyways, we've gotta go. Hope you have a great lunch!"

The girl and her pack strut away, heads held high with pride. But pride of what? Of making Athena feel more guilty and miserable than she had before? Athena shook her head slightly, tears flying off her face in the process. Every word Hana had spoken stabbed Athena in the heart and her mind played the words over and over on replay until the girl had them memorized. For once, Athena thought that maybe she could move on and now, she knew that could never happen. Not when it was all her fault in the first place.

Unknown to her, Felix had arrived at the scene a few minutes ago, catching the last harsh words Hana had said to Athena before leaving. His heart broke at the sight of Athena slowing letting out staggered breaths, tears streaming down like a river. Felix wanted to run over and help her but right as he was about to, his phone pinged.

ThE nEw CHingOoS

Athena

Hey guys, something came up and I won't be at lunch. 

Leaving early like a rebel!😎

Anyway see ya girlies tomorrow 👋🏾

11:01am

Jisung

Aww, no fair!😫

11:02am

Somi

Alright, we'll see you later! 

11:02am

The boy watches as Athena quickly shoves her phone into her pocket and speed walks out of the building. He groans and ruffles his hair angrily. All Felix wanted to do was help and yet every time he tried, Athena would knowingly (or unknowingly) push him away. With a final sigh, Felix makes his way back to the group, his feelings tangled in an emotional mess.