Chapter 40

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

"Since you suggested the game, you go first," Athena says, grinning brightly.

"Alrighty then. What is your favourite colour?"

Athena raises an eyebrow. "Really? My favourite colour?"

"Yeah, was it such a bad question?" Felix huffs, crossing his arms. A frown forms upon his lips as he asks her the questions.

"No, no! It's not that!" Athena quickly defends. "I just thought you'd ask something, I don't know, funnier? Weirder?"

"I want to get to know you Athena. We've been hanging out for the past few months and though I know so much about Jisung and his horrible third grade playground incident, or Somi and her almost going bald as a baby situation or even Chan and his wild adventures in Australia, I know almost nothing about you. And I want to Athena, I want to know you."

"I want to know you too Felix. More than this but-"

"But what?"

Athena pauses and turns away from Felix. The idea of letting Felix in was so enticing. It would be easy, and Athena knew it. But once she let him in, he'd see everything, all the bad she had done. He'd see how much of a monster Athena was and then she would lose him, just like she lost Hyunjin. Athena couldn't bare for something like that to happen again, but she guessed, her favorite colour wouldn't hurt anyone. 

"Okay, I'll tell you my favourite colour," Athena finally says.

Felix smiles happily and urges her to go on.

"It's orange."

"Orange?"

Athena nods. "Like sunset orange. Right as the sun hits the horizon and the sky blooms into a beautiful gradient of colours. That orange is my favourite."

"It is beautiful," Felix agrees.

His eyes wonder to her and hold her gaze, almost appearing as though he was talking about something else; someone else. The girl feels herself blush lightly and decides to ask the next question.

"Okay then. Felix, what is your favourite fruit?"

Felix lets out a small laugh at the randomness of Athena's words before responding, "Apples."

"Ugh! You're so basic!"

"How am I basic?" Felix questions.

"Apples? They're boring," Athena explains.

"Oh yeah?"

Athena replies with a shrug and sips her hot chocolate with a smile. This causes the boy to laugh.

"Okay, so what's your favourite fruit?"

"Hmm, definitely grapes," Athena says , grinning.

Felix has to hold in his exclamation, remembering that the rest of the guests were sleeping. He gives the girl a side look and just chuckles.

"Alright Ms. Grapes, what's my next question?"

"All-time favourite movie?" Athena asks.

"Easy; the Fast and Furious movies."

"Boring."

Felix glares at Athena playfully. "The Fast series is iconic! I'll just say it now that whatever you think about it is irrelevant."

"Uh, rude!" Athena giggles. "They're not even about cars anymore."

"Um, they never were only about cars to begin with, it was always family," Felix hums, eyes closed like he spoke the obvious.

"Alright, alright. I'll take it back, for now anyway."

"Good, now my turn."

Before Felix continues he looks at Athena, smiling brightly back at him. She eyes him back and tilts her head.

"What?"

"Can I ask you something... something a little more than just favourite movies?"

Athena breaks contact. She was hoping Felix wouldn't want to delve into something deeper than what they were talking about now. Though, she felt like it was bound to happen. With Felix, she could never seem to truly hide her secrets from him.

"Sure," she answers softly. "What do you want to ask?"

"If magic was real, what's one thing you would wish for?"

The girl in question snorts and gives Felix a little grin. "I thought it was going to be a little more than that."

"Just think about it. Really think about."

And she did. As the room fell silent, it dawned on Athena that there were so many things she would wish for, somethings more important than others.

"A reset," she finally says. "I would wish for a reset."

"Why?" Felix questions.

Athena doesn't even mind that he asked her two questions in a row when she answers him. 

"There are somethings that I want - no, need to redo. I just want another chance to make things right. For me and for-"

She doesn't finish her sentence but Felix was already aware of what she was going to say, and Athena felt that she knew was too.

"Can I ask you something similar?"

Felix nods nonchalantly, though he could hear his heart pounding in his ears.

"What's something that nobody knows about you?"

"Wow, just jumping into it like that?" Felix says with a nervous chuckle.

"It doesn't have to be your deepest, darkest secret. Just something you've never really gotten around to telling people. Unless, you don't want to then that's fine too. I don't want to pry and-"

"Athena, it's okay," the boy interrupts.

She nods and then waits for him to answer. He takes his time as well, wondering what he could say or how he should say what he wants without revealing it all. Finally, once it all comes together in his mind, Felix speaks.

"I have a brother."

"Really?"

"Yup. But we're not that close or anything. He's someone I prefer not to talk about really."

"Oh."

The room fills with silence after that. Athena lets out a sudden yawn and stretches her arms causing Felix to laugh.

"I think our plan worked. You definitely seem tired."

As he says this, Felix releases a yawn himself and Athena laughs. "I guess you're pretty tired too."

The clock on the kitchen stove switches to 4:01 while the two finish cleaning up and head back to the living room. They make their way back to their original sleeping spots and settle in until they are warm and comfy. Athena sends Felix a smile before she shuts her eyes.

"Thank you Felix."

The words are barely audible, so quiet Felix almost doesn't catch it. But he does, and smiles silly as he watches her drift off to sleep.

"Thank you too Athena."

~~~

a/n

so this is probably the most bold you'll see ever :)

also take a drink every time athena doesn't finished her sentence 😅

love yall

~tallprou