Chapter 17

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

"So, this my new friend, Felix. He lives across the street from me," Athena tells them.

Felix waves awkwardly. "Um, hi. My name's Felix Lee and I just moved here from Australia."

Chan jumps up and smiles brightly. He sticks out his hand and with a firm voice, along with a strong Australian accent, he says, "G'day mate! I'm Australian too. Glad to have ya here with us."

The group bursts out into laughter and Felix blushes deep red. He accepts Chan's handshake anyways, muttering a small, embarrassed reply.

"Welp, now you know that Chan is also Australian," Athena announces.

"Don't worry. He did that to all of us on our first meeting. We all felt embarrassed. By the way, I'm Jisung."

"A loser is what he is. I'm Seungmin by the way," Seungmin says, cutting off Jisung.

"Hey, what did I say about calling Jisung a loser?" Chan questions.

"I'm not allowed to unless it's because he really lost," Seungmin recites.

"Good. Now apologize."

Seungmin exclaims a shout of protest which causes a chain reaction of yelling.

Shaking his head, Changbin turns to Felix with a smile. "I'm Changbin."

"Yes, our friendly, neighbourhood emo," Athena says with a laugh.

"Hey! I'm not emo. I just like dark."

"Okay, whatever. I'm Somi, the only sane one in this group," Somi tells Felix.

The group falls silent and stares at Somi before bursting out into fits of laughter.

"Sane? More like insane!" Chan exclaims.

"Yeah, she almost broke my arm one time," Seungmin states.

Athena nods her head with a chuckle. "Yeah, it's true. And nobody messes with Seungmin."

Felix shivers slightly in his seat. Athena notices and quickly calms them down.

"Look, we can't scare away Felix. He's going to school with us and I want him to have friends he doesn't fear."

Felix relaxes when they stop talking about almost destroying each other. Note to self: don't piss off Somi or Seungmin. They spent the rest of the time questioning Felix on his life prior to moving and about what he was most excited for now that he lived in Korea. He listened as they talked about their favourite movies and which was better than the other. This lead to a second planned hang out to binge watch all the High School Musical movies because Seungmin said they weren't as iconic as everyone says they are. Felix watched as Athena's eyes lit up in a way he'd never seen. She genuinely looked happy and it made Felix grin. Somehow, this girl's happiness could cause a feeling inside him that he'd never felt before.

"It was so nice hanging out here again," Jisung says.

They'd finished eating and were planning to leave, simply resting their stuffed bellies from all the delicious food. Everything was going so well. So well....

"Yeah, the last time we were here, Hyunjin..."

But Changbin doesn't finish his sentence as he realizes what he was about to say. He turns to Athena with apologetic eyes. She dismisses his gaze and in a breath. She promised herself she wouldn't cry. In reality, it was inevitable that they would bring him up, but she was still unprepared for the conversation to take such a turn.

Getting up, Athena gave them all a soft smile before excusing herself. "I'll just be a second."

As she passes Changbin, she places a hand on his shoulder for a brief moment, giving him a squeeze of reassurance--that she wasn't mad or angry-- before continuing on to the restroom.

"Great job," Seungmin says with a roll of his eyes.

"Don't be rude Seungmin," Somi immediately declares. "We all could've made a similar slip up so don't put any blame on Changbin."

Somi is quick to get up and follow the girl, leaving the five boys at the table in silence. Felix was confused. Again Athena had drifted away; her smile had faded and she seemed so distant from everything. He had seen no tears escape her eyes but he was sure that they had formed after she left the table. Felix felt that he needed to know why she was always acting like this and it seemed that the 'Hyunjin' person had something to do with it. Nervously, Felix asks,

"Who's Hyunjin?"

Chan glances at Felix. "She didn't tell you?"

"No, she hasn't told me anything about someone named Hyunjin."

"Well, Hyunjin was our friend and he was Athena's boyfriend," Jisung starts.

"And he was killed a month ago."