Chapter 26

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

"You haven't been coming to lunch recently."

Athena gazes at Felix but doesn't answer. Instead, she's caught in a trance, soaking up all the boy's features. She stares blatantly at his face and wonders how he always looked so beautiful. His freckles were out for the world to see today, as he usually hides them with make-up for school. He told Athena that they looked embarrassing but Athena thought they made him look all the more enchanting. The red in Felix's hair was fading into a soft pink-orange and Athena thought it never looked better. Everything about him was so..... enchanting. Athena feels herself blush at the thought and turns her head away.

Felix let out a sigh of relief and turned to look away as well. The staring made him feel exposed and he feared that soon, Athena would stare too long and find a flaw in him, something she didn't like. Then she would leave, and Felix didn't want Athena to leave. He wasn't sure he'd be able to deal with someone leaving his life, not again.

Finally regaining strength to speak, Felix utters out,"you still haven't answered my question."

"Oh. Um.... I've been busy," she replies.

"Busy?"

Athena nods. "I've had tons of homework to do and that's been taking up most of my time, so I've been at the library studying."

"The year just started. How do you have so much work that you can't come to lunch?" Felix questions.

"I want to do well, you know. Unlike some people," Athena says, nudging Felix.

He rolls his eyes and she laughs, letting them fall back into a comfortable silence.

The two teenagers had decided to be free from school work one night and hang out together. Felix had been the one to suggest it since he felt as though he hardly had been seeing Athena recently. Athena agreed because, who could ever say no to Felix? And that's how they arrived in Felix's backyard, sitting on a bench swing, eating snacks and chatting away into the summer night. 

Though Athena appeared to be okay, Felix feared she wasn't and after witnessing Hana speak so rudely to her, he was worrying way more than before. Plus, she'd been skipping lunch and Felix was worried she wasn't even eating. The boy lets out a small laugh, wondering how he'd become so concerned about Athena's well-being.

Athena glances at him with a quirked eyebrow. "What?"

"Nothing, just thinking that's all." Felix pauses before adding, "maybe I can join you then? That way you won't lonely while you study."

"No!" Athena blurts. "It's totally okay! I'm fine, you don't need to come with me."

She hadn't meant to come off as harsh, but Athena couldn't help being rash. After the little throw down with Hana, Athena was trying her best to avoid causing any problems for her friends, especially Felix. It hurt her; she missed her squad of friends and she really missed Felix, but Athena assured herself it was for the better. This way, she could take on all the hate and the stares while leaving her friends out of it. Athena knew it would hurt her even more if any of them got hurt because of her.

Felix just shakes his head in disappointment. He thought he was making progress with Athena. She had been talking to him more, at least before and after school, telling him more about her life and yet, he was still stuck at square one. Athena kept building more and more walls, pushing Felix further and further away, frustrating the boy. All he wants is help, why is Athena making it so hard for him to do so?

Noticing a frown on his face, Athena nervously places her hands on his and sends him a reassuring smile. Felix's eyes widen at the physical contact and all frustration melts away as he looks at Athena.

"I'll start coming to lunch again. I promise," Athena suddenly proposes, surprising Felix and herself.

"Promise?" 

Felix slips his hand out from her clasp and holds out a pinkie.

Heart beating unsteadily, Athena latches her pinkie with his and stamps thumbs. They lock sight of each other and both in a breath, somehow seeing there was more to this than they both knew.

"Promise."