Chapter 33

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

When Athena reaches the first floor, the front door opens, revealing a distraught looking Felix. Her mother welcomes the boy, Athena still completely unaware of his presence. She whizzes past them, entering the kitchen with one goal in mind; to fill her stomach with food.

"Athena," her mother calls softly. "You have a visitor."

Turning around, only then does she notice Felix standing at the door beside her mom.

Athena gasps slightly. "What are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to you."

Anyone who had eyes to see would know that Felix clearly wasn't doing too well. The boy had been fretting over the issue since he spoke to Chan and Somi. In all honesty, Felix wanted to know the story in full. Maybe then he could finally understand what was going on with the girl and how to properly help her. For now, Felix settled for talking her into speaking to the group again.

"No," Athena says after a long pause.

"No?"

Athena's mom decides to take her leave. She squeezes her daughter's shoulders and sends a small smile to Felix before disappearing to another room in the house. Her mother knew they wouldn't need her. They were grown, supposedly grown too much. They could figure this out themselves. At least, she hoped so.

"Athena, you have to stop shutting us out!" Felix finally exclaims. "We can't go on like this."

"But I have to!" Athena feels like she's on the verge of tears, her voice cracking as she speaks. "I can't be associated with you right now or maybe even ever. If I do then you all will get judged and shunned, and then how could I live with myself?"

"How are we suppose to live without you?"

The room silences.

"We miss you Athena," Felix mutters. I miss you.

Athena shakes her head and turns her back to the boy. All she wanted was to get a snack and now she's being bombarded about here whereabouts in her friends lives? Maybe I should've just stayed in my room.... The girl already knew what she was doing was wrong, but somehow, wallowing in self-hatred and guilt made her feel like she was getting justice for Hyunjin.

Felix eyes her before speaking up one more time - one more time before he decides to quit, even if he doesn't want to.

"Athena, no one's going to shut you out. We're on your side no matter what. So if some person wants to judge us and say mean things then let them. That doesn't change how we see you, how I see you. You have to remember that."

The girl lets out a spluttering sigh and Felix shifts over to her, engulfing her into a hug. She sobs in his arms, much like at the grocery store. But this time, the tears are of understanding and hopefully, a leap forward from her sad state of mind.