Chapter 3

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

There's a knock on Athena's door that wakes her from her endless sleep. She doesn't move to open it though, instead waiting for the person to open the door themselves.

"Athena honey, get up," her mom says softly, entering the room.

"Why?" Athena mutters.

"Because we have new neighbours and I want you to come with us and meet them."

"I don't think they'd want to meet me. It'd make them hate you and Dad."

"Why's that?" Her mother inquires.

"I'm a murderer. They'll think bad of you guys if they know that you have a criminal as a daughter," Athena blurts.

Her mother sighs and stares Athena down. "How many times do we—do I—have to tell you that it wasn't your fault. You didn't kill anyone, okay? You didn't do anything."

Athena just chuckles darkly. She turns away from her mother and faces the window. She watches as the kids in her neighborhood play and laugh. It hurts her heart to think that a month ago she was just like them; happy, content with her life. Now, even when Athena tried to be happy, she couldn't even muster up a fake smile.

"Well, you're still coming to meet the neighbors so, get dressed," her mom finally says. She gets up off Athena's bed and heads towards the door. "And take a shower, you're starting to smell."