Chapter 74

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

"I'm going out for a walk!" 

As Athena says this, she jumps around on one foot, trying to pull up her laced boots that she's too lazy to untie, which probably would've made the process much less straining. Stabilizing herself by placing one hand on the door, Athena successfully pulls up the boot and smiles.

"Don't be out long!" Her dad shouts out.

"Yeah, I won't!"

The girl opens the door, exclaiming one last goodbye, before closing it and heading off to her destination. 

The air is frigid and a layer of snow crunches under the girl's feet as she walks along the sidewalk. I guess, February is still winter, Athena notes to herself. She trudges on anyway, taking in the familiar views as she does. After her therapy session a few days ago, Athena has been feeling conflicted. She finally has a concrete feeling that she isn't going to push away, which is great, but what about all the others? Dr. Kim told her to take it step by step, but some of them are imposing on her relationships with the people in her life and honestly, Athena is over it. She just wants to feel normal again.

She thinks about Felix and releases a sigh that wisps into the cold wind. He didn't deserve her outburst that day. Felix had only been trying to help and it wasn't like he was wrong about how she felt towards him. Athena knew she needed to sort that out soon, or else it would fester into something neither of them would recover from. 

Looking around, Athena realizes she's reached the bridge Hyunjin showed her. The boy had taken her there the first summer after they officially started dating and they spent most of their summer nights there, watching the sunset while talking about life. She had never gone in the winter but It still gave Athena the comfort it always did, even with the snow covering the railings. Athena brushes some away and rests her arms atop of the railings. She rests her head on them and tilts it to the left, noticing a sight that shocks her. She jumps up and dusts away the snow from her face.

"Felix?"