Chapter 18

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

Hyunjin and Athena's love story was quite a cliche.

Hyunjin, as most would assume, was a very popular boy in their school. He was athletic and had looks that made him seem like a model, even in just their school uniform. He was kind though, and never took anything he got for granted. You could say he was the nicest jock you've ever met. And, though he didn't look like it, Hyunjin's friends knew that he was a serious cutie behind the popular persona he played.

With this knowledge, it's no surprise that 99.9% of the school's population were in love with him. This did not exclude Athena. She had a major crush on him. So major that, if he even was in the same vicinity of her, the girl would turn into a clumsy mess. Athena wished she could be more confident around him but she couldn't help it. Whenever he spoke to her (the rare times) or even locked eyes for a few seconds, Athena would turn to a speechless piece of jello.

~~~~

"You should just talk to him already!" Somi had exclaimed one afternoon. They (excluding Chan who was busy with his job) were having a picnic at the park near Changbin's house to celebrate finally finishing midterms. "He's like, in all your classes," she exaggerates.

"Nope, no can do. That's just not happening!"

"What's not happening?" Jisung questioned, running up behind Somi and squishing her in a hug.

"Ew! Let go of me you sweaty squash!"

Jisung raised an eyebrow while Athena giggled. "What's a sweaty squash?"

Somi just rolled her eyes and shoved the boy off her. Changbin and Seungmin arrived shortly after, both dying to get their hands on some water.

"I honestly don't know how you all do physical activity," Athena stated.

"That's 'cause you're one of the laziest people I know," Seungmin answered.

"Rude."

The group broke into fits of laughter while Athena simply pouted.

"Okay, enough of this small talk. You guys need to tell me what's not happening!" Jisung blurted.

Seungmin and Changbin exchanged a confused look before glancing at Somi and Athena.

"What's he talking about?"

Athena groaned and rolled onto the ground into a ball. Somi just rolled her eyes once a again before explaining the situation to the boys. "As we all know. Athena has a slight obsession with Hyunjin-"

"I do not!"

"Yeah, you kind of do," Changbin piped up.

Before they could delve deeper into that conversation, Somi silenced them. 

"Um, do you want to hear the rest or not?" They quieted down and Somi smiled, continuing on with her oh-so-exciting story. "So basically, I just told Athena that she should talk to him and she said she that that was never going to happen."

"Why not? I'm sure Hyunjin would love to talk to you," Jisung said softly.

"Yeah right," Athena snorted. "He probably doesn't even know I exist."

At this, the boys shared a knowing looking.

Now, though Athena thought Hyunjin didn't even know she was alive, the boys knew that it was actually quite the opposite. In reality, Hyunjin had an equally, if not larger, crush on Athena. The boys were friends with Hyunjin so they heard him talk all about it. Hyunjin was sincerely head over heels. He would go on and on about how beautiful and kind Athena was. He always tried to talk to her or be around her but it seemed as though she didn't want to be near him. Hyunjin was convinced that Athena didn't like him, but they all knew that wasn't the case.

Finally, tired of watching their friends act like boo boo the fool, Somi and the boys devised a perfect plan to jump-start their relationship.

~~~~

"Do you think it'll work?" Chan asked as they had filled him in on the plan as well.

Somi shushed him and turned back to the scene in front of her. The crew were crouched behind the walls of the school, watching Athena as she waited for them in the school gardens. Only, they weren't going to arrive but instead, Hyunjin would show up.

The plan created was obviously not fool-proof, but it was the best they could do with limited resources.

Seungmin let out a squeal and slapped Jisung repeatedly. "OMG! He's arrived!"

"Ow! You didn't have to hit me. I can see too," Jisung exclaimed.

"You both won't be able to see if you keep talking," Somi warned.

The two shut themselves up while Changbin and Chan held back laughs. They all returned their eyes to the gardens, crossing fingers in hopes that the plan would work.

Athena paced slowly across the path, checking her watch every now and then. Somi had informed her that they would all meet up at the gardens before going to get ice cream, but they seemed to be taking their sweet time. As she was pacing and unaware of her surroundings, she accidentally bumped into someone. Assuming that it was one of her friends, she looked up and started to yell.

"Why did you take so long?! I've been waiting here for thirty minutes already! Honestly, if you weren't my friends, I would've ditched you all!"

She heard a chuckle and gave the person a full look over. She gasped.

"I'm sorry about your friends. But, if you'd like, I could take you out for ice cream." Hyunjin gave her a charming smile and Athena almost fainted.

"I-I'm so sorry. I thought you were one of my friends. I didn't mean to yell," she stuttered out.

Hyunjin just waved it off. "It's no biggie."

Silence fell upon them. Athena rocked back and forth on her heels, unsure of what to do. Her crush was finally talking to her but she couldn't think of a word to even sputter out. Hyunjin on the other hand, feared that this was going to be his last chance to ever talk to Athena without her running away or him being surrounded by his friends. So, taking a deep breath, Hyunjin finally decided to take a risk.

"So, Athena, do you want to get ice cream with me?"

Athena glanced at Hyunjin with a confused look. "You know my name?"

"Of course. You're in almost all my classes. Plus, you're one of the prettiest girls I know."

"One of?"

They both laughed and Athena suddenly felt calm. "Sure. Let's go get ice cream."

~~~~~~~~~ 

From there on, the two became inseparable. The group were glad with their handy work but never ended up telling them about the truth of their first proper meeting, a secret kept between the five. Hyunjin and Athena were a picture perfect couple. They truly cared for each other and most people thought they'd be together for forever.

Which is why everyone was so surprised with Hyunjin's death and Athena involvement. Did she really kill the love of her life?