My First Date

I Missed You

Ohno-san took my hand and started walking out. I was surprised at the sudden action he took. It was unusual for Ohno-san to be acting this way.

He is being more aggressive than usual. Was this the Ohno-san I fell in love with years ago? But if I think about it, he was acting unusual this whole day.

Before we left the room, I tried stopping him from leaving. "Ohno-san! Where are we going? There are things still left to do here!"

He stopped right before the door with Tegoshi-san watching. "I'm taking you out on a date. Is that wrong? Can't I?" He looked at me with sad eyes.

"It's not-"

Tegoshi-san pulled Ohno-san's hand away from my wrist. "It doesn't seem like she likes it. Why don't you cut it out?"

Before anyone else could do anything, I took Ohno-san's hand and ran out. It was still evening and a bit dark out. I didn't mind but at the same time, I did.

Ohno-san stopped running by a glittering fountain. He pulled me towards him and put his arms around my waist from behind. "Where do you think you're going?"

"I'm... I'm going to where you are going."

After he sighed, he put his other arm around my waist and I put my hand on his cheek. He turned me around and looked at me intently with his hands on my waist.

What are you thinking? Why are you looking at me like that? What's wrong? What about the date you were talking about? Are we going?

Then he suddenly took my hand and started walking into a clothes shop but before we entered, I pulled my hand away and shook my head not wanting to go in there. He picked me up like he did this morning and walked in as so. I was very embarrassed. As soon as he put me down, I tried to go away but he grabbed onto my wrist. I wanted to cry but I held back my tears. He brought me to the dress corner and picked out a ruby red colored dress.

He held it out to me blushing and said, "Here. Wear this on the date."

"But what about my clothes? I thought we were going right now. And besides, I don't like dresses." His eyes became thin. "But I think I would like to try it on at least since that is my favorite color. Can I choose to wear it to the date or not then?"

As soon as I spoke those words, he quickly turned to me and brought me to the dressing room. I took my footwear off and went into the dressing room with the dress. Right when I was about to close the curtain, Ohno-san walked in. My face immediately turned red.

I trembled. "W-why are... Why did you come in?"

He chuckled. "You're so innocent. I know you need help putting the dress on."

I walked backwards to the corner and kept the dress in front of me. I couldn't flee.

This is really troublesome. Why is he here?

"You're wondering why I'm here with you in the changing room when we can call the worker right? It's because I don't want anyone but me to be touching you."

"What are you saying? This isn't good. We're both celebrities. If we get found out..."

"That doesn't matter anymore." He put his index finger on my lips.

What does he mean anymore? It's not like we're getting married anytime soon. He hasn't even found out that I'm Tai-chan yet.

Ohno-san took the dress and hung it up on the wall so it was easier for him to take my clothes off knowing that I wanted to do it myself. He took almost every single piece of clothing off. I felt even more embarrassed as I was trying to hide. He put his hands on my waist and kissed one of my cheeks. I flinched and closed my eyes. I couldn't take this. Thinking that, Ohno-san took the dress and handed it to me. He left after I took the long dress that covered my legs.

What did he come in with me for? If you look at the dress closely, you don't need a worker's help to wear this. Was it on purpose?

I came out of the dressing room with the dress on. Ohno-san's eyes sparked. He was wearing a suit and also had something in his hand. He walked up to me and started doing something with my hair. He held up a mirror in front of me. There was hairpin of a marigold beautifully coordinated with the dress. My hair was put up nicely as well. I looked up at Ohno-san with glittering eyes. He blushed and walked to the cashier to hide it. He paid for the dress and the hairpin in my place. But it was expensive for just the two items. He handed me a bag with my clothes in it.

Why put my clothes in such a bag? Why not bring the clothes home before the date? Well, either way... I guess I'm wearing this dress to the date...

Ohno-san took my hand and put his fingers in between mine. "O-Ohno-san..." He noticed what he was doing and let go.

Ohno-san was walking a few steps in front of me. I held his hand in my two hands and walked right next to him. We arrived at a hotel.

A hotel? But this isn't just any hotel you see anywhere. The lights are very bright even in the dark. What is this place?

"Ohno-san, what is the exact meaning of this? I thought we were going to have dinner. I thought was only a date. Why are we at such a place?"

"This isn't just a hotel. Come in with me."

 

--------------------

 

There was a huge room. Many people of the high class were there. I was surprised. I kept hold of Ohno-san's hand. I knew I shouldn't be but I was too nervous not to. Couples were dancing in the middle of the room while rest of the people were having their meal.

"Would you like to eat first or dance with me?"

"Erm... I think I want to eat. I haven't been eating much today. I don't think I can dance as well as you can. I don't even think I can dance at all."

"You can dance. Believe in yourself. What happened to your motto? Don't wait for the storm to pass. There's simply not enough time to wait. Dance in the rain. But if you want to eat first, go ahead. I'll take a seat and eat with you."

I felt many eyes upon us. I was thinking of the worst case scenarios. This could go on the newspapers. Ohno-san had his arm around my waist so we won't get separated.

 

--------------------

 

While eating dinner by the window with the nice view of Tokyo, Ohno-san asked. "Have you ever been on a date before?"

"This is my first date with someone. I've never had a boyfriend. I've never had any friends in general. I've never been in any type of relationship. I've always been in love with someone everyone in Japan knows since way-back-when."

"Have you ever told him your feelings?"

"Yes. I believe he knows it very well. We were in love with each other. We've promised to meet again but it was difficult for both of us. He became busy with his work since young and I was going through my own troubles."

Ohno-san's expression didn't change and he took my hand to lead the dance to the song. He put one of my hands on his shoulder and held the other. His other hand went down to my waist. My muscles suddenly became tense from his action.

"Don't worry about the people looking at you and follow me. I know what you're going to say. We shouldn't be doing these things as well known celebrities. But can't we have some fun together? You fall asleep the moment you get to my house. There are always people around when we're out. I never get to have you for myself." And so, I danced along.

I felt a glare on me from behind. I looked behind to see but nobody was glaring at me. What was going on? I was extremely sensitive when it came to those kinds of things.

Was my instinct incorrect?

I stepped closer to Ohno-san.

"What's wrong Reena-chan?" I grabbed onto his sleeve and bit my bottom lip. "You seem to be afraid of something. Let's go away from here. Here, give me your hand."

I held his hand with both of mine and started walking.

 

--------------------

 

Ohno-san brought me to a room. "Wait, Ohno-san! You never told me that we were staying over! And on top of that, we're staying in the same room!"

"I couldn't tell you. I wanted to surprise you but I guess it came out the wrong way to you. Just... Come in..." He pulled my wrist into the room.

Ohno-san brought me to the other side where there were windows and we could see the nice view of Tokyo. It looked even prettier with the lights of the room off. I was looking down and I could see that the Tokyo tower was shining red.

Silence followed for a while.

"Ree... Reena..." He looked away in search for the right words.

"Ohno-san, the Tokyo tower is really pretty."

"You're right. It's even prettier tonight since I'm with you." My heart skipped a beat and I looked right at him when he said that. "But... But it's not as pretty as you are. You're even prettier. You're... You're beautiful. You're so gorgeous." I heard clicks but Ohno-san put his hand around my shoulder so I couldn't turn around. "Reena-chan... I... I love you."

We faced each other and I thought I saw Ohno-san holding a box in his hand. But the next moment, he wasn't holding anything. He wrapped me around the shoulders.

I was having flashbacks to 15 years ago. "Reena-chan!" "See you next summer!" "You're our first fan!" "Let's be like this forever!"

I heard both the past Ohno-san and the present Ohno-san say this one certain phrase at the same time. "I love you."

I felt light as if I was a feather. It was like all the chain that has been tying me together my whole life was all an illusion. I was allowed to let it all go. It was unnecessary to keep all this weight with me. I felt like I was floating in midair.

"Reena-chan... I know this is a kind of a sudden and out of the blue and all, but have you've never been on a date before right?"

"As you might already know, I never had any friends and I didn't have presence. Therefore, I didn't have much chances of being with other people. For the prom senior year, there were more guys than girls and guys usually asked the girl out. So some girls were asked by a few guys at once. I wasn't asked out by anyone. But even if I was asked to go with someone, I wouldn't have gone. I was already in love with someone else. So... This is my first date."

"Sorry I kinda forced you to come with me here. I should've asked first." He apologized as his hand went behind his neck.

I smiled at him. "It's okay. Don't worry about it. I had a fun time."

Ohno-san stood straight and held out the box. He opened the box and there it was. There was a diamond ring with two small rubies next to the diamond. It must've been expensive.

"I love you. Would you like to marry me?"

"I love you Reena-chan! And I always will."

The voices in my head circled...

"I have some questions. Is it okay if it's someone like me?"

"No... It's not okay if it's someone like you. It has to be you."

"Why? Is it because I remind you of Tai-chan? Are you asking me to replace her?"

"Yes... It's because you remind me of Tai-chan... Sorry..."

I smiled. "There's no need to apologize. It's okay to see me as Tai-chan. Rather... See me as Tai-chan. I'm... Tai-chan."