Smile Gently

I Missed You

This story is in Ohno Satoshi's point of view.

 

Silence fell after MatsuJun went after Reena-chan. I noticed Nino grab onto his pants from shame though it wasn't all his fault.

Remember what Reena-chan told you. It isn't all your fault. You're not the only one who took part of it. We all took part of it one way or the other. It's our fault.

Nino stood up and left as if to take a breather and for us to feel lighter.

As if to break the silence in between the three of us, Sho-chan asked. "Why didn't you tell me about the welcoming surprise party for Reena-chan?"

"You don't need to know the reason Sho-chan." When I noticed, I was blaming myself more than I thought. I was probably blaming myself more than Nino has been.

"Yes I do, you guys are clearly hiding something from me." Sho-chan's instincts were sharp when it doesn't have to be.

"We did it because we felt like it. We didn't do a welcoming party for Reena-chan yet. She left to buy stuff with you so that was the only chance for us to surprise her." I wondered how long this heavy atmosphere would last.

"You could have at least told me though. You could've texted me or called or something. There was no need to hide it was there?" He was being stubborn.

"We wanted to make it natural. We thought you'd buy things that'll make her suspicious." Aiba-chan joined the conversation.

"How would I make it suspicious? You know I'm strict when it comes to acting."

"You're not good enough for her level. She has sharp senses when it comes to change and awkwardness. She finds out about things quite quickly."

"She found out at the front porch even if you didn't tell me. She said she didn't feel safe when I was going to let her in. She knew that something was wrong. Something was unusual. She found out either way so was really no point in you not telling."

"You're so smart and yet so stubborn." I was nodding off. "What time is it?"

"Are you trying to change the subject?"

"Why would I do that? I'm just tired. You should know better than that by now."

"Wonder what's going on with those three." Aiba-chan said after he let out a sigh.

"From how Reena-chan sounded, she's probably babbling about the argument to MatsuJun while Nino is standing in front of the door all depressed."

"Don't you need to go after them?" Sho-chan asked me.

"For what reason? They'll do something about it themselves."

"But are you -"

"Sho-chan! Stop!" Aiba-chan cut him off in the middle of his sentence.

I headed for the door.

When I reached the front door and was about to open it, I heard Aiba-chan. "Now you've done it! Why are we always so awkward when it comes to times like this?"

"Shut up! Do you know how to be quiet?"

I lightly hit both of their head.

"Riida! Why are you here?" Aiba-chan was surprised to see me.

"What do you mean why am I here? You seriously thought I left without saying a word? You're so cute and childish. Don't argue. What am I supposed to do if even you two argue? I have to watch after each and every one of you. I'm your leader after all. What would happen, if I can't do anything to settle all of this on my own? I need to start from the small ones."

Right. I have to get myself together.

I headed towards the door to leave.

"Are you leaving?" Sho-chan asked.

"Yeah. I'll be waiting for them outside. I guess that's all I can do right now." I put one hand behind my neck and rubbed it lightly.

I opened the door and saw that Nino wasn't there. I went down the stairs and looked around. With my hands in my pockets, I breathed into the air and saw that my breath was white. I took one hand out in front of myself. I could feel the cold snow on the tip of my fingers.

Dear... Snow... Dear Snow... Azayaka ni... Yuki wa tada shizukani... Marude anatano yo ni... Sotto hohoemu... You... Smile gently...

"You smile... Your smile..."

I was looking up at the sky.

I'm being so greedy since Reena-chan is back here in Japan.

I reached my hand up into the sky. A part of me gave up on meeting her again, but I was so relieved when we met again. I hate to admit it even days after I found out she was the person I was looking for. I've been waiting for her for such a long time.

I took a deep breath as I started to hear familiar voices.

I put my hand back in my pocket and looked at who it was. I raised my hand back up again started waving at the group of three people. I took a few steps towards them. As we got closer, one of them was running to me. I put my arms out as I waited.

I finally saw Reena-chan's face clearly in the light from Sho-chan's house and caught her in my arms. I held onto her tightly in my arms not willing to let go. Then she looked up at me with her sweet smile making me want more. It made me want to keep her in my arms in the cold like this. I didn't want others to see her smile like this so I decreased the distance in between our faces and snuggled. As we were snuggling, I heard an explosion from behind and Reena-chan looked terrified. It must have been because of the car accident she was involved in years ago.

Reena-chan... The past is in the past... You should know that. You even told Nino didn't you? Then why are you shaking? Why are you afraid? What do you fear? Is it because you're running away from your past? How can you say something so cool when you didn't even get through your own? You worry too much. You make us worry too much.

I mumbled under my breath so nobody else could hear. "Reena-chan, are you running away? Don't run away from your past. Stop running. You know that's the worst thing to do. You fear because you run. When you run, it comes chasing after you. They want to see you fear even more. The more you try to forget, the more you can't escape. You get trapped by those you fear. Just lock it up in your heart as if nothing happened. There's no need to run from anything. Just face it. You can do it. You have the ability to do so."

I started calling her name. I wanted her to hear me. I wanted to her to hear my voice. Nobody else's. I put my mouth by her ear and called her.

That was when she returned to reality.

Look at me. What happens around us doesn't matter. We're all different. We all have different experiences.Change that experience to strength.

I held onto her hand and brought her back into Sho-chan's place.

"Hey Sho-chan, we're back." I said as I entered.

"Hey, did something happen? What's with that face?"

"Face? This is my face. Do you mean that I don't look happy? It's only natural."

"You're so sharp today. It's not like you." Aiba-chan spit out.

"And you're honest. I like that. But I don't think you should be the one saying that I'm sharp today. Your corners were pointed all night. There wasn't a single round edge this night."

"Then let's have a party next time! How about a circle party? So we can all be together in a circle and end with a happily ever after!" Aiba-chan's emotion always changed immediately.

I didn't like it. I sighed.

"Reena-chan, you okay? You have tear marks on your cheeks." MatsuJun changed the subject.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Don't worry about it. It's nothing to worry about." She looked up and gave her smile to MatsuJun. I wanted to interfere so he couldn't see.

Look at who is running away now? Or is this jealousy? I can't even understand my own feelings. She's very magical. How does she do that? I swear... I sometimes worry if she really understands what we are trying to tell her.