Some Distance

I Missed You

I went home in a dash. I sat in front of the computer with my glasses on and started to check the clips. I deleted those that were bad and put the good clips together.

I was hungry. I was nodding off. But I still worked until I ran out of battery.

When I woke up, I was still in front of my desk but there was a sheet of blanket that covered my shoulders. It must've been Kei-niichan.

I worked on songs and music videos almost every single day. My two songs released without warning on November 26th, the day I debuted, and also Ohno-san's birthday. The singles were sold out everywhere because of the sudden release. It has been revealed the day of.

Ohno-san and I texted everyday but we couldn't meet so often. The more we couldn't meet, the more I felt lonely. The more we texted, the more I wanted to meet him. I wanted to do something about this before I became a workaholic. I didn't even know why I was writing lyrics everyday. To live life easier in the future? To have a stable life? It wasn't like I had to do things by a certain time but I did it anyways. It was what I lived off of.

I decided to take a month or so off for myself rather than work. I've already had enough completed anyways. I didn't know why I couldn't stop.

I chose to contact Ohno-san about my time off from work and all the thinking I've been doing for the past few weeks. I asked him if we could meet and when. Before I sent him this text, I felt my heart beating against my chest. I've always turned him down for work and I was asking him if we could be together after the number of times I told him that I couldn't. I held my phone close to my chest as if that would help me calm down and relax.

 

--------------------

 

I stood by the clock on this cold evening in December. Buildings and street lights were decorated in preparation for the Christmas holidays. I hummed as I waited for the man to arrive and watched my white breath disappear in the air.

"Reena-chan!" A man called as he came running from the fountain in the middle. "I'm sorry! Did I make you wait in this cold?"

I looked to see who it was and saw that it was Ohno-san.

"Ohno-san, I'm sorry for being so selfish. I'm always dragging you around according to my own schedule instead of yours. I didn't realize the amount of time I actually had for myself and to be with you until recently. I've been overwhelmed with my work I didn't have to do but I did it anyways in the short amount of time and --"

"At least you have time for me now because of that." He patted my head. "You're cold! I must've made you wait. Here, have my scarf."

"No, you need it. You just came from work. It must've been warm in the building. You'll catch a cold if you get in contact with the cold all of a sudden. And besides, I chose to come dressed like this. Don't worry about me."

He sighed and gave a suggestion. "I can't win against you. You must be tired though. Come over tonight. I'm just as tired."

We kept some distance as we walked. I didn't know what to talk about.

"I've listened to your new singles. One reminded me of the time when you came back from America after fifteen years."

"Acceptance? I was reminded of that time when I was writing the other single. And that's what inspired me to write it."

"Do you usually look for inspiration for your songs?"

"I try to. But I guess they're all my opinions and the things I'd like to express to everyone. I try to send a message that they're not alone."

Ohno-san brushed my hair and smiled. "After leaving me alone with work for quite a long while? You sometimes forget things that are right in front of your eyes."

"I'm sorry, I couldn't stop thinking about work."

"You need some refresher from time to time. Leave the house once in awhile. Take a walk around the neighborhood. You can watch different shows."

"There's not many things I can do is there?" I chuckled. "I just want everyone to feel safe. I want to tell the world about my experiences and what I saw. There's still hope as long as you continue living. That's what I believe and I know it's true."

Ohno-san pulled me into his bedroom. We brought ourselves close to each other and he started singing softly into my ear.

"Ohno-san, aren't you tired from work today? Don't you want to take a bath and rest for the night?" I questioned as he sang.

"I'd rather stay with you." Ohno-san said after a yawn.

"But you need your rest. You're even yawning."

"Then, will you come in with me?" I don't want to let you go.

Will this last every night? I don't know if I have the energy and stamina to keep up with his. But this may last just the first three nights.

"Just for tonight. Because you don't have work tomorrow. Is that alright with you? I don't want you to be tired when you have work."

"I don't know if I can endure it though."

"Of course you can. You've come this far already. I know you can." I tried my best to convince him while he's calm and down to earth.

He shrugged. "Okay. If you say so. Just tonight."

 

--------------------

 

He held me close even if he fell asleep. I started to worry about myself. I didn't struggle to leave his embrace. Instead, I brought myself closer and thought about our future.

 

--------------------

 

When I woke up, I could feel a heartbeat that wasn't mine. I pushed my upper body away to have a good look around. I couldn't remember what I did the previous night until I had a look at Ohno-san just under me, half . Just then, I realized the breeze I was feeling. His eyes opened wide and I yelped not knowing what to do.

He sat up and looked at me intensely. He looked at every part of me without leaving a spot unseen. He held onto my wrists to be sure that he looked at everything and even touched me to be even more sure about it. I could feel my face flush red from embarrassment but he didn't seem to mind how I felt about it at all. It went to the point that he started smelling some parts of me. I could feel his breath tickling my skin. I couldn't believe that he was still hungry from the intense battle we already had just moments before we fell asleep.

"I'm glad it wasn't a dream." I heard him whisper to himself.

"I... Kinda wish it was..." I said looking into his eyes.

"I'm sorry I was being selfish last night." He was brought back to reality. "I didn't want you to leave me for work instead. You know I need you now that you're back from America."

I couldn't do anything but sigh and forgive him after hearing that.

We officially started the day as if nothing happened. But we couldn't erase the fact that what happened the previous night happened.

I couldn't keep eye contact with him. I always happened to look down at my nails each time just to avoid it when his head moved.

"Ohno-san, I don't feel well." I told him so I didn't have to leave the house to avoid the cold. "I don't know if we can go anywhere today."

He looked at me. He sighed and grinned. He came over and hugged me tightly. He looked more excited than usual. I wondered what was going on in his mind.

"We can stay home all day without worrying about the eyes of other people! Let's watch the shows I've been wanting to watch with you! I'm sure you'll like it!"

I was surprised and chuckled. "What is it? What genre is it? Is it scary?"

"It's a surprise. Just wait and see. You know, you could've just said if you didn't want to go. I can't tell what you're feeling sometimes. You know how much that makes me worry?"

Oh... He knew about it...

"You knew about it? Haha. How careless of me."

"That's not the point. My point is, just be honest with me. I'm playing it."

After he put the show on, he came next to me and sat. I hugged his arm and held his hand. He put his fingers in between my own and the show started.