Christmas

I Missed You

I was walking in the cold with Ponta in my arms. I put him in my scarf so that he won't get cold. I went to the park I used to go play as a child years ago. I'd always find stray cats here.

Ponta jumped off of me and ran towards one of the bushes. I walked up to him and saw a few kittens. The mother came out after a few seconds, fearing us.

"Ponta, can you tell her that it's okay and that she doesn't have to fear us? We just came to look for your wife. And I used to come here for the stray cats often when I was little. But that would be so many years ago."

I took my hand out to the cat as I looked at her in the eye.

"You know, I'd be surrounded by the stray cats around here as a child. And that's all I came here for. I'd stay until the streetlights and my mother or father came to pick me up." I said as she my finger. "Aren't you hungry? Don't you want something to eat? It's cold here, do you want to, maybe, come over? I'll hide you in my room so promise me not to make so much noise. Can you do that?"

I picked up the cat and brought it close to my face. I put the kittens in my jacket and let Ponta take care of the cat.

This Christmas is great. I had a party the night before, and now I'm bringing story cats home though I've been looking for Ponta’s partner.

"Are any of you cold? Are you comfortable? You're all so adorable. I hope you like it in my room and not cause any trouble. You're going to have so much fun."

I carefully entered the house. Ponta went up the stairs as I followed slowly with the kittens. He was rubbing his head against the door. I opened it and he went in. I put the kittens on the bed and brought the mother cat to the room. I slowly closed the door so none of them would be afraid. I was looking at the mother.

"Do you know me?" I smiled. "There's no way you'd know huh? It's been more than fifteen years ago when I came as a child. You weren't born back then were you?"

I turned the lights off since it was bright enough. I put my face on the bed and let out a sigh. I sat in front of my desk and started using the sewing machine to make blankets for the little ones.

I opened one of my empty desk drawer and put in the finished blanket. I explained that they could be in there so that they won't be found but I reminded them not to make any sound and the mother to close it and hide by the desk since she won't be able to fit in there.

 

--------------------

 

"Nyanko, I'll be leaving the house for a while to meet with some people. If you have any questions, ask Nyanta. Nyanta, you know what you have to do. Don't break the glass, the food is in the kitchen, and stay inside. I'll get going then." I stood up.

I rushed down the stairs as Kei-niichan called. I yawned.

"Reechan, you have the address to where we're meeting up? I seem to have lost it somewhere." He asked as we entered the car.

"I think so." I went through my bag. "I found it. Here."

I handed him the piece of paper with the address on it.

It was quiet in the car. I took a glance at niichan but he was looking ahead. There was some sort of tension in between. I didn't know why.

"Reechan, are you hiding something from me?" He suddenly asked.

"Nope. Why do you ask?"

"What have you been doing lately?"

"I've been talking with Ponta and playing with him. I was making new clothings. I was playing games. I was thinking about work." I said as I folded my fingers.

"Is that so?"

"Do you not believe me?" I looked at him.

"No, it's not that. I mean, I believe you. It's that I don't know what's been going on in your room."

"My room? Why my room?"

"I don't know. It seems that you're hiding something from me and I'm not liking it."

"Oh really? Does it look like that to you? My bad. I was thinking if I should write my own lyrics to songs. Because, you know how I have two songs now right? One as a debut and the second for the theme of the drama Hiyokoi starting in April this year?"

"Yeah?"

"I couldn't and still can't really relate to the song so much. I really love and enjoy listening to the song called Rashisa by SUPER BEAVER because the lyrics are very meaningful and I can really relate to it, you know what I mean?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Sure? What do you mean sure? It's such a nice song Kei-chan. You should listen to it at least once. It's about your own identity and how you shouldn't be ashamed of who you really are at heart. What does everyone else have to do with you? You are meant to be you. Everybody's different. That's why we agree and disagree on certain things."

"What's your favorite part of the song?"

"Everything. I just love everything about it. There's this one part that goes,

Henka ga kowakute

Kawaranu hibi mo kirai de

Kawaritakute kawarenakute

Kodomo no koro wo omottari mo e

Miushinaisoude

Jibun de aru imi toka*.

And, I also like the chorus part. Also the very last line. Because there's a treasure that'll never change. Those words really ring to me."

"That's nice to hear. Good luck with that."

"I don't think I need luck to be able to do this. I already have an image of what kind of songs I want to sing. You know, I also want to sing a song for an anime."

"There's just so much things you want to do."

"Well, life is too short to just sit around and do nothing. I want to move and change history. I want this era to be a great era that will last forever. I want my songs to live eternally in everyone's heart."

"Wow. You're very romantic also." He stated calmly. "Well, look at where we are now. We're here already. We'll finish this talk later."

"Can we talk about it with the others?"

"If you want, then go ahead. I'm not bringing it up."

We headed towards the group of people. One of them waved at us. I waved back. I pulled Kei-niichan's hand so he'd walk quicker.

"Happy new year guys. You've finally come. I'm really glad you could make it." Nakai-san put his hand out for a shake.

I gave a slight smile and took his hand. "It's very nice to meet you again."

"Yeah, it's been since the first time we've met. When was that? Early August?"

"It was early September." I corrected him.

"Oh, I apologize. Koyama, she's giving me such a cold attitude." He said whining.

"Don't worry about it. It's just her."

I looked around and saw Miyake-san. I tugged onto Kei-niichan's sleeve.

"What is it Reechan? I'm talking with Nakai-kun." I stepped away. "I didn't say you could talk to me. Can't you just wait a moment?"

"Can I go talk with someone?"

"Did you need to get my permission? Go ahead. Socialize."

I smiled and went off to Miyake-san.

 

*Those lines translate to:

I feared change

But I didn't like these unchanging days

I wanted to change but I couldn't.

I thought about my childhood days

And I was about to lose sight

Like what it means to be yourself