A Nightmare

I Missed You

I was trapped in a black space and I couldn't see anything.

What is this? Where am I? Is this a nightmare? How do I get out of this place? There must be an exit. I must find it. Help... Arashi...

Ohno-san's face popped into my head and I suddenly opened my eyes wide open and saw the empty ceiling of the room of a hospital I was in. I couldn't see so well. My vision was blurry.

"This is the worst one yet my sweetheart. What did you see this time? How did you feel? How do you feel now?"

When my vision became clear, I saw my mother's worried face at the corner of my eye and she was holding onto my hand. I felt my own sweat falling from not only my face but my whole body. I was shaking and my mother's grasp tightened.

It was only the third time I had such a headache and visions and yet my mother was acting as if it was all normal for these events to happen to me. It felt as if I was the one who wasn't normal compared to others. It may just be that everyone else isn't normal. This made me feel left out.

I looked up to see my father standing by the door with a dark face. He was shaking one leg. I've never seen him overwhelmed in such a way. He was always acting tough and he didn't drop a single tear since the death of my brother.

"Mother... Father... While you were gone, I was eating lunch with Kei-niichan. Just when I was about to stand up to clean up after myself, I felt bangings in my head. I thought my skull was going to fall apart. I thought my brain was going to explode. Then I felt someone dragging me and I felt my whole body shaking and hitting something around me. The force wasn't normal. It was so strong that it was close to impossible that someone was doing it. My head was banging in midair and my brain was going from side to side in my skull. I couldn't see very well because of the shaking, but what I experienced in that one headache felt like a car accident. A short moment before the shaking started, I saw a truck coming from one side. While I was asleep before you guys came, I was standing in a dark place. I didn't know where it was. It was as if I was being into something horrific. Then I saw you, mother, beside me holding onto my hand and you, my father, by the door."

A truck. A shaking sensation. A car accident. Then a dark place. Horrific. Something bad? What can that be? Minor injuries? Bone fractures? Or even worse... Death? What can the horrifically dark place represent in my life? Why was I alone there? Why was I seeking help? Why did Momo-chan's face pop into my head the moment I woke up? But that wasn't him... Could that be someone else? But it was definitely him. Could it have been him in the future?

There was a knot in my heart.

My mother explained to the doctors and nurses everything about my headache and the visions I saw my whole life but they have never had a client who went through this. They have not heard a single person who has been through this aside from me and I was completely healthy.

I left the hospital after a while I have been taken care of and was prepared to go back to America. I had minor headaches but it occurred more than the time my brother was going to drown in the beach. On top of that, it was more often. It was probably the side effects. It had to be. We visited the jimusho before we left the country to greet those we helped and have been helped by. Then my parents and I headed for the airport and landed in America safely.

"Are you ready to get back home?" A deep voice called.

"Yes father." I said as I picked up my suitcase and started dragging it.

When we reached the car, I felt pain in my head. Then I had a vision which was very clear. It was clearer than the previous time I had it.

My mother was driving the car and a call came. She thought of picking it up until the lights turned green allowing us to continue. As we started to move on, a truck was moving this way and ran into us.

"Are you fine? Do we need to bring you to the hospital?"

"No father. Let's go back."

"I'll drive." My mother spoke.

I made an attempt to stop her and asked my father to drive but he refused because my mother was offering to drive. I explained the vision I had in the short time but they still refused knowing that my visions were visions of what was going to happen in the future. My mother told me that she'd be careful but I couldn't take it. I didn't want to allow it.

I lost my brother at the beach. I can't allow to lose my parents from a car accident. But I know how they are. They wouldn't want to change their mind.

I sat in the back seat and buckled the safety belt. My mother started the car and drove on.

We were nearing the intersection I saw in the vision. I warned my mother this was the intersection in which her phone was going to ring and a truck will come and hit us from the left if she started driving immediately after the lights turned. I sat tight after confirming that she heard what I said.

Just like my vision, her phone started ringing and the lights turned signaling that we can cross. She started the car across the street and before I could stop her, the truck ran into the car my parents and I were in. I felt myself leaning one way from the impact and was shaking as it happened after the headache started. I heard the windows crashing and a shard left a mark on my forehead. The mark was deep enough to stay with me not only as a scar, but also as part of my memory and evidence of what I have been through this day. I closed my eyes for a moment and everything seemed calm and quiet.

I opened my eyes and saw a white ceiling. I looked around and it wasn't home. This place was white and empty. I sat up and I found myself on a bed. I wanted to leave the place but I didn't even know where I was. I touched my head and remembered everything that happened. The truck came in from the left and I started shaking. The windows were breaking. My parents were in the front. They must have been in a worse situation that I have. The windows were right by them compared to where I was sitting in which there was some distance in between myself and the window. I prayed that they were alive but the doctors came in announcing that my parents have passed away. I couldn't forgive the truck driver. I wanted to know who was driving the truck. I wanted to know why and how he drove into the car. The lights should have been clearly red for him. Then I've been informed that the truck driver was safe and survived without a single injury but alcohol was found in his blood.

Shock ran through my whole body.

My parents passed away and the driver survived? Without a single damage? Not even a scar? How is this possible? This is unforgivable. No matter what the reason for this cause may be, I cannot forgive what happened. On this day... I swear to myself... That I will stand to protect myself. I didn't understand society well enough. I will see the world for myself and study everything I have to know to protect not only myself, but everyone in need of my help.

I looked down with a terrified expression and saw that my hands were shaking. I didn't understand how anyone could allow anyone like that to live.

I was sent home assuming that I had a relative or two who would take care of me in place of my dead parents but that wasn't the case. There was a funeral for my parents and I saw most of my relatives there. I didn't see Kei-niichan and his family probably because of his work and economic problems but I thought that at least they could have come to pick me up. There must have been a possibility that they could have gotten me out of this horror and bring me there. They could have brought me to a happier place. But the reason that all this happened wasn't their fault. It was my own.

Days and weeks have passed since the incident and school was about to begin once again in a little more than a week. I knew I couldn't move on with the life at the place so I chose to burn it down. I knew it wasn't the most efficient choice but I couldn't take it.

I took my sapphire blue bag I had. I found all the money in the house,  my dolls, and my necklaces. I took a brush, a toothbrush and leftover toothpaste. I took some food. I took my blanket, folded it neatly, and placed it in the bottom of the bag. I took my folders with paper and pencil case filled with pencils, erasers, and pens, and put it in my bag. I put in the other things I needed into the bag. I took the bag out the door. I went back in the house to find matches.

This house isn't home without my family. There's no point in being here anymore. I might as well destroy it. I might as well destroy it and erase my existence. I know my parents wouldn't like it, but there's nothing I can do.

I found a box of matches and pulled one match out. I lit the match in the room furthest from the main entrance of the house and dropped it. I left the house out the door where I placed my bag. I left through the back yard filled with tall grasses. I went out into the open meadow watching the building burn into ashes from the fire.

I soon heard the siren of the fire trucks. The sound was growing louder as it was approaching in the direction I was standing in. Someone must have called that the house was burning. I walked in the opposite direction of the siren to avoid any confusion. When I noticed, I was running and panting. I didn't know how I actually felt about this until later in the day where I had nowhere to go, until I was lost in the city of New York. All I knew was that I wasn't be far from the house I burnt.

I had a slight headache, but I continued to walk in the noisy crowd. Some people whispered after seeing me. I didn't care anymore. I lost a place to stay. That wasn't where I should have been.

I looked for other people who were also homeless, but for other reasons. I wanted to be with someone. I walked and walked but I couldn't find a single person sitting in the streets of New York. I walked to the point that I didn't know what city I was in. I didn't recognize any of the tall buildings. So I continued to walk aimlessly turning from time to time. When I noticed, I was in Central Park which was near where I lived. I sat at a bench and let out a sigh. People looked at me as if something was wrong with me, which was true. But I did it all myself. There was no one to blame but myself.