What Makes You Smile?

I Missed You

This is the past stories in Ninomiya Kazunari's POV.

 

I entered the room filled with guys. I had nothing to do...

Ohno Satoshi entered with a little girl.

She's... Adorable...

I covered my nose and mouth. I thought I was going to nosebleed. I could tell she's never been anywhere like this. There's barely any place in which you can find a bunch of guys in one place. But that didn't seem to be the only reason...

She was quite attached to him. I was surprised. I kept my eyes on her to watch her actions.

Seeing her fall asleep with a doll made her look even cuter.

 

--------------------

 

She came the next summer and the one after and the summer after that. She came until the year of Arashi's début.

Now that I look back, even if it was only for a short time, we had so much fun. We joked around. We laughed together. We spent times like that together countless number of times. But still... But still... She wouldn't talk. She never said a single word except for that one time we asked for her birthday. We never found out who she came with. Why she came to the jimusho. Why she would visit us. Nothing. Nothing except her birthday.

 

--------------------

 

This day, was like any other work day. A day filled with stuff to do. This day, was the same until...

 

--------------------

 

The door opened. It was Johnny-san... And a teenage... Girl?

She looks young for a high school or college student. Why is she here? This size. Those eyes. That mouth. Could it be... Tai-chan? It can't be. That's... Impossible...

She was sitting in the corner. Her eyes were watering and were looking down.

Could you be sad? I know that you're happy you met us... But are you sad? Are you blaming yourself? I don't understand. Why do you feel that way?

Matsumoto Jun asked for her name. Reena Lee. That was her name. It was pretty. But why... Why of all names... Did it have to be Reena... Why not Reina? Why not Rena? Nana? But Reena? It was... Perfect... She said it both in English and Japanese. They both matched her. There were different spellings for her name but how her name was spelled was with two 'e's and it started with an 'r'. That name meant peace and queen. Her name in kanji was 里奈 and the pronunciation was Lina. The kanji 里 meant village and 奈 meant to endure. But as a whole, it meant to love the village.

I noticed Riida drop a tear. What was going on in his mind? What was he thinking of? Things I wanted to ask but at the same time, couldn't. Not with Reena-chan and the other members here.

 

--------------------

 

Too much happened in one day... What do the other members feel about her? What kind of person is she really? This voice in my heart...

 

--------------------

 

The sky felt lonely with just a few clouds here and there. I thought about Reena as I was swinging at the empty park looking at the sky.

I started to hear footsteps. When I looked down, it was Riida. This was my chance to ask him about Reena-chan. It was obvious he was in deep thought this whole day, ever since she entered the room earlier today. He was thinking about her.

I went on and asked without hesitation. "What do you think about her?"

His answer surprised me. But at the same time, I felt like it was an answer expected from our Riida. He saw things that we couldn't see. When everyone looked at the surface of the onion of a situation or person, he'd want to go through and go deep to the core instead of just staying at the surface, even if it hurt him. As for me, I only saw her as a microscopic cute girl. But in reality, she was very sensitive and understanding. It was just that she gets too nervous.

 

--------------------

 

My breath was white in the air.

"Riida... What are you thinking? How are you feeling? You're probably over thinking. You should get some rest for today." But that was me... I was the one who was over thinking.

 

---------------------

 

The manager entered. He was holding a box filled with unopened letters. Reena-chan was shaking knowing that those letters weren't all the letters she sent us. She started sending us letters from when we debuted. We made the decision to leave the room for the time being so that she could have a talk with her cousin, Koyama Keiichiro. I walked behind the other Arashi members so they wouldn't notice that I was gone even if they turned a corner.

I stayed next to the door of the room. They were talking about the letters she sent us when she was young. She asked her cousin to give it to our manager.

She really must have been Tai-chan... She was Tai-chan this whole time.

I called Masuda from NEWS to pick Koyama up and tell her that he would call us to come back.

 

--------------------

 

We read each letter aloud. We shared the manga. There were some messy ones, but I think that was what made it more amusing. A smile spread across my face. I was glad that we were able to read at least some of the letters Reena-chan sent us. I found myself grinning at the letters.

"Nino, you're being disgusting." Sakurai stated.

We all laughed but Reena-chan only gave a gentle smile. Her eyes were deep.

 

--------------------

 

We were finished with reading the unread letters she sent us. It must've been really embarrassing for her to have them read aloud in front of her. She went running. We all went searching for her right after.

 

--------------------

 

I was leaning against a wall near a locker until Riida passed by.

"Riida, I think she's in that locker."

"Why didn't you look in?"

"I felt like I wasn't allowed." I tried to avoid making eye contact with him. "The others got too tired and exhausted so they went back already."

"Okay..."

I was thinking of her conversation with her cousin. I let out a deep sigh. I picked up a blue envelope that Reena-chan might have dropped when Riida pulled her. I stood there looking at the envelope thinking about whether I should read the letter or not. I opened it anyways.

 

--------------------

 

Um... Hi! Sorry to bother you... But Tai-chan is writing to Momo-chan again! It's been awhile huh? Nee, I was thinking... Do you think I should be sending these letters under my real name? I'll tell you my name anyways! I'll write it at the end of this letter.

School started last week and it’s boring as always. I sit in the back corner next to the window for all my classes. You might be wondering how this is possible so I'll answer before you ask. It’s because we chose our own seats and the teacher changed some of the seats of those who might be noisy if they were together with someone. And on top of that, I lack presence. I think I lost all my presence ever since school started this year.

I still can't make any friends but I don't want to have any friends. Because who would want to HAVE friends when you can BE friends? Besides... Everyone in school is crazy. I don't like them. What should I do? It's like nobody sees me. I'm invisible. I'm working this hard... Why don't people see me? I don't understand... You and the members saw me and took the time to try to understand me. There's nobody like any of you around here.

Oh yeah! I started to work. I’m having financial troubles. I live alone in an old and cheap apartment but it's worth it! The pay at work is good too! I started working a few weeks after I came back from Japan! I work at a bakery. Are you jealous? I know you wanted to work at a bakery and bake bread or something right? But it’s okay... I think... Haha ^^;

I miss you Momo-chan... I hope we can meet again soon.

From your first and best fan,

Reena Lee (Yoshimura Rina)

 

--------------------

 

After reading this letter, I was convinced. I had to do something about it.

I headed back to the room. I saw Reena-chan running this way. She was looking for this letter. I waved to stop her, but she ran past me. I was shocked. She was THAT determined...

 

--------------------

 

10 P.M. that night, I texted her to meet me at my favorite café. I didn't receive any reply from her but I went the next day anyways for when she was there. I entered the private room and saw her sitting at the table.

She didn't reply to the text but she still came to talk... She has become such an interesting person. I wouldn't blame her though... She must've gone through quite a lot...

I was relieved at the sight and gave her the envelope with the letter in it. I left after I said everything I had to say and let her speak whatever came to her mind.

She's a very honest person...

When I left, I got a call. It was from Riida. I answered.

"Hey, where are you? Actually, never mind... I'm looking for Reena-chan. Do you know where she is by any chance? She has her phone off..."

"I saw her leave from my favorite café... I think she's walking towards the jimusho."

"Good. I'm at the jimusho right now. I'll go so that we'll meet."

"She's -" He ended the call before I could tell him how she was dressed.

I hope everything will be okay... We just had a talk about him although we didn't really talk about him that much... I know she doesn't want to meet him. I know she doesn’t want me to be saying anything about the letter to anyone. Especially our Riida. But what if something happens? What if Riida already knows that she's Tai-chan? Ugh... I'm thinking about it too much... Why do I always do this...? But I think he thought more about her and Tai-chan than I have... I hope nothing goes wrong between those two... They were thinking about each other for so long. I was in pain. Reena-chan, what makes you smile? ...Why did she look at him for such a simple act? Yes, she was still a little girl who didn't understand anything about the world much yet... But there were other people who would have cared for her... Why him and not me? Why did it have to be him who found her at that time? Why wasn't it me? I wish I was born earlier... So I could be there for her... But this was the choice she made... It hurts to think about it, but I can't do anything about it. I can't force her to change her mind.

 

--------------------

 

I looked out the window. The sunset was pretty.

Did they meet? If so, what are they talking about? What are they thinking? Did you convey your feelings properly? Are the weights on your shoulders lighter? Are you freer? Are your angel wings recovering? We need to talk about this sooner or later...