The Time is Now

I Missed You

"Um... Sorry to ruin the moment, but can we have a talk? The three of us?" Tegoshi-san said.

"Oh sorry... It must've been awkward for those few seconds." Ohno-san reached his hand behind his head.

"Don't worry about it. Anyways, sit." Tegoshi-san gestured and Ohno-san sat.

I wanted to run away but instead, I lay down and hid myself under the blanket knowing that I wasn't allowed to go anywhere just yet.

"What's the relationship between you and Reena-chan? I've never seen you or her like this. Are you planning on doing anything to her? I'd like to know. Do the others know about this?"

Ohno-san answered relaxed. "We're just friends. We've known each other for like more than 20 years and she'd come visit the jimusho from time to time over the summer so I'm obviously not the only one who knows about this."

"Yeah I know that. But are you two really just friends? I feel like there's something more to it than 'just friends'. Are you two in a boyfriend-girlfriend type of relationship? Are you guys going to marry sooner or later?"

"No way, I'm totally serious. But I guess I understand why you would be saying that since it's more like we're a family than friends but not quite. I don't know, it's kind of an awkward relationship where we're more than friends but less than boyfriend-girlfriends you know what I mean? It's kind of difficult to explain. We're like a family but we're not blood-related. We're more than friends but we're not in a girlfriend-boyfriend relationship. I guess you can say that we're like best friends for life. This doesn't only apply to me though. It also applies to the other Arashi members."

I felt a sharp pain in my chest to the lie he told about our relationship but at the same time, it was like I was floating in air - like I was flying. Then I felt a tug on the blanket so I sat up and looked down. It seemed that my shoulder functioned well enough.

Why does it have to be me? Have I done something wrong to be hated for by someone? That was definitely Tegoshi-san in front of the house right? That hair... That chuckle... That aura... That presence... What is this feeling? I feel unsafe... Why did I become a celebrity... I'll probably have to answer some interviews even if the injury isn't such a big deal. I don't want to but I can't just ignore them or reject it. There would be people taking pictures right? What will I do? I want to leave and go home but I can't. How am I supposed to go home with them around? On top of that, if I leave now, that means Ohno-san and Tegoshi-san would be leaving with me. They'll probably misunderstand everythin.

"Reena-chan, what are you thinking? What's on your mind right now? How are you fe-"

"Tegoshi-san. Was that you?" I interrupted Tegoshi-san.

"What do you mean was that me? You know my leader and I live alone in different parts of Tokyo."

My eyes widened and whispered to myself, "That's it." I paused and thought for a moment and spoke up. "That's it. You live in different areas and there's nobody to wait for you. You can technically do whatever you want after work. You can go anywhere as long as you're in Japan. You're the one who did it. You're the one who was standing in front of the house that night. You're the one who shot me."

Tegoshi-san smirked. "What are you saying? Why do you say that? How am I supposed to know where you're planning on going or get something to shoot you with?"

"That's the thing. How did you get the bullets? That's what I wanted to ask you."

"Reena-chan, he's a better person than you think he is. I know and understand why you get annoyed by him because I get annoyed as well but still, he wouldn't go that far. Because he is a celebrity, he wouldn't take such risks." Ohno-san spoke up. His voice was fading away.

"But Ohno-san..." I opened my mouth and reached my arm out towards Ohno-san to say something.

What is this sensation? It's new. But what I've been through wasn't as great as the visions and whatnot I've felt that time. It was only a bullet to my shoulder. The injury wasn't major at all. I can go back to Kei-niichan's house if I want. Something even worse must be coming but why am I getting this peaceful sensations for the first time? I shouldn't be getting this sensation at this time anyways.

 

--------------------

 

I opened my eyes and saw that it was evening of the next day I got shot.

How long have I been sleeping? I feel sorry that I got knocked out in the middle of the conversation. But what was that all about? Will happiness come? Will everything come to an end? Am I going to die soon?

I reached out to turn the lamp on but stopped midway. I stopped to look at the vase by the lamp. I pulled on the string and the lamp . The vase was filled with beautiful sunflowers and a few yellow marigolds.

The meaning of a sunflower, if I remember correctly, was 'I'll always be watching over you' and the meaning of a yellow marigold was 'good health' or just 'healthy'.

I wonder who brought it.

"It looks like your heart is at peace. It's like those flowers are your healing flowers for your soul or something." He chuckled.

I turned to the source of the voice and saw Ohno-san. "Ohno-san! Don't scare me like that. You should have said something."

"Sorry. I couldn't resist. I wanted to see how you would react to the flowers I brought you. I got them thinking that your favorite flowers are those considering you're born in July and you love lions and tigers." He reached his hand out and patted my head leaving me speechless. "Looking at your face I was probably correct. Was I not?"

"I... I love you most though... I love them but I love you more than lions and tigers and sunflowers and marigolds."

"Lies. You said you admire lions and tigers. You emit this passionate aura when you look at lions and tigers and a happy and peaceful aura when you look at sunflowers and marigolds."

"That's because there are things you cannot see or notice from up close. You have to be far from what you actually treasure to understand what is truly meaningful to you. Like when I haven't come to Japan and you worried. You and the other Arashi members worried so much about me though you guys were acting the same way as you usually do during your junior times on television." I tightly held onto Ohno-san's hand and he giggled. He took my hand and put it into his hand instead.

"This is how it should be Reena-chan." Ohno-san smiled and showed me. "You can leave the hospital today. I'll head back with you."

"But you don't have a car. You don't drive. You don't have a license." Ohno-san lightly laid the tip of his index finger onto my lip to keep me quiet.

"We're going." Ohno-san pulled my hand to bring me out of the room back home. We reached the main lobby and Ohno-san told one of the staff working at the hospital that we were leaving together. That's when I noticed that I wasn't in my clothes and I had to change.

One of the nurses noticed and stopped Ohno-san from dragging me out of the hospital. She handed my clothes to me to change into.

 

--------------------

 

I was looking at the hole at the shoulder of my favorite hoodie.

I guess I have no choice but to sew it together. The length would be different but I guess it's worth it. But what would I do at the filming? It has to be this hoodie at this size. What if the audience watching the movie notices?

I sighed and wore the hoodie as it was. I walked up to Ohno-san who was waiting for me at the exit. He noticed and smiled at me. He held his hand out to gesture to hold his hand. So I did and left the place for now.

 

--------------------

 

The next day, I arrived at work but the room was completely dark when I entered and the door closed. I was going to open the door again but the door wouldn't open. Someone was keeping it closed from the other side.

There must be another way out. The other exit should be on the other side of the room.

I walked as I toughed the wall with the tip of the fingers. I soon felt the door and pushed on it but it was locked. I looked around to see if there was really no light at all. That was when I remembered that I always walk around with a manual flashlight. Just when I was going to flash the flashlight, the lights and the crew welcomed me back. Some of the staff and actresses came running to me and hugged. I was being squished by them a bit but I somewhat felt at home. I looked around and noticed that Tegoshi-san wasn't around.

When they let go of me, I looked more closely.

He didn't come to work today. He's such an unpredictable man. You have to be careful Reena. You don't know what he'll do to you. Don't lower your defense and always be aware of what's going on around you. Take a couple of deep breaths and stay calm. Don't be so nervous and trust your instincts.

I turned around as I swung my arm.

I knew it. He was right behind me.

"You're so energetic for someone who just came back from the hospital. I'm really starting to consider marrying you. You're single right?" Tegoshi-san said in front of the crew.

"I... I... Actually... I already have someone in mind. So... Sorry. I cannot answer your feelings of wanting to marry. I can only think about him." I said in front of the whole crew.

I hope none of them spread a rumor that I'm in love or something. I don't want to take interviews for the news or the magazine.

I never thought that saying this would lead to such incident.

 

--------------------

 

I was eating dinner quietly with Kei-niichan until I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my head. I dropped my eating utensil, raised my hand to one side of my head and grabbed onto my hair. I tried to keep the pain to myself. I tried not to scream or yell but my voice spilled out of my mouth and I started yelling.

What was that peaceful feeling I had just yesterday? The pain returned. It's as big as ever. It's like the time when I was going to be in a car accident. The time must be close. But I must endure the pain before I can do anything. But the time is now.