Chapter 60

Trapped.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now Playing: Infinite - Last Romeo

 

 

 

Key pushed the hotel’s entrance door open, regretting it immediately as he felt the icy air hit his flushed cheeks in the most painful way there is. Key tried to force his jaws still when he felt his teeth clashing together, his lips quivering as white clouds of condensed air escaped from his mouth.

Right now he was so angry because of a lot of things, one maybe Chanyeol and his stubborn behavior; another is him forgetting to bring his lucky, grey mittens, the last maybe that the weather wasn’t being nice to him at all. He wrapped his arms around himself and jumped lightly in his place in an attempt to gain some warmth; at this point he didn’t even put in mind that he looked like a maniac running loose in the streets, or he just honestly didn’t care.

“Yah bum bum!” An annoying, familiar voice called from somewhere to his right, Key cursed under his breath, because seriously from all the people he had to meet by coincidence it had to be Chanyeol’s short, annoying, possessive, flat headed best friend.

The latter turned his head to the direction of the voice only to be met by a smirking, sassy looking, short, blonde latter, that looked comfortably warm in that icy weather. Key secretly envied him because he came with the coat, scarf, gloves, and all that warm .

“Oh, Hi!” He faked a cheerful smile, skipping the waving part as he was busy still warming himself by himself. Baekhyun suppressed a laugh from escaping and tried to look collected as he talked.

“I guess you haven’t eaten dinner yet…”

 

 

Only a few hours separated them from the New Year, and Key couldn’t feel more miserable at the idea of having to spend it with no other than Baekhyun, the latter honestly would rather spend it alone that with a snarky Barbie doll that did nothing but boss people around and act like he was the only smart one in this world. Baekhyun’s attitude seriously could ruin Key’s mood any day.

As he sat in the stupid, fancy restaurant Baekhyun picked (actually it was pretty nice, but Key didn’t want to admit it even to himself because Baekhyun picked it, duh!) he watched the latter as he (with much sophistication and elegance) checked through the pages of the menu before handing it back to the waiter and ordering a glass of red wine with a weird French name that Key didn’t really get to hear well.

“And you…?” Baekhyun darted the question at him, bringing him back from his absent minded state, Key hummed in confusion.

“… The wine, did you pick a certain type?”  Baekhyun asked again.

“Oh… Uhh… What he ordered would be fine.” Key gave a sheepish smile to the waiter as he handed him the menu, trying to ignore the way Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“So…” Baekhyun cleared his throat and leant back further in his chair, careful not to ruin the fine, crisp, condition his grey suit was in. “Chanyeol…” He trailed off, and Key eyed him silently in deep confusion.

“I know you and Chanyeol met her at Donghae Hyung’s wedding.” Key’s eyes widened a bit at that.

“You know Donghae Hyung?”

“I have some connections…” Baekhyun smirked in pride, and Key just snorted on how much ego the young man had considering his petite frame.

“And I know Chanyeol kicked you out of the room as well.”

“Are you keeping an eye on us or something?” Baekhyun let out a sarcastic laugh at the question Key just asked, he gave him a ‘you-wish’ smirk before explaining.

“If he didn’t kick you out, you wouldn’t have stood in front of the hotel entrance like a homeless guy with no warm clothes on; you could’ve simply gone up and brought something a bit heavier to wear…” Key tried to protest but Baekhyun beat him to it. “… And don’t tell me that lame excuse of you needing some fresh air...” Key pouted because seriously how did he know he was about to say that?

“… plus, I know for a fact you dislike me as much as I dislike you, if you had the freedom to run back to your room, you wouldn’t be sitting here with me having dinner with only 2 hours left for New Year.” Baekhyun finished his explanation with a smirk, upon seeing the shocked (okay you win) look on Key’s face.

“So now what Mr. know-it-all?” Key commented.

“I sense sarcasm that I’m going to ignore for the sake of my best friend’s benefits… Chanyeol’s not acting like himself and I know that because he’s not the pain in the he used to be 4 years ago…”

“Yeah, well for your info Byun, people change.” Key retorted mockingly, rolling his eyes and looking the other way in impatience.

“I’ve known Chanyeol for more than 20 years, we were practically raised together, and we were called gay from how much Chanyeol used to cling on to me with that lost puppy look on his face… I think I’m qualified to say I know my best friend more than you do, and I know he wouldn’t change so easily unless there was something bothering him.”

Key opened his mouth to say something, but was cut off by the waiter’s presence as he served the wine Baekhyun ordered. Key watched as the deep, red liquid was poured into fine, crystal glasses that glistened under the dim lighting of the restaurant, enjoying the aroma that blasted and spread in the air around him as the wine touched his glass. Key brought the glass to him and closed his eyes to enjoy the beautiful, sweet, spicy smell; he took a sip and tried to suppress the sigh of pleasure that was threatening to escape his lips.

On the opposite side of the table, a curious Baekhyun trialed the whole scene with his eyes, trying hard to shush the voice that said that this same reaction came from is best friend a few years back when he first ordered this wine for him as well.

As they spent more time in each other’s presence, Baekhyun could understand why Key and Chanyeol clicked at once, they were so much alike, same habits, same thoughts, the same way of talking and handling things, even the same reactions. It was all too familiar that it scared him, how similar the latters were, but this also assured something for him, Key was the perfect candidate to help him close that Ji eun story once and for all.

Key sipped on the last drop of his glass and his lips happily, taking in the last bits of sweetie flavor that were left on them. He opened his eyes and tilted his head when he found Baekhyun staring back at him with scrutinizing eyes.

“What?”

“I need your help… I’m not going to shrug it off and act like Chanyeol’s life isn’t getting ruined… we either push them together or pull them apart, no in between.”

“What right do you have to control someone’s life like that? Chanyeol’s old enough to take control of his own decisions; I think he can very well pass this without our interference!” Key attacked with a venomous tone, his eyes wide in disbelief mixed with anger at how Baekhyun talked about Chanyeol as if he was his own puppet.

“You’re still new to this… you won’t get it.”

“GET

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter