Chapter 24

Trapped.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Can I ask you something?” Kris began in a hesitant tone; he was never the type of person to initiate small talk, especially with people who seemed to dislike him. He and Daehyun were seated on a small white dining table near the kitchen in the beach house; they were eating breakfast that Daehyun made. Daehyun raised his stare from his plate and looked at Kris, waiting for him to complete, Kris just swallowed the food in his mouth and started.

“How did you end up working for Luhan?” Daehyun cleared his throat, never raising his gaze from his plate while continuing to eat.

“It’s a long story…” Daehyun tried to make his tone sound casual and uninterested. Kris put down his chopsticks and stared intently at Daehyun.

“I have time.” Kris just added with a smirk, making Daehyun raise his stare right at him.

Daehyun cleared his throat, his eyes wandered around the place for a few seconds before they fell to the table again. He sighed silently and started.

“My hyung… he’s the one that led me to Luhan.” Daehyun clearly seemed annoyed by the topic, which made Kris realize he wasn’t having all the fun in the world while working for the Chinese latter.

“But the money’s good, huh?” Kris’s smirk widened, and that’s when Daehhyun got a little angry and hurt. Yes, he was poor, but that didn’t mean that all he does in his life is search for money.

“I’m not in it for the money, you know?” Daehyun tried to keep his tone cold, but that didn’t mean that Kris couldn’t detect the anger in his tone, his smirk widened and he decided to ask for further information.

“Then why?” Daehyun was losing his temper little by little; he knew Kris was just interested in annoying him; he was confused as to why Kris that he saw yesterday isn’t the one sitting opposite to him right now.

“I have my reasons.”

“What reasons?” Kris was now becoming really curious, not just trying to annoy Daehyun.

“WHY DO YOU EVEN GIVE A DAMN?” Daehyun slammed his hands on the table, his face was all red, and his brows were knitted. Kris was taken aback by his sudden outburst, yet he tried to stay unfazed.

“Dude, calm down, I just…” Kris cleared his throat and completed. “…you don’t seem like the type to get into this stuff…” Lame excuse, but Kris had no other reason, he just wanted to annoy the latter, plus he was curious.

Daehyun took a deep breath to calm himself down, that topic stressed him anyway. He raised his stare at Kris who by now looked a little afraid of him. He sighed mentally at how bad he felt for scaring him like that, and started.

 “Like I said, it’s a long story…” Daehyun’s voice became calmer now.

“And I wanna know.”

“I owe my hyung, and the only way I could repay him was give information about Ji eun okay?” Daehyun blurted out. To Kris, that was the amest excuse in the history of lame excuses, repaying his hyung by working for a Chinese , really?

“Some relationship you have with your brother…” Kris scoffed.

“He’s not my brother, my brother died a few years ago.” With that, Kris’s face paled, he held his breath, and looked with a shocked expression at Daehyun. Oops!

“I… I’m… sorry… I really didn’t…” Kris began stuttering.

 “It’s been a long time anyway.” Daehyun just smiled at how guilty Kris looked. The smile revealed pain and agony that Kris didn’t notice before.

“Still, I’m sorry…”

 

 

They stayed silent for a few minutes as they resumed eating, but Kris was too irritated and wanted to break the deafening awkward silence between them. Kris couldn’t take how awkward the atmosphere seemed anymore, so he put down his chopsticks again, and sighed in a frustrated manner before he started.

“What happened?” This wasn’t the best way to ask someone about such topic, but Kris didn’t care about how blunt or rude he sounded.

“You really wanna know?” Daehyun looked a little surprised by how curious Kris looked. He decided that it won’t hurt to tell Kris his story, he was staying under his roof, he kinnda owed him.

“When dad left us, after mom died, my brother basically raised me. He was 5 years older than me. We lived most of our lives struggling… He tried so hard to provide me with everything I needed, food, shelter, good education… After he dropped out of law school, he started working for this rich guy… At night that guy would call him, he’d ask him to bring some files over, sometimes he’d make him work extra hours… the guy knew that my brother needed the money and wouldn’t mind over working himself to get it, but one night…”

It was then that the tears in Daehyun’s eyes were evident for Kris to see.  Daehyun’s face was so red and heated, he felt his eyes burn and his chest tightening at the mention of that night, the night he lost everything he had. He took a deep breath to try to stop himself from starting to cry.

“… One night he went out and never came back home… He was shot in the chest after some kind of robbery took place in the street he was walking in. And you know what the funny thing is?...” Daehyun raised his gaze to Kris. Kris frowned at how red Daehyun’s eyes looked, how pained he seemed, he smiled mockingly. Kris shook his head lightly at the question, waiting for Daehyun to complete.

“We lived in a ing rat’s hole for most of our life, not once did something bad happen to us, but he died in a rich people’s neighborhood.” Kris paled, he knew Daehyun was poor, but he never expected this.

“Himchan, that’s his name…” Daehyun’s lips curled into a faint pained smile that tugged on Kris’s heart. He looked away from Kris because he couldn’t stand the looks of pity the latter was giving him.

“I’m really so…” Kris started w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter