You ask Donghae what's wrong.

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

"Hey," you say as the others walk ahead. "Fishy, something wrong?"

"Hm?" he snaps out of his daze. "Oh, I'm fine, Haneul." He smiles but his eyes tell you otherwise.

"It's okay, Donghae, just open up. I can tell that something's bothering you."

"Haha, this is nothing," he says. "Really, I'm fine, Haneul."

 

DORMITORY HALLWAY

Everyone says "good night" to each other and go inside their rooms. You take another look at Donghae before going into your room with Heechul. He doesn't look your way this time like he usually does to say "good night".

Somehow, I feel bad. And guilty. But why? D:

You decide to sleep it off.

 

May 23, Monday, Club Recruitment Day: CLASSROOM 3-B

You can feel it. The atmosphere is different today. You'd describe it as a more animalistic, competitive musk that the boys are releasing due to the special occasion. You're not sure whether or not the way you just described it is pleasant to imagine at all. Instead you focus on your Math teacher.

"Any questions, guys?" she asks. "No? You sure? Okay, but by the way, today is Club Recruitment Day! For those who don't know how this works yet, you are highly encouraged to join only one club. But unless you're joining the Student Council, you have permission to join another extra-curricular club."

Someone raises his hand.

"Yes, Mr. Jeong?" the teacher says, adjusting her spectacles.

"Ma'am, are all the teachers part of a club too? I mean, being a club advisor and stuff?"

The teacher giggles, "Why yes, we all are. As a matter of fact, I'm the club advisor for the Math olympiads. So if you guys need extra help with math or if you know you're really good at math and want to compete, come talk to me later at the booth."

You discreetly ask Donghae what club he's joining. You don't hear him respond. When you look at him, he is sleeping on his open math book.

"... Donghae..." you whisper, trying to wake him.

"Dooooonghaeeeee," you whisper, a bit more loudly, poking his shoulder. 

You whisper as loud as you can, "DONGHAEEEEE!" as you shake him wildly by the shoulders and poke his cheek. Finally, he stirs.

"Why is... your book wet?" you ask in a small voice, though you already know the answer.

Ugh. Dx

"Oh," he realizes. He wipes it with his sleeve.

Nuh-uh, you are NOT putting your arm around me later. O_O

"If there are no further concerns," you hear the teacher saying. "Class dismissed. You may proceed to the playing field for the club recruitment."

"Donghae," you say. "What club are you joining?"

"Oh, the dance club I guess," he replies plainly. He grabs his stuff and goes outside ahead of you.

Seriously, what is up with him? He's been like this since the other day.

You scan the classroom for Kim Kibum. He isn't there.

Weird. I thought he said he was from 3-B too. Maybe he's sick.

You grab your bag and step out of the classroom. Kyuhyun bumps into you and secretly plants a piece of paper in your hand.

"Watch where you're going, shrimp," he says. He walks away.

You read the paper and it says:

----------------------------------

Since it's gonna be difficult to talk to you in person, might as well do it this way.

So, what club are you joining? To be honest, I'm part of the math olympiads... But it's

not because I at math okay?? I'm actually pretty good at it... So if you need help

with math or something, I could help you out in secret. It would be weird (but cool)

if you joined the math olympiads too. Although I think it's gonna make things obvious

and more complicated. So please don't join the math olympiads.

---------------------------------

Psh. So what if I want to join the math olympiads? I'm not gonna let Cho Kyuhyun stop me. That is, IF I wanted to join the Math olympiads. xD I'll go check out the other clubs.

 

PLAYING FIELD

There are booths are everywhere for various clubs. You walk through the crowded field and look at the different booths set up there.

The Science Club - Dissecting is our specialty!

Too creepy...

 

The Arts & Crafts Club - Join us on our attempt to repaint the universe in our own way!

They're not into vandalism, are they? o:

 

The Fortune Telling & Magick Arts Club - Only for those special individuals.

Hm, this looks interesting.

You approach the boy (most probably a sophomore) at the booth. "What do you mean by special individuals?" you ask.

He eyes you carefully, then places a hand on your forehead. "Nope, you're not a special individual. Join another club."

"But what exactly IS a special individual?" you ask.

"People who can see ghosts and commune with the spirits of the other realms," he explains.

"But... I think I've seen one at the gazebo," you say. "He's always reading there with a flashlight."

The boy presses his index fingers against your temples. He closes his eyes and appears to concentrate.

"Nope, not a ghost. Join some other club."

You are about to walk away when he calls out to you, "Wait. Stop."

"You... have an interesting aura..." he says. He looks you straight in the eye and narrows his eyes at you. "What are you doing here?"

"Huh? I study here," you answer, confused.

"Why are YOU studying HERE?" he says in a hushed voice.

Oh crap. Must get away.

"Um, I don't know what you're talking about," you say as you hurriedly rush away.

 

The Math Olympiads  - Train yourself in mathematics and be champions of the country!

Hm... I'm not sure joining the Math Olympiads would be fun... And Kyuhyun told me not to so...

 

The Music Club - Be a part of a band or the school symphony! Bring out that innate musicality and follow your dreams!

You see a young guy playing the violin.

He's really good at this. O:

When he finishes his piece, all the students crowded around him clap.

"Thank you," he says with a perfect American accent and bows.

You approach him as the students disperse. "You're not from here, are you?" you say.

"No," he chuckles. "I just moved here from Canada a few months ago."

"And are you Korean?"

"Ummm, not even," he laughs. "I'm actually Chinese."

"OH!" you exclaim. "Have you met Hangeng? He's our Chinese friend. A senior."

"Yeah, I have. We're taking the special Korean language classes together."

"Are you a freshman?" you ask.

"Yep!"

"And already, you're part of the music club?"

"Well, I came here on scholarship for violin, so it was automatic," he grins.

"That's great to hear!" you say. "Sorry, I forgot to ask, what's your name?"

"Henry," he says. "Henry Lau."

"Nice to meet you, Henry," you smile. "I'm Kim Haneul." 

"Awesome meeting you too, Haneul hyung. I'll see you around school?"

"Yep yep!" you wave. He goes back to playing violin.

 

The Judo Club- Can't defend yourself? Build up your brawn with us and never be bullied again!

"HANEUL!!" Youngwoon shouts as you pass by their booth. "Join Hyukjae and I in our club so that you can beat up Cho Kyuhyun!!"

"Uhh..." you start.

"Come on, just in case he tries to break your neck, you can break his neck first!" he says happily.

Hyukjae is standing behind him with a panda.

"Why is there a panda in your booth?" you ask.

"Because we are... the Seoul High Ultimate Judo Team!" Youngwoon shouts.

"But seriously, why is there a panda on the judo team?" you ask again.

Youngwoon ignores you and proceeds to show you some moves.

"This one is called..."

"The infinite Youngwoon Hero threatening tactic!!" he announces proudly. "And this one is called--"

"Haneul, my dear room mate~," Heechul says. "Don't waste your time on stuff like that. Join the Dance Club with me and the two Dongs!" He turns to them and shouts, "Ready, guys, three, two, one...!"

"Uhh... am I supposed to be waiting for a persuasive dance number?" you wonder out loud.

"This is the persuasive teaser for our dance number," Heechul says. "Can't you read the sign on our booth?"

You look at it.

The Dance Club -  Learn ultra-secret awesomely cool dance moves after joining!

=_=

"Ultra-secret awesomely cool dance moves, huh?" you say.

"To be revealed to you AFTER joining our club," Heechul says. "And since you showed your break dancing expertise last month at the dance competition, we would LOVE to help you hone your talent, Kim Haneul."

You glance at Donghee and Donghae, still locked in the pose.

"You guys okay?"

Donghee gives you an OK sign as he struggles to keep balance. "I'm hungry..." he groans.

"YOU NEED TO GO ON A DIET, DONGHEE!" Heechul scolds him.

Donghae is just quietly holding his pose, his eyes avoiding yours.

This is getting really awkward...

"I'll look around some more, guys," you say. They finally drop their poses.

"Remember, Haneul, you only have until tomorrow to decide!!" Heechul calls out.

"I KNOW YOU'LL JOIN THE JUDO CLUB, HANEUL!!" Youngwoon adds.

You hear the two begin a verbal battle once again. You chuckle, roll your eyes and keep walking. 

 

The Theater Club - The home club of many famous actors in Korea! Bring out your best impressions!

You see Sungmin sitting at the booth. He sees you and wave, "Hey, Haneul! Come here for a minute."

You approach the theater club's booth. "Busy manning the booth, hyung?"

"Yep, we've got a lot of applicants this year," he smiles. "Maybe you're interested too?"

"I dunno, the others have been fighting over recruiting me into their clubs as well," you sigh. "It's getting difficult for me to decide."

"Well, I won't force you to join us if that's the case. We've got a pretty full sheet already, but you're welcome to audition in case we need actors with your specific face."

He leans in closer and whispers, "Just between you and me, we don't just do theater. We're partered with a few talent agencies so it's not really a purely theater club. It's got some TV and film acting in it too."

"Oooohh, niiiiice!" you grin. 

"I'll give you a call in case we need you, Haneul," he says. "Have fun choosing a club!"

"Alright, Sungmin hyung," you wave. "Later!"

 

The Student Council - Be a man of service, integrity, and honor to society. Join the student council.

You see Ryeowook manning the booth.

"Hey, Wookie!" you greet him.

"Haneul~!" he replies cheerfully. "Are you thinking of joining the student council?"

"Not sure. What do you guys do anyway?"

"Well, we basically are the student body government and we're in charge of making sure the students' voices are heard, and that we keep the peace in the school. Furthermore, we have several special sub-groups with different tasks but that's confidential."

"To be disclosed only to those who join," Siwon says, walking into the booth. "Hello, Kim Haneul."

"Hi, Siwon!" you reply.

Ryeowook seems surprised at the casuality of your greeting.

"Uh," Siwon fidgets. "In front of the student council, please address me as President-nim."

"Oh, okay, sorry." o:

"So... will I have the pleasure of seeing you among our ranks, Kim Haneul?" he says.

"I'll think about it, President-nim," you bow. You turn to Ryeowook and ask, "Um... Kim Kibum is part of the student council, right?"

"Oh, yes, he is," Ryeowook says. "But he's not here right now. He's on duty."

You are puzzled.

"On duty where?" you wonder.

"It's--" Ryeowook starts.

"Confidential," Siwon interrupts. "But please do consider joining the student council. Thank you, Kim Haneul."

"Thank you too, President-nim," you bow again before going on your way.

After you had seen the rest of the club booths, you return to your dorm room.

 

ROOM 101

Tired, you fall backwards onto your bed.

Gosh, so many clubs and people are convincing me to join this and join that. @_@ I have to make a decision tomorrow. Should I join just one club? Or do I join the Student Council as well? It would help me a lot in the future with job applications and stuff...

GAAAHHH, it's so hard to decide. I know I'm not joining the Fortune telling club though. That kid gave me the creeps. And I think he has a hunch about who I really am. It's best to stay away from him.

You decide that sleeping it off will enable you to have a clearer head tomorrow to make your decision.

SLEEEEEP...