Audition Day

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

 

March 8, Monday, After School: 4TH FLOOR  HALLWAY

It's the day of the auditions and you're standing in line outside the studio. Some are nervously going over their dance routine, and some are... well, really confident and noisy. Some are crowded around the glass doors of the studio, peeking inside. All the class sections had adopted your idea of having formal auditions and they were doing it per section, with the judges being three members of the past class's dance team. Now is the schedule for class 3-B, your class, and you yourself are quite nervous. Hyukjae is now inside doing his thing and you are next after him. 

I hope I can still do it. It's been what? 2 years since I last danced? 

You bite your nails and someone who passes by quickly whispers to you, "Hey, you're pretty girly for a guy, aren't you?" You look up and don't see anyone. 

Who was that? So insulting... 

You notice that the way you were standing had your knees close together with your feet a bit apart in an upside-down V shape. Like a nervous little girl. You quickly shift into man-mode. 

Ugh... So much hassle... 

"Ya, Haneul, you're next," Hyukjae calls you as he steps out of the studio.

"How was it, Hyukjae?" 

"Pretty good. I've been in the dance team for a long time anyway so I'm pretty sure I qualify. Break a leg in there," he pats your shoulder.

"I hope I won't," you mutter as you enter the studio.

"Kim Haneul?" Donghae asks. 

"Oh, you're one of the judges, Donghae? Haha."

"Yeah, but we still had to audition in front of each other. Just for formality's sake," he winks. "Okay, anytime you're ready." 

You plug in your mp3 player and play One Way by Jang Woo Hyuk. You close your eyes, take a deep breath, and feel the music through your bones. When you open your eyes again, you let loose and go wild, allowing the beat to take your body wherever it needs to go. 

"WOAH WOAH," you hear someone say. You are too absorbed in the music to bother. When the song cut ends, the three judges, Donghae and two other guys you don't know, give you a round of applause. So do the bunch of guys that had fallen into the studio after crowding by the door.

Donghae bounds over to you and takes your neck under his arm, ruffling your hair, "YA, HANEUL-AH, I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD BREAK DANCE!!! You're so cool!! Korea #1 Cool Guy Kim Haneul~~ Aiiish, why didn't you tell me??"

"You never asked. And besides, I haven't been able to dance for the past 2 years," you say with an xD face. 

"Well with what we saw just now, you didn't rust one bit," he says with a big grin. "But you don't look like the dancer type. I mean, your body is so small! Wait..."

He feels your arms. "No biceps." He feels your abdomen. "No abs either." Then he puts both hands on your chest. You look up at him in shock. Then look down at his hands on your chest. Then look at him again.

...

"Ya, what are you doing??" you shout as you push his hands away.

"What? I was just feeling if you had pecs, and you don't!" 

Ouch.

"But you sure have one heck of a dancing spirit in you," he adds. "That was a good ending to our class's auditions. Great job, everyone. Now for 3-C to start theirs." 

Isn't that Donghee's class?

You go out into the hallway but you don't see Donghee anywhere. You decide to wait for him until he shows up. He was the last to sign up after all. 

 

After several minutes... 

"Shin Donghee?" they call.

"Oy, isn't Shin Donghee that fat guy?" you hear some guys tell each other.

"Yes, I'm here!" you hear a panting Donghee shout back. 

Your face brightens. "Ya, Donghee-ya! Do your best!" you greet him as he passes by. 

"Thanks a lot, Haneul-ah. Thank you so much," he tells you before going inside the studio. 

As soon as he gets in, everyone crowds around the door.

"Aiish, why is that fatso going to audition?"

"Yeah, he might make us lose."

"I can dance better than him, plus I'm not fat!" 

These guys are so annoying. Donghee-ya, go on and show them what you do best! Fighting! 

When Donghee begins dancing, everyone gets quiet.

"Holy sh**," you hear someone say.

That's my Donghee!

Once he finishes, everyone stays quiet until Heechul shouts out.

"WOOOOHH!!!! YOU CAN DANCE, FATSO!!"

Everyone claps and whistles. Donghee looks at you from inside and he gives you a thumbs up while grinning from ear to ear. He is really happy. 

"Unfortunately, Donghee-sshi, we don't think you can fit in the team," Heechul says, being one of the judges of 3-C.

There is a hint of sadness in Donghee's eyes but he says, "That's okay. I just really wanted to prove to myself that I can dance and audition for this. After being rejected so many times, I wanted to live without regret. So I gave this my all. Thanks for your time though, hyungs." He bows. 

"You'd stick out like a pumpkin in our team because you're the only one who's plus-sized," Heechul says. But he stands up with his hands on his waist and suddenly blurts out, "AH WHO CARES?? You're JJANG!!! AND SO FUNNY!! I WANT YOU, SHIN DONGHEE!" 

Everyone cheers for Donghee who is now surrounded by lots of new friends. 

"The results for all the classes' auditions will be posted by tomorrow! Everyone clear out! It's time for the next section to have their auditions." 

You leave for your dorm room, accompanied by Heechul, Donghae, and Youngwoon. 

"Hyung, what class is Choi Siwon?" you ask.

"Uhh, 3-A. Why?" Youngwoon says.

"I was wondering... Does he join stuff like this too? Being the school president, he doesn't seem like the type." 

"No, he doesn't. He thinks he's too perfect for useless competitions such as this. What he does is join Math competitions abroad." 

"Boooooring~" Donghae says.

"YEAH, THAT'S WHY I DON'T SEE WHY YOONA IS GOING OUT WITH HIM! He may be handsome but he's such a nerd," Youngwoon scratches his head furiously. 

"I hate that whenever I have to go to his office, he ends up talking to me about religion all the time," Heechul says. "Doesn't he know that I respect his Christianity so he should respect my atheism as well? Sheesh." 

"How about Cho Kyuhyun?" you ask.

"He doesn't either," Youngwoon says. "He hates team work. Plain and simple." 

 

A few minutes later: 1st FLOOR DORM HALLWAY

You have now reached the dormitories. Youngwoon and Heechul go into their respective dorm rooms. 

"Hey, Haneul, come here," Donghae says. "Do you think you could help me with something?"

"Sure, what is it?" you reply, happy to help.

"Er... uh... um... You see I kind of like this girl..."

Oh brother...

"...Okay, I REALLY REALLY like this girl, and I'm kinda awkward around girls that I like so I say stupid things and, well...sigh...Can you give me some tips? You've been around girls more than any of us 'cause you're from an outside school."

"Well..." 

"PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEZZZZ~~"

"Okay, maybe I can just give you tips," you say giving in. "But it really depends on the girl, okay? Don't generalize them all under one category." 

"Wah, see you know so much! Are you free tonight or do you wanna talk about this another time?" 

 

"Yeah, I'm free now."

"Maybe another day. I've got something I have to do."