In the kitchen

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

Late Night (continuous)

You follow Hangeng into the main school building. He turns a corner. Just as you, Donghee and Heechul reach him, he disappears into the hallway. You no longer hear footsteps.

"He's hiding somewhere," you whisper. "Guys, split up. I'll check this door. You two check the others."

You enter the first door to your left.

 

CAFETERIA

All the lights are off in the school cafeteria. You can't see much except for the areas where the moonbeams enter through the window and spill on the floor and neatly lined up tables. You walk further inside.

Dammit, I should have brought a flashlight.

"Yeah, you should have," a voice echoes.

Startled, you try to see around you. "Who is that? Hangeng? Is that you? Where are you?"

It's really creepy thinking out loud and some voice answers you from the darkness. ._.

"A-are you a ghost?" you ask the voice.

"If you're looking for the guy who just ran into the kitchen, you will most probably find him in the kitchen," the voice says, ignoring your previous question.

"Who are you?" you ask again, hoping to locate the voice with your ears.

"We haven't seen each other for some time and you've already forgotten me?" the voice chuckles.

"What the-- Why don't you go to the gazebo anymore?? I think you've been avoiding me."

"True, because I know that your kind doesn't give up easily on strange eerie mysteries like myself."

"You're still not going to tell me who you are?"

"Don't count on it."

"Well, it's game over, Kim Kibum. I've caught you."

"Who's Kim Kibum?"

"Quit playing games with me, you stupid bookworm," you say, still trying to figure out where the voice is coming from. However, the cafeteria echoes your voices, making it difficult to hear the location of the source of the sound. Still, you try. 

"Who are you calling a stupid bookworm?" he replies, a hint of annoyance in his voice. 

"Oh, quit being such a girl," you remark. Your eye spies movement in one of the corners of the room. You try not to show that you've noticed him moving.

"Where's your flashlight?" you ask, trying to distract him.

"Lost it."

"Why don't you get a new one?" you say, taking another step towards the dark corner.

"Don't really have time to go out."

"But you're doing nothing right now," you rebutt.

"At this hour, do you think stores are still open? No. Stop asking stupid questions, Kim Haneul."

You look straight at the corner of the room. The moonlight shines around it, making the shadows of the corner appear darker than the rest of the room. Now that your eyes have gotten more used to the dark, you can barely make out a figure standing up. It gives you goosebumps. Nevertheless, you cautiously approach it.

"When have I... asked stupid questions?" you ask, trying to mask the nervousness in your voice.

"When you asked me who I was," the sitting figure answers. His voice has gotten louder.

Found you.

"And why would that be stupid?" You are standing directly in front of the figure now, the moonlight from the window bathing your face.

"Because," Flashlight guy says. "Not even I know the answer to that question."

You lunge forward, meaning to grab him and drag him towards the window to finally reveal his face. But instead, all you hit is an empty wall. You are more confused than ever.

Was I... hallucinating?

Or did he just really disappear that quickly?

No, it's not possible. No normal human can do that.

Unless he's not human. What did he mean by "your kind"? Is he not human like us?

...

Is he really a ghost?

Suddenly, you hear a metal pot fall in the kitchen. You jump in surprise, but you remember that you were looking for Hangeng. You decide to check it out.

 

KITCHEN

It is not as dark in the kitchen as you expected. You don't see any fallen pots on the floor though. You also don't see Hangeng anywhere.

"Hangeng?" you call out to him softly.

"I'm inside here," you hear a muffled voice say.

"Inside where?"

"Inside the closet. Behind you."

You look at the cabinet behind you. "That's not a closet, Hangeng."

"Oh, sorry. Well, I'm inside this wooden box."

"But why?" you ask, taking a seat on the floor beside the cabinet. "The others were really worried about you."

"They found my flyer..."

The one with his picture on it?

"What's wrong with a flyer?" you ask.

"... I guess I tell you everything now..." he sighs. He opens the cupboard full of pots and pans, and crawls out from it to sit beside you.

"Why don't you start by telling us where you've been all this time?" you suggest gently.

"Uhh... okay," he says, taking a deep breath. "But I can not speak Korean too well. So sorry first. I don't have club. I have outside school activity... Ballet." He bites his lip.

"What's wrong with that?" you ask.

"I never tell friends because ballet boy is gay boy. You know? But I'm not gay. But I'm just ballet boy. I like it. But they will just laugh. So I don't want tell anyone."

"Hey, I'm sure they wouldn't laugh at you for that," you pat his back. "Ballet is a different type of dance too but it just focuses on more graceful movements, and carrying, and footwork..."

And lots of other girl stuff... Ahem. 

"But no, I won't judge you because you do ballet, Hangeng hyung," you say.

"Xie xie," he smiles. "I have performance soon. In the flyer, it says. I am lead male ballet boy."

"Oh really?? Is that why you've been so busy?"

"Yes, I sleep in ballet studio because practice rehearsals veeeeery stressful and tiring," he says enthusiastically.

"We were so worried that you got kidnapped or something," you tell him. "Donghee was almost crying."

"Really??" he says, surprised. "But Donghee is veeeeery lacist."

"Lacist?"

"Yes," he nods. "Lacist. He calls me Beijing Fried Rice because I always eat Chinese style fried rice and he says he doesn't like dumpling but he steal my dumpling when I go to bathroom."

"OHHH you mean RACIST," you chuckle.

"Yes yes, LACIST," he grins proudly.

"RRRACIST."

"RRRLLLACIST."

"We need to work on your Korean," you laugh. 

 

ROOM 101

You and Hangeng meet up with Donghee and Heechul in your dorm room. After explaining things to them, the two guys finally understand why Hangeng had been hiding them all the time.

"Aw, my Beijing Fried Rice, why would I laugh at you because you do ballet? It's also dancing!" Donghee says, placing an arm around Hangeng's shoulder. 

"Yeah, I think ballet is totally cool," Heechul says, flipping his hair. "So are any of the girl ballerinas hot??"

"Hyuuuung," you groan. =_=

"Many are 'hot'," Hangeng chuckles with a smug face.

Is THAT the reason why he does ballet? =_=

Ugh. Boys will be boys.

Before Hangeng goes back to his room with Donghee, he pulls you aside and gives you a hug.

"Xie xie, Haneul," he smiles. "If you need help from Hangeng, just call me OK??" 

"I will," you chuckle. Before he leaves, you call out to him. "I have a question though."

"What question?" 

"Did you see anyone when you went into the cafeteria? I mean, anyone aside from me?"

"Hmm... no. Just myself."

"Ahh, I see... Why did you hide inside the cabinet anyway?"

He looks at you, a tinge of sorrow in his eyes. "I used to hide in my mother's kitchen cabinet in China. It reminds me of home." He turns around and closes the door behind him as he exits.

...

Home...

I haven't heard that word in a long time.

Haraboji, how have you been? It's been a while since I've talked to you in my heart. I never really felt homesick for the past months. Should that make me feel guilty? Now that I'm reminded of my family though... I kinda miss them too. I miss you the most, though. 

But I still can't understand why after all the time we spent together, you thought I was a boy.

"Haneul," Heechul calls out from his bed.

"Hm?" you respond.

"I wanna watch Geng's performance. That one in the flyer. I can't believe he never told us that he did ballet. I want to watch him."

"Yeah? Let's all watch it together with the rest of the guys," you smile, feeling proud that Heechul is supportive of his friend.

"That would be awesome. Then we can call dibs on the ballerinas."

=_=

Okay, I take back the 'feeling proud' part.

You turn off the lights and think about what Hangeng had said about his mom. You think about your own mom. And dad. And your grandpa. And everyone and everything else you left behind in order to have a good life by going to this school.

I've made so many sacrifices. I hope things turn out for the better...

I wonder what else Hangeng has sacrificed in order to be here.

You gradually fall asleep.