Last minute preps

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

It is now a week before the Seoul High summer festival but it is also finals week. The atmosphere in the hallways is a mixture of anxiety and excitement. You are tired from all the preparations and studying that you tried to juggle. Hopefully, you pass the final exams this time but you're more concerned about the festival.

Before homeroom begins, your weird teacher calls you outside.

"Yes, Teacher Jihoon?" you say.

"You okay, Kim Haneul?" he asks.

"Hm?" you tilt your head. "Yes, sir, I think I am. Why?"

"I was just concerned because you're the leader for your class booth and I heard that you're also helping that delinquent student of Teacher Minjung with their booth too. Plus you have finals (which I hope you still had time to study for). Your health is not deteriorating, is it, Mr. Kim Haneul?"

"Well, honestly, teacher, I'm exhausted but it can't be helped," you sigh. "I'd rather live a hard life now and be successful in the future than regret everything when the time comes."

Teacher Jihoon looks at you thoughtfully, hands in his pocket, and nods. "Man, I wish I had that mindset when I was your age. I'd probably be like a mighty storm by now instead of a simple drizzle. Anyway let's go in now. If you need help with anything, just ask me."

"Thank you, teacher," you bow.

Mrs. Park from Siwon's resort had contacted you regarding the costumes. It was tough catching each one of your classmates to get their measurements. You also had to measure some of them while they were asleep in their dorm rooms unsuspectingly. 

In addition to this, some of your other classmates volunteered to take care of the food and drinks for the maid cafe. You are thankful for the decrease in your workload but are still very tired from everything. 

 

After class...

"Psst, Haneul," someone says from the door of your classroom. 

"Huh?" you jolt awake. You had fallen asleep on your desk. Your heavy eyes turn toward Hyukjae, peeking from the door. 

"Oh hey, Hyukjae," you say sleepily, rubbing your eyes.

"Haneul, first of all, thank you again for helping me out," he says as he sits at the desk next to yours.

"No problem, man," you smile weakly. These past days, you easily get tired after a whole day of class. "Everything all set for your booth?"

"There have been people mysteriously texting me that they're confirming their performance on the festival day," he explains, scratching his head. "But not everyone told me who they were. One person just sent an anonymous text that said, 'Is Seoul High ready for me to blow their minds away? Confirming my performance. Tnxbye.'"

"Oh, don't worry about that," you grin mischievously. "Make that person perform last so that it will be a really big surprise."

Hyukjae blinks at you with his mouth slightly open, not understanding at all.

 "... Okay."

"No one is still helping you?" you ask the poor monkey.

"Ah, not really... Only Jungsu sort of taught me how to organize the stage and where we could rent sound equipment."

"Really? o: Jungsu hyung helped you? Wow, he's the last person I'd expect to do that."

"Yeah, me too," Hyukjae laughs. "But Haneul, the reason why I came to you now is also because I lack one more performer. Do you think you can perform too? Like, sing or something?"

"What?! Can't you perform instead?" 

"Even though I want to, I'm gonna be busy backstage handling the whole thing," he says sadly. "Pleeeeaaaase, Haneulie..."

"God, you sound like Donghae," you say, making a face at him. 

Hyukjae tries to make puppy eyes at you and holds your hands pleasing. You look at him disgusted. 

"Not working," you say.

"Puh puh puh puhleeez, Haneul! In the name of friendship and our ancestors who fought to rebuild this country, puhleeeeezeu!!"

._.

"No, I can't, Hyukjae," you shake your head. Then an idea strikes you. "But... hmmm... I think I can find one more performer for you. He sings really well and plays the guitar too." 

"Holy crepe, if you can get him to complete the performers list, I'll love you forebur."

"I will," you say. "Just don't expect ME to perform. Hahaha."

 

6pm: SHRINE

"Kyuhyun-ah!" you wave at Kyuhyun who is tickling Kyuhyun the beagle on his lap. When he sees you, his mood grows sour.

"Psh," he says. "Don't 'Kyuhyun-ah' me. You're my executioner who will cut off my head by putting me in a stupid dress."

You laugh. "Aww, don't be mad at me please! It's for the sake of our class booth. It's not like I wanted to see you in a dress."

He narrows his eyes at you accusingly.

"Okay fine, maybe I did," you chuckle. "But hey, I tried to change it but Teacher Jihoon said that no one is allowed to change their concepts anymore."

"You silly girl, you should've listened to me," he says, rubbing his temples. He heaves a big sigh. "Well, there's nothing we can do anymore. If this didn't affect our grades though, I'd totally not show up."

"I'm sorry, Kyuhyunnn," you say, trying to be cute and forgivable. "It was my mistake. Please don't be pissed at me anymoooore~"

At the same time, Kyuhyun the beagle pees on Kyuhyun the human's shoe. She does so while looking up at him innocently.

"Ugh, girls," he grumbles.

This makes you laugh out loud. "Hey," you begin. "How are you with singing in front of crowds?"

He looks at you with a puzzled expression. "Not very good. Why? What are you getting at?"

"Weeeell, class 3-C needs one more performer for their gig event for the festival..."

"Ohohoho no," he goes. "Not me. Not me please."

"But you're really really good at singing!" you try to convince him. "Tell me, what is the problem with you and singing in public, exactly?"

"I don't like people looking at me," he says plainly.

"... Oh. That's, uh, kinda hard to remedy."

"It's embarrassing if they see that it's me singing because of my reputation," he frowns. "I'm nice to you and all but I honestly don't want to lose my tough guy image."

You sigh. "Don't you want people to hear the songs that you write?" you ask, hoping that he'd answer you truthfully.

He looks at you and bites his lip. Then he looks down at his feet where Kyuhyun the beagle is lying down.

"I... " he starts. "I want people to hear the stories and feelings I express in my songs." He sighs. "But I don't want them to know that it's the bully Cho Kyuhyun who sings them. They'll just be tainted, you know?"

You nod slowly, finally understanding where he's coming from.

Kyuhyun continues, "I think my songs are the only purity left in me right now. I don't think anybody else is gonna hear them besides you." 

You look at him forlornly. "Well, at least you have a good singing voice and you don't need to pretend. I think I'm not gonna be able to sing in public ever because I'm not confident with myself and I'm supposed to be a boy."

Kyuhyun suddenly turns to you. "Are you sure you can't sing?"

"Yep," you reply. "Not like this."

You both sit in silence as the sun bathes the stone path of the ancient shrine in orange and red hues. Kyuhyun slowly fades into a silhouette beside you on the wooden steps. You can no longer see the details of his face. 

It is then that you see a sliver of brilliance that you should have thought up in the first place.

"Mask," you blurt out, turning to him. "You can wear a mask!"

Kyuhyun's silhouette turns toward you as well. "... Are you serious?"

You nod with conviction. "It's the only way."

"Why are you so hell-bent on getting ME to sing, of all people??" 

"Because I don't want you to cage yourself anymore. Because I believe that you can make it further than I ever wished for myself. And because we're friends. That's what friends do. They take care of each other and challenge each other to be the best they can be."

You can feel his eyes intently burning into you. 

"Friends," he says in a low and serious tone. "Don't just push each other into boiling water and leave them on their own."

There is a moment of quiet as you digest each word spoken. You swallow the lump in your throat.

"Then I'll go into the boiling water with you," you say, your voice gentle and softening.

"... Can you hold my hand for the plunge?" he whispers.

You think about it really hard. You know what he is asking you to do however you can't help but notice how your heart is rushing right now. You feel like just going with the moment.

"I will," you promise. 

You feel his fingers wrapping around yours. Another lump rises in your throat. The warmth of his hand makes you feel secure and safe. He squeezes your hand gently.

You wonder if this guy might have feelings for you. 

No, Haneul, you can't. Remember?

Kyuhyun swats away all those assumptions for you though, as he takes his hand back and stretches a bit. He says, "So it's settled. You're singing with me at the festival."

You start to protest but then you realize that that was what he meant by "not going into boiling water alone". You sigh in defeat.

"Let's practice our songs tomorrow," Kyuhyun says cheerfully. "We'll need to think of a duo name."

"There is no changing your mind, huh? I really need to sing with you?" you tisk. "Fine then. I suppose it will be okay if I'm in a mask too. If that's the case, maybe we can be 'The Masked Marauders' or something."

"If there were three of us, we could have been 'The Three Mask-eteers'," Kyuhyun laughs heartily, pleased with his joke.

"You're sooo hilarious, oh my god," you say sarcastically. "Boys are so corny. Hey, what about 'The Bully and the Victim'?" you snicker.

"We're waaaay past that now, okay, Haneul?" he says defensively. 

"Okay, sorry, hahaha, I was just teasing. Isn't it funny how we can laugh about those times now though?" :P

He smirks, "Yeah, that's true. But you were really an annoying shrimp."

"Whatever, you Goliath beetle." 

"What the heck, where did THAT come from??" he laughs, amused. 

"You're tall." 

"Goliath beetle?? Of all things? HAHAHAHAH!" 

"The name is big but it's smaller than a shrimp," you say, planting your hands on your hips. "Or at least I think it is."

"Oh, you silly girl. Anyway, let's get back on track. You wanna just be straight up direct and call ourselves 'No-Face'?" 

"No-Face?" 

"Yeah, like that weird monster from the movie 'Spirited Away'," he tells you. "We can wear masks like him too, hahahah." 

"Hm, okay then," you chuckle. "Just to get it over with. It's not like we'll actually perform regularly anywhere anyway." 

 

Evening: POOL SHOWER AREA

You let the warm shower water flow down over your closed eyes as you enter tranquility. Everything seems to be going fine (except for that last blow by Hyukjae so now you'll have to sing with Kyuhyun at the festival). You try to go through all the things that you'll have to do soon. The next few days will pass by like a breeze.

Final exams.

Costumes.

Snacks and beverages.

Masks. 

Practice with Kyuhyun. 

Performers I got with the help of:

Big Mama. (Music Club)

Donghae. (Dance Club)