The Day of the Competition

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

April 2, Friday, 8:00pm: FIELD

The days have passed by quickly, ending with conversations with newly found friends who had grown to be closer friends, dance rehearsals inducing sweat and tears, and little stories here and there. Today is the day of the dance competition and at 8 o' clock in the evening, it is about to start. The outdoor field is now decorated with a big stage, glowing red, blue, green, and yellow in the spotlights. All the chairs have been filled and some audience members had to stand because they had run out of monoblock chairs.

Nervousness and anticipation.

You are backstage with the other dance troupes. Every class has their own unique costume. Your class (3-B) is comprised of you, Donghae, Youngwoon, and a few other guys as dance representatives, sporting a rugged black leather look with spikes for accents. Class 3-C's dance representatives, Heechul, Hyukjae, Jungsoo, and Donghee are looking slick in black suits and fedoras-- even Donghee, yes. Some of the guys are fidgeting, while others are doing last-minute re-runs. 

You and Donghae take a little peek at the audience that was going wild as the MC's went up on stage. 

"Hey hey, look it's Choi Siwon over there. And he's with Yoona," Donghae says. 

"I thought he wasn't the type to attend childish things like this," you say.

"As long as he's not the one onstage dancing, he's pretty chill with it. Says 'it's for his image'."

You turn to go backstage again but you see Donghae scanning the seats frantically. 

"Looking for someo--?"

"OMO!!!! HANEUL-AH!!! IT'S JESSICA!! OVER THERE THERE THERE!!!!" he suddenly jumps.

You see a girl, quietly sitting, in a pink mini-skirt and white flowy blouse somewhere near a bunch of screaming girls. 

She's really pretty. SCREW MY LIFE. GAAAHHHH.

"Wow, she's pretty. No wonder you're head over heels for her," you comment.

"She's so perfeeeeecttttt~~" he sings, not taking his eyes off her.

"Meh," you mutter under your breath. "She looks like a ."

"Did you say something, Haneul-ah?"

"Huh? Nothing, I only said that she looks like she has a, uh, BEACH body?"

"Yeah, she does~" 

This is getting annoying. 

"Come on, Donghae, let's not block the way of the other performers. The first group is up," you say as you pull him backstage. 

Still annoyed, you leave Donghae to finish swooning and go over to Donghee who is sitting quietly in a corner. 

"Ya, Donghee-ya," you grin. 

"Oh, Haneul-ah," he smiles back.

"How are you? Nervous?"

"Yeah, really nervous," he says, rubbing his temples with his fingertips. "I hope I don't mess this up. It's my last chance. Plus, there's going to be... people... watching, so I need to give it all I've got."

"Yep, and I'm sure you'll do just fine, man."

"Thanks, Haneul-ah, you're a really great person. By the way, don't leave right away after the competition. I have someone I want to introduce to you."

"Oh? Okay, sure. Who is it?"

"It's a secret. Don't worry, you'll find out soon."

"Okay then," you say.

"YA SHIN DONGHEE!" Youngwoon shouts. He firmly places his hand on Donghee's shoulder. "May the best team win." 

"Neh, hyung," Donghee grins. "Break a leg."

"AIIISH, this punk wants me to die and embarrass myself by breaking my leg. After all that I've done for you, you say that??"

"It means to do a good job, hyung," you say.

"You haven't done anything for me," Donghee laughs.

"Let's just see. I'm thinking if I'm going to let your team win on purpose, or I'll beat you down like a good hyung disciplines his younger brother. "

He pinches Donghee's cheeks playfully and says, "Aing, so cute~" Without warning, Donghee carries Youngwoon up in the air by his legs. 

"WOOOAAAHHWOOOAHHH!!! I'M YOUR HYUNG!!! OBEY ME!!" Youngwoon shouts, his arms flailing helplessly. Donghee just lets out a big ogre-like laugh.

"DANCE TROUPE 3-B, STANDBY!" the stage manager repeats, going around the backstage.

"OH OH OH  WE'RE NEXT! PUT ME DOWN, DONGHEEEEEE!" Youngwoon shouts.

You look at Donghae, warming himself up by bouncing up and down, stretching his neck and arms. You can't help but smile. He looks at you, taking you by surprise, and gives you a double thumbs up. "Fighting!"

"Fighting!" you reply.

"DANCE TROUPE 3-B, YOU'RE UP!!" the stage manager shouts. "GO GO GO!!"

Youngwoon, Donghae, and your other team mates go to you and put your hands together. "DANCE TROUPE 3-B--- FIGHTIIIING!!!!!!" You run to the stage and the music starts.

Let's dance our hearts out!