Mysterious muggers

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

Late Night: BORYUNG MEDICAL HOSPITAL

You are in the hospital hallway with Heechul, Jongwoon, Sungmin, Hyukjae, Donghae, Jungsu, Hangeng, Donghee, Ryeowook and Siwon.

Just several minutes earlier, Youngwoon had given you the shock of your life. You had never seen a person bleeding like that before. He had bruises and wounds on his face, and was bleeding heavily from the right side of his abdomen. You and Donghae quickly alerted the rest of the guys and Siwon called for an ambulance. You all went to the hospital owned by Siwon's dad.

His family seems to own everything. o_o

Everyone is worried about Youngwoon-- most especially Jungsu. He seems too shocked to even speak to any of you. Heechul and Sungmin are teary-eyed as they watch him through the glass doors of the ICU. Hangeng is sitting down quietly beside Jongwoon and Donghee. Hyukjae is pacing anxiously back and forth. You are having a conversation in one side of the hallway with Ryeowook, Donghae, and Siwon.

"We were just talking and we saw someone approaching the dorm," Donghae explains. "When we looked more closely, we saw that it was Youngwoon hyung and he was bleeding, holding his right side. Then he fainted just before he got into theI dorm."

"That's when we ran to him and called everybody out to help," you add.

"I see," Siwon says, placing a hand on his chin. "You didn't see anyone else? No one following him?"

"Nope, there was no one," you shake your head.

"We'll just have to wait until the procedure is done, then Dr. Jeon can give us an update on his condition," he says.

"It's going to be okay, Haneul," Ryeowook says, patting your back.

You are honestly worried. Although you think that Youngwoon is a boisterous guy, you never thought that it would reach up to a point like this where his life is in danger. Heechul approaches you.

"That kid lives on the edge too much," he says, shaking his head. "When I'd go drinking with him, he'd pick fights a lot and me and Jungsu always have to mediate and escape with goons on our heels."

"So this is normal for him?" you ask, confused.

"It's normal that he'd get into bar fights when he's drunk, but no one ever really got this far," Heechul says, twitching his lips. "He usually judo throws everyone and he's always the last man standing. So yeah, this is pretty weird for me. Even Jungsu thinks it's strange." 

"He told you?"

"No," Heechul says pointing over at him. "Just look at him, he's not talking to anybody at all. No emotions on his face whatsoever. Something's up."

Hangeng and Donghee walk over to you and your group. "We're going to get some coffee," Donghee says. "The others gave us their orders." 

"You want any something?" Hangeng asks, in his bad Korean.

You give them your orders-- yours is a chocolate frappucino thanks to the memory of your "date" with Joongki and you take your seats in the hallway. Siwon sits beside you.

"How are you doing?" he asks, concerned.

"I'm tired but I'd rather wait for Youngwoon's results. I'm really worried about hyung..." you answer sadly.

He places a hand on your back to comfort you but he cringes as if in pain and quickly pulls it back. Frustrated, he looks at his hand while taking deep breaths. You raise an eyebrow at him.

"Don't mind me, I'm fine," he says, gritting his teeth. "I think I'll go and make sure Donghee and Hangeng don't drop the coffee."

Your stomach grumbles. Crap, I forgot that I haven't eaten dinner yet.

"I think I'll come with you, Siwon," you say, standing up. "I'm really hungry."

He bites his lip nervously. "Oh, um, okay."

You go to the Starbuko Cafe in the other end of the hospital. You see Hangeng and Donghee waiting for the orders.

"Oh hey, guys," Donghee waves. "Any news?" 

"Nothing other than my stomach crying for help," you say.

Siwon sits down beside Donghee and Hangeng. You go up to the counter and order a sandwich with cottage cheese, hungarian sausage and basil. You take your food to their table.

"You guys not hungry?" you ask.

"Nah, we're good thanks," Donghee replies.

"I'm okay," Hangeng says.

"Siwon, how about you?"

He looks at you with raised eyebrows. "Oh me? I-I'm good, I'm fine, I'm okay," he says, placing both his hands up to emphasize his not wanting to eat.

Donghee and Hangeng snicker.

"What?" Siwon asks.

"Nothing, nothing," they say, holding in their laughter.

Oh, right, another Siwon gesture. xD

You take a bite of your sandwich.

"3 Americanos, 4 caramel frappucinos, 2 chocolate frappucinos, 1 cafe latte and 1 decaf for Wonbin and Kang Hodong!" the Starbuko employee calls out.

"Wonbin and Kang Hodong are here??" you exclaim. You get excited. "WHERE ARE THEY??? WHERE??"

"Oh, nope, that's just us, Haneul," Donghee laughs.

"We had fun a bit," Hangeng chuckles.

=_=

Stop getting my hopes up.

Siwon takes a sip of his coffee before you and the other two start walking back with the rest of the orders.


"Are you really going to hold your cup like that, Siwon hyung?" you ask.

"I do it all the time," he replies. "What's wrong with it?"

"I'm just worried that it could spill and burn you..." o_O

"Never happened to me," he says. "No reason for it to happen now."

You shrug. "Whatever you say, president-nim," you mock.

"Shut up," he says. =_=

At least this guy's got a casual side to him too. xD I was starting to wonder whether he did stupid things like us normal people.

When you return, you see Jungsu talking to a doctor. You quickly rush towards them but are careful not to spill the coffee you brought.

"Here, guys, pass them around," you say, giving your bundle of coffee to Donghae and Hyukjae. You take your chocolate frappucino and hurriedly listen in on the doctor's update.

"He's stabilized now," Dr. Jeon explains. "We just need to give him time to rest. We had to do some stitches though because of the knife wound in his right rib cage--"

Knife wound??!

"Fortunately," the doctor continues. "none of his major organs got punctured. He just fainted due to excess blood loss. As for the blow he took to his head though--"

A blow to the head????!!!

"He might have trouble moving at first but once he's used to it once again, he will be as fine as he was before. I advise that we keep him here until he is able to move well enough just in case anything else happens. Hopefully, by tomorrow or the day after that, he'll be fine."

"Is he awake?" Siwon asks.

"No, the patient is still unconscious," Dr. Jeon replies. "But we have moved him from the ICU to a private room so you may go see him now."

As you and the rest of the guys follow Dr. Jeon to Youngwoon's room, you are still stuck on the words "knife" and "blow to the head". They seem to keep echoing in your head.

"Haneul, what are you whispering?" Donghae asks curiously.

"Oh, nothing nothing..." o_o

Is this what genuine shock is like?

 

YOUNGWOON'S HOSPITAL ROOM

Everyone is relieved that his vital signs are stabilized but it breaks your heart to see the noisy, obnoxious bully Youngwoon in a hospital bed unconscious with a IV tube sticking out of his arm. Jungsu takes the seat next to Youngwoon's bed. You can see that his face is stone hard and emotionless. It's difficult to read him but it seems like he's battling with something in his mind.

Could he know something about this?

Dr. Jeon says, "Hopefully, once the anaesthetic wears off, he'll be awake tomorrow. I'll leave you with him. Just press the button if anything goes wrong."

After Dr. Jeon leaves, Sungmin says, "So it wasn't just a normal fight this time? Someone tried to kill him."

"If it was just one person involved, Youngwoon would have beaten the crap out of him," Heechul says. "There was more than one person--no, more than two people involved in this, I'm sure."

"They ganged up on him?" Jongwoon gasps.

"Who could have such a huge grudge against Youngwoon hyung that they'd want to get rid of him so badly?" you wonder out loud.

"Weeeell, I can name several people," Heechul says.

=_=

Ah.

"But the only ones I know are just high school students like us," he continues. "And none of those people would be brave enough to even consider actually KILLING Youngwoon. They know that the school would be onto them."

"Nevertheless, the student council will make sure that the suspects for this event will be discovered and brought to justice," Siwon says. "Once Youngwoon wakes up, I and some student council members will return here to interrogate Youngwoon to ensure that the ones responsible for his attempted murder will be caught."

"Thank you so much, Siwon," the boys say.

"Ryeowook, inform the team of the events," Siwon says.

"Yes, president-nim," he replies. Siwon and Ryeowook exit the room.

Finally, Jungsu speaks up. "Everyone, you'd better go back to the dorms. You've got class in the morning."

"But--" the others say.

"GO," he says firmly. "I'll take care of Youngwoon."

"Don't you have class too, hyung?" you ask.

"It's better that only one of us misses class than all of you getting into trouble," he replies. "Just go. Good night, guys. Take care on your way back."

You and the rest of the guys go out of the room leaving Jungsu with Youngwoon. Although the doctor says Youngwoon's condition is stable, you're all still very worried.

Return to Seoul High dorms.