The Dance Club

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

May 25, Wednesday: DANCE STUDIO

Today is the general assembly of all clubs, except the student council. You are outside the dance studio taking deep breaths before you step inside. Donghee sees you in the hallway.

"Haneul, what are you doing outside? Go in!" he says.

"Oh, I was feeling kinda nervous, so I'm sort of taking my time," you say, scratching your head.

"Well, there's not time now. We're starting," he takes your arm and brings you with him inside.

"HANEUL, YOU CHOSE USSSS!!" Heechul shouts. "I just knew you were going to pick us over that stupid Judo team."

"Ehehe, I wasn't sure if I could survive Judo," you chuckle.

"You've come to the right place, my friend," he says. "Sit down anywhere you want."

You take a spot on the floor. You see Donghae on the other side. He doesn't mind you.

Really though, what did I do wrong? :(

You try not to think about it as everyone sits down on the floor and a familiar-looking guy steps in the front of the room.

"Hey, guys, I'm the dance coach for the dance club of Seoul High," he says. "My name is Jung Yunho."

Oh my god, I do know this guy. O_O

"Some of you might know me, and some of you might not. We're more popular with girls," he laughs. "I won a prize in the 1st Annual SM Best Competition in 1999 and I started my training there in the year 2000. 2 years ago, I was a back-up dancer for Shinhwa and was part of some other prospect groups which were all dropped. However, last year, SM put me in this group called TVXQ or DBSK and we had our debut. Now, we're signing up with AVEX, sub-label Rhythm Zone, a Japanese label, under the name Tohoshinki."

You hear "Ooohs" from the other students.

"I'm not so busy just yet," he continues. "But if our group is successful, this might be the last year I will coach the dance club here. I get Friday evenings off every once in a while so I do the best I can. Also, I can try to get you guys into SM Entertainment or YG or something," he winks. "Sometimes, I'll be the one coaching you. Other times, I'll invite a guest coach to coach you guys instead. It's going to be fun learning different dancing styles. A warning though, these coaches are pretty fun but when it comes down to business, they can be pretty strict. Just keep your focus, do your best, and you'll be fine."

He takes a whiteboard marker and writes on the mirror behind him.

Why are you writing on the mirror??

"Oh, don't worry, it comes off," he chuckles.

Crap, I was thinking out loud again...

"Like music, there are many genres of dances," he explains. "Classical dance, interpretative dance, step dance, and street dance are some of them. Under those there are MANY MORE sub-genres of dancing. Under classical dance, for example, there's ballet and ballroom dancing. African dances are usually interpretative dances. Square dancing falls under step dance. And the more popular kind among us young ones (yes, I'm not so much older than you guys, okay??) is street dancing. Under that, there's breakdancing, pop 'n locking, and etc etc. The dances you see on TV now fall more under the street dancing category, hip hop music and all.

We can probably tackle some of the other genres if you guys want, but we'll be focusing more on street dancing. I'll teach you different moves and you can add in some of your own. Try to impress me but don't break your necks! Heechul, I'm talking to you, hahahha. Anyway, at the end of the school year, we'll be having a recital to show everyone what you've learned by then. There will be times when I'll place you in groups or pairs to choreograph something on your own and show the club the following week. Yes, just a week. In the industry, that's sometimes the amount of time you'll be given to learn and master an entirely new dance, or else it's the end of your career. It happens to me a lot and I hate it, but you'll need to train yourselves to do that.

Anyway, for today, I'll be teaching you all something relatively easy that I choreographed before. When we meet again on Friday, I want each of you to do dance in front of the club but you need to add your own personal touch to it. You're not a real dancer if you can't express yourself through your personal choreography.

Let's begin."

Everyone stands up and Yunho proceeds to teach the dance.

This is EASY???

After 30 minutes of learning and practice, you are all tired. Especially Donghee who is drenched in sweat and panting.

"Good work today, guys," Yunho claps. "As I said, practice this dance and add your own choreography to it. I'll be looking forward to seeing it on Friday. Go on get out of here. Except you, Donghae. Come over here for a bit."

You watch as Donghae walks, head down, towards Yunho. Heechul and Donghee take you by the arms and shout to Yunho, "See you on Friday, sunbae-nim!!!"

Yunho waves and resumes talking to Donghae. He looks concerned about him. You want to listen in on their conversation but the two idiots on either side of you drag you out with them.

 

ON THE WAY BACK TO THE DORMS

"Aren't you so glad you signed up with us, Haneul??" Heechul says. "It's so much fun~"

"Yeah, but it's tiring too," you laugh.

"REALLY tiring," Donghee says.

"When are you going to go on a diet, Donghee??" Heechul says. "The people at the agency say that you should diet already!"

"Agency?" you wonder.

"Oh, remember that time at the dance competition, Haneul?" Donghee says. "Someone scouted me while you were talking with Nari. I'm now a trainee of SM Entertainment, so I've been a bit busy after school and am always tired."

"Aaaand during the band contest, WE got scouted by SM Entertainment too!" Heechul announces. "Me, Youngwoon, Jongwoon, Jungsu, and even Siwon! I haven't seen Siwon at SM yet though. He probably decided not to go through with it."

"Ohhh, I see," you say. "Is that how you both know Yunho?"

"Yep!" Donghee says.

"He's our sunbae-nim," Heechul explains. "It's because he debuted with his group DBSK. He's there with Hyukjae's best friend Kim Junsu. You met him at the band contest I think."

"Ah right, I remember."

"Anyway, Yunho is a really cool guy," Heechul says. "You'll like him."

You reach the dorms. Donghee says goodbye to you and Heechul and you both go into your room.

I'm so tired. My body hurts. Dx I really lack exercise. TT TT I think I'll take a short nap before doing my homework.

You fall asleep.