Sunny!

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

June 12, Saturday: FROST BYTES

You watch enviously as Donghae eats another piece of strawberry. You're supposed to be sharing the ice cream sundae but he seems to be stealing all the toppings for himself. 

If only I had gone easy on eating out, I wouldn't have to be thrifty in moments where I need extra cash the most. The scholar's allowance comes every month and I'm running out already. Dx Maybe I should get a part-time job ... Or do some one-day jobs that I hear about from other students. 

Donghae, sitting across from you in the booth, doesn't seem to notice your wavering enthusiasm because he is too focused on the sundae. 

"Hey come on," you complain. "You're not the only one eating!"

He looks at you with his mouth packed full of fruits as if he was a chipmunk saving his food for later. "Pshorrhhy..." he manages to say. "Whunt shomm??" he asks you, pretending to scoop out some chewed up fruits from his mouth to offer to you. 

Disgusted, you face away from him. "No, thanks, fishface."

"Iff yogh shay shoh~" Donghae replies. 

Annoying... =_= 

While you have your face turned towards the window, you see Jessica, Sunny and Tiffany passing by. Your eyes widen and you glance at Donghae, hoping he wouldn't notice them-- especially Jessica-- out of fear that he might get upset with you again.

Donghae is too busy burying his face in the ice cream cup. He doesn't seem to have seen them.

You try to keep your face turned the opposite direction, away from the window this time, so that the girls wouldn't recognize you either. After a moment, you cautiously look back at the window. They're gone.

"Whew," you sigh to yourself, relieved.

"Oh, oppa-deul, you're here!" you hear someone squeal.

Unfortunately, it seems that you had sighed too soon.

You turn around to see Jessica, Sunny and Tiffany inside the ice cream parlor. You open your mouth but nothing comes out.

Quickly, you check on Donghae. He looks unexpectedly calm and collected. The ice cream is all gone though. 

Maybe the ice cream helped cool his head off. XD 

"Hi, guys," you smile, trying to hide your nervousness about the past Donghae-Jessica issue. 

"Mind if we sit with you?" Sunny cheerfully asks, clueless about everything. 

"U-uh... I d--" you stammer. You don't know what to do but Donghae suddenly answers for you.

   

"Sure," he smiles. "Please sit."

Surprised, you look over at him and raise your eyebrows, worried. His calm brown eyes meet your gaze. Understanding what's going on in your head, Donghae just twists the side of his mouth and shrugs a little as if to say "There's nothing we can do about it."

Before you can do anything else, Jessica slides into your seat and Sunny squeezes in beside her. Tiffany sits next to Donghae. 

"Soooo~" Sunny starts. "I heard that your pre-summer festival is coming soon."

"Yeah," you and Donghae nod. 

"Oh, I can't wait!" Tiffany chirps. "It's always so much fun every year."

"Yeah, that's true~" Jessica joins in. "I remember last year your class did the mini-fair thing with the ferris wheel and bump cars!"

"Uh, that was Choi Siwon's class," Donghae remarks.

"Oh, was it? I forget, hahaha~" Jessica giggles.

In your mind, you roll your eyes at her. 

"Sica, Donghae oppa's class did the water balloon relay, I think," Sunny says.

Tiffany bursts out laughing. "OHOHOH the one where she ended up soaking wet and had to buy clothes from a boutique?? HAHAHAHA how could I forget that?" 

"Shut up, Tiffany," Jessica says in English, pouting. "I couldn't have walked all the way back to our dorm drenched!"

"Okay okay," Tiffany giggles and snorts a bit as she tries to suppress her laughter. "But you should remember not to wear heels next time. You can't do a relay with stilettoes. Moreso if it involves water balloons!"

"Were you guys gonna order anything?" you ask. 

"Oh, oppa, thanks for reminding us!" Sunny exclaims. She calls the waiter and the three girls order their ice cream.

You watch longingly as they spoon chocolate fudge ice cream with brownie bits into their mouths. 

The torture...

"Anyway," Sunny says, wiping some chocolate drip off of the side of . "What are you guys gonna do for this year's festival?"

You and Donghae look at each other. 

"We haven't really thought about it yet," Donghae answers. 

"WHAT???" Sunny shouts, her voice suddenly becoming a burst of intimidating gunfire. "You still haven't thought about it and you have only a few weeks left before the actual festival?? What if the idea you come up with needs a lot of preparations and props that take a looong time to make?? You have to start now!! I can't believe boys, really! Boys keep waiting until the last minute to get started on something! They should do it like girls do it, you know?? Start very early, keep doing it, so that by the time of the actual event, everything is perfect! No, BEYOND perfect!! It must be 'BERFECT'!!!" 

You and Donghae just blink at her. 

"You've been hanging out with Heechul a lot, haven't you?" you comment.

Sunny is suddenly aware of herself and she takes a deep breath. "Whew, sorry, guys. I just get worked up sometimes." She giggles and scratches her neck, embarrassed. 

Jessica and Tiffany giggle with their enraged fairy-like friend. "We've gotten used to it," Jessica says. 

"Her work ethic really helps a lot though," Tiffany says. "You guys shoukd try it at least once. You might just win best booth this time."

You lift an eyebrow. "Donghae, there's some kind of contest?" you ask him. 

"Yep, sorry, forgot to mention it," Donghae explains. "We need to count how many people come visit our booth. The booth with the highest head count wins a special prize for the whole class."

Your eyes light up. "Is the prize money?"

Everyone laughs. 

"No, it's usually something else," Donghae replies. "Usually, schools don't give money prizes."

"Aw..." you slump back into your chair. 

"Are you a business-minded guy like Siwon, oppa?" Tiffany laughs.

"Nah, well," you begin. "I'm just kinda running low on cash now so I need to find some additional money source besides the school's scholarship allowance."

"So THAT'S why you didn't order a sundae for yourself!" Donghae suddenly realizes. "Aw, Haneul, you should have told me! I'd have bought you another sundae."

"Really now?" you narrow your eyes at him.

"Well..." Donghae checks his wallet. "Oh, I didn't have enough for two... I guess not. D: "

"Why don't you get a part-time job, Haneul oppa?" Tiffany suggests.

"Yeah, I've actually been considering it," you reply wistfully. "But I'm already trying to juggle my schoolwork, club activities, plus I'm going to be part of the student council so I don't think I have time for a part-time job."

"Oh, why don't you get a one-time job instead?" Sunny points out. 

"Where am I supposed to find something like that?" o_O 

"Online," Donghae answers. "I do that sometimes and it's really easy to search them on Naver 'cause there are always job postings everyday." 

"Why didn't you tell me you did stuff like that before??"

"Uhh..." he scratches his head. "You never asked, so I figured you didn't need to do extra jobs." 

"Oh oh oh! Guys!" Sunny chirps. "I know someone who scouts for one-timers for M!Countdown! If you want, I could hook you up." 

"M!Countdown??" you gasp. "Are you serious?? OHMYGOD OHMYGOD YES PLEASE~~ Uh, I mean, uh... Chyeah, that'd be okay. Right, Donghae?"

Despite you trying to hold in your excitement, Donghae is letting his overflow like honey. "WAAAH~ I'll get to see celebrities and get paid to see them!!! Haneuuuullll~~~ We haaaave to doooo thiiiiiis~~" He grabs you from across the table and starts shaking you to and fro, making you feel like a weightless ragdoll. You start to see stars-- literal stars-- over your head. 

You give Donghae a smack on the forehead.

"OW!"

"Anyway, Sunny," you say. "What exactly will we be doing at M!Countdown anyway?" 

"Sometimes, they make the volunteers fix the chairs for the audience, sometimes they help out with the production crew, and if you're lucky, you get to help the staff assigned to the celebrities." 

"SO WE REALLY WILL SEE CELEBRITIES???" Donghae asks excitedly, his hands clasped together tightly. 

The three girls nod. "90% of the time, yes," Sunny replies. "Just hope that you don't get assigned to guard the queue of people waiting outside to get in. Then you might not be able to see any of the celebrities... But that's just a 10% chance! I'm pretty sure you guys will be able to see some." 

"Yeeesssss, hook us up, Sunny!!" Donghae cheers, raising both arms in the air, almost hitting Tiffany. "Whoops, sorry!"

"Okay, I'll text my friend now," Sunny says. "Why don't you guys give me your numbers so that I can let you know any possible work schedules? Is that okay?"

"Yeah, sure, no problem!" 

You exchange numbers with Sunny.

After everyone's sundaes are finished, you decide to separate ways. You wave goodbye to each other on the street. Jessica didnt' talk much today, which you think is good thing. You are not so pissed off and you're pleased that you now have possible upcoming jobs. 

"OPPA-DEUL, ANNYEOOOONG!!!" you hear Sunny shouting from the other side of the street. Her voice suddenly changes to a deathly shrill and her eyes go big. "DON'T YOU DARE CRAM YOUR FESTIVAL OR ELSE I WILL KILL YOU MYSELF!!!!!!" Then just as sudden as she had screamed this, she shifted back into her marshmallow sweet-girl demeanor. 

Scary... o_o

Donghae seems to think so too as he is stunned beside you. He turns to you once the girls are out of sight. "Haneul," he says, grabbing your shoulders tight.

You feel your heart race as he looks at you with desperation.

"We HAVE to make our class booth good!" he says.

You feel the urgency and the tinge of fear induced by Sunny in Donghae's voice. You are thinking about a lot of other things at the moment like when the final result of the student council would be out, homework for Science class and Literature class, extra jobs, Kyuhyun, Flashlight guy's identity which might be Kibum (you still have to make sure of this though), etc. But right now, one thing matters more than that. 

Start working on the class booth.