Music Club: Session 2

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

June 4, Friday, After School: RECORDING STUDIO

"So today, kids, I'm gonna teach you how to prepare for singing," Big Mama is saying. She motions for everyone to stand up.

"The key is to be relaxed," she explains. "Shake yourself up, and massage every part of your body that is used in singing. Can I have a volunteer please?"

Only Jongwoon raises his hand. You keep yours down because you're shy and unsure of what she'll make you do.

"Mhm, thank you, Jongwoon," she says. "The rest of you really need to build up your confidence or you're never gonna get anywhere! In the music industry, especially for singers, you've got to be thick-skinned sometimes."

You decide to be more forward during activities like these.

I wish that Henry was here too. If only my wrist hadn't been sprained-- although it's almost fully healed by now, finally-- I'd probably could be in the same subgroup has him.

Big Mama squeezes Jongwoon's cheeks.

"Umf--" he goes.

"So, children," she says. "You need to massage this part because it can get tense and ruin your singing. Go and massage your cheeks now."

Everyone does as she says.

All I feel is soft fat...

"Next, feel the part where your jaw meets your skull," she continues. "That joint right there. Massage that well too until it's fully relaxed. Then there's the part underneath your chin. It's supposed to feel like a marshmallow." She feels under Jongwoon's chin. "You're too tense here, Jongwoon. Guys, you need to massage until it becomes very soft."

You massage yours.

I'm not sure how similar a marshmallow is supposed to feel compared to mine but whatever. xD

"Now you must massage underneath your jawline," Big Mama says, moving her hands under Jongwoon's jawline. "Then after that, your neck as well. You can stretch it too but don't lift your head up too high and don't overexert downwards either."

You all try to massage and relax your necks in your own ways. 

"And now," Big Mama says, holding Jongwoon's chin and opening and closing his mouth like a ventriloquist. "Your jaw must be very loose. Don't control it. Use your hand to open and close it to relieve tension."

Jongwoon just blinks while Big Mama continues to move his chin. "Remember, one of those points is your top tension spot and it differs per person. For Jongwoon here, it's obviously the area under his chin. Find your top tension spot and add more focus to that when massaging to balance it all out."

Big Mama continues to explain other points of relaxation while still massaging underneath Jongwoon's chin. After a few minutes, Jongwoon faints.

The club members are shocked. "Woah there," Big Mama chuckles, catching him just before his head hits the ground. "It happens to some people. Blood rushes freely now. It came too fast for his brain to handle."

Some students help Big Mama lay Jongwoon down on the floor. Big Mama continues to lecture on the do's and don'ts, what to eat and what not to eat before singing. Afterwards, Jongwoon wakes up and you all do some vocalization exercises. Big Mama signals you not to sing so loud so that the other boys wouldn't hear your normal range of voice. 

"Children, I need to ask you to bear with Haneul because he has a throat condition so he'll usually sit back while all of you are presenting your songs in the future while I give him vocal therapy after club hours. Is that okay?"

"Yes, Big Mama," they all reply.

 

After the music club...

You stay with Big Mama in the recording studio after everyone leaves. She helps you massage your tension points again and she tries to determine your range by playing on the keyboard.

"Hm, you've got a wide range, sweetie," she remarks. "Generally, you're a mezzosoprano. Although I think due to your being around boys all the time, your speaking voice is an alto."

You chuckle. "Sorta got used to it, I guess."

"Well, don't lose your high notes, okay, honey pie? Anyway, let's start your vocalization," Big Mama smiles.

After you finish all the exercises, she takes out a classical piano piece. You read "Pie Jesu".

"Do you know this song?" Big Mama asks.

"Um, I think I've heard of it but I don't really know it..." you reply, scratching your neck.

"It's a church song. Don't worry, I'll walk you through it and accompany you," she smiles. "Stand up straight now. You can read the lyrics here on my piece. Let's have a little sight-reading as well. You'll be taking the higher notes okay?"

"Um, yes, ma'am..." you say nervously.

"I'll sing first then you sing with me the next time around." She begins playing and singing the song.

After she is done, you sort of got the melody already.

"Pie jeeesuuu..." you sing softly.

"Yes, that's right," Big Mama smiles. "But please sing loud and clear or else I won't give you mochi. Open your mouth when you sing, okay? Wide open."

Dx

She starts playing the song and nods her head to que you to begin.

"Pie Jesu, pie Jesu, pie Jesu, pie Jesu
Qui tollis peccata mundi
Dona eis requiem, dona eis requiem
Pie Jesu, pie Jesu, pie Jesu, pie Jesu...
"

Big Mama joins in a beautiful harmony.


Qui tollis peccata mundi
Dona eis requiem, dona eis requiem

You can't help but smile at how lovely it sounds.


Agnus Dei, Agnus Dei, Agnus Dei, Agnus Dei
Qui tollis peccata mundi
Dona eis requiem, dona eis requiem
Sempiternam
Sempiternam

"Get ready for your note..." Big Mama warns.


Ahhhh....
Sepiternam..."

Just as you finish, the door opens. Mr. Bashi peeps in through the door. Your heart skips a beat.

Holy crap did he just hear me sing????

"Big Mama, I thought I heard an angel singing while I was passing by so I dropped in to take a look," Mr. Bashi says. "But um... I didn't expect it to be a boy."

You and Big Mama exchange looks. She puts a finger to her lips.

"OH," Mr. Bashi nods understanding the situation. "Well, I dunno what you're doing here, miss, but you've got talent and that's all that matters for me!" He leaves.

"Wew, I thought I was a goner..." you gasp.

"Mr. Bashi isn't the type to tattle," Big Mama chuckles. "Mostly because other people don't take him seriously because of his... strangeness. Well, anyway, honey pie, we're done for today. Practice your song somewhere no one can hear and I'll hear it again next week. Then I'll give you another new piece."

"Okay, Big Mama," you grin. "Thank you so much!"

"Oh wait, before you go," she smiles, taking out a mochi from her bag. "Here you go. You did well."

You gasp in delight as you take the mochi and take a big bite. "THFFNK YUFH THO MUCHTH, BHG MHMH!!!"

 

When you go out of the recording studio, you see that the sun has gone down already. You decide to go straight to your dorm room and order some take-out. Again, you catch Heechul singing while doing some crazy dance routine. You notice that the moves are better though.

"Aren't you tired from the dance club, hyung?" you ask as you get your pajamas, underwear & towel and prepare to take a shower.

"Are you kidding me? Dance club was just my warm-up!" he exclaims. "But we have this homework choreography thing for next Friday so I need to start thinking up steps for my group."

"Okayyy... By the way, I'm gonna order take-out for dinner. You want some too?"

"Yes, please~" Heechul says.

You take a shower.