Beer... beer...

[Choose Your Adventure] Seoul High: Senior Year (SEMI-HIATUS due to projects)

You walk with Jungsu along the crowded streets of Hongdae. The night is bustling with funky tunes, the aroma of fresh hot ttokbokki, different colored spotlights, and the smell of cigarettes. You fan the smell away from your face. Jungsu seems to not mind it and he calmly walks beside you with his hands in his pockets. On your left, you come across a lone guitar player doing riffs on his electric Warlock. Jungsu stops to watch and so do you.

His guitar looks like a spider. o:

"How much do they get paid to sing on the street?" you ask Jungsu.

"They don't get paid. If other people drop won in their guitar cases, that's money for them. However, most of the people here don't play to earn. They just play for the sake of music," Jungsu says with a faint smile on his face.

He turns to you. "Do you appreciate music like this?"

"What do you mean?"

"This is the dark side of music. Specifically, of the music in Korea. People like the good-looking idols who can sing and dance pretty well, and who act cute and funny on and off cam. But few actually delve into the depths of the music scene. This is where the amateurs, faceless veterans, and authentic music lovers go. To this world in Hongdae."

You blink at Jungsu surprised. He continues,

"Tell me the music groups you know."

"Uh," you say. "Shinhwa. And H.O.T. Aaaand N'Sync and Backstreet Boys. Spice Girls."

"See? Do you know any of the underground groups here? Kuma Park? Jepp Blackman? No?"

"Uh..."

"Kpop is starting to get popular, what with Shinhwa and H.O.T. They're really good. But no one seems to see the underground scene. The places where people start their baby steps, and increase their passion, and just do it because they want to do it. Not because anyone else expects them to do it. So many talented people here that haven't been given a chance."

A guy with bongos, another one with drums, and a bassist set up by the lone guitar guy and they start playing together making a really sweet rocking harmony. This makes you smile.

"They're... really good," you say in awe.

"That's why when you come across an opportunity, don't hesitate," Jungsu says. "TAKE IT. Make mistakes but always be cautious. If you live a life that doesn't take risks, you're not gonna be able to swing across the Grand Canyon on a vine."

"But there are no vines in the grand canyon..."

"Eh, that's just for a concrete example. Did you know that CN Blue started here in Hongdae? That's why they've garnered the respect of a lot of people. It's not just teeny boppers they have cheering for them. It's real music lovers. They've got more respect than just honey bunny 'I want to marry you oppa' stuff from fans because they write their own songs, they put themselves together, they practice to get better without anyone else telling them to. I look up to them. I wouldnt be surprised if they start breaking into the international scene soon."

You chuckle. "So would I."

"Come, I'll treat you to some ttokbokki," he smiles at you. This leaves you a bit breathless.

This grumpy guy is actually genuinely smiling at me....

Hee~

"Two please," Jungsu tells the ajumma. "My treat, Haneul."

"Oh, thanks, hyung!"

You nibble on the ttokbokki as the two of you continue walking. Neither of you says anything, and just quietly eat your food. By the time you finish it, you reach a bar. The soothing notes of a saxophone seep through the doors.

"Let's go in," Jungsu says.

"E-eh?"

"Heechul and Youngwoon are inside. Come on."

You step into the bar and...

Yep. Beer and cigarettes.

As you enter, you hear the silky sultry voice of a girl onstage. She is surrounded by more than the usual number of musicians. They're singing a familiar song...

... Grandpa's favorite song...

A tear trickles down one cheek. You quickly wipe it away then realize that no one would have really noticed it because of the dim lights in the bar.

On the other end of the place, you spot Heechul and Youngwoon with around 6 beer bottles in front of them. They notice you guys too and wave at you to come to them.

"Is this your first time in a place like this, Haneul?" Heechul asks as you slide into a seat at their table. "You seem kind of uneasy."

"Well, yeah," you reply. "My parents wouldn't really allow me out to bars and clubs and stuff."

"WHAT? But you're a guy! Your parents so frikkin strict!" Youngwoon says.

Eheheh... uhh...

"Well.... yeah, they are. Bummer."

"I've never heard of a guy whose parents were like that to him," Heechul says. "Seriously."

"How about Siwon's parents?" Youngwoon asks.

"... Oh, well, Siwon doesn't like going to places like this himself because he's all Jesus-y," Heechul says. "He tells me I'm going to hell for my nonbelief."

"Really?" you gasp. "He said that?"

"Well... just indirectly. But still! That's how I understood it."

Youngwoon whistles all of a sudden. You notice that his eyes are fixated on something behind you, and you see that Heechul and Jungsu have also turned to look.

A girl in a midriff black top and a fedora had just stepped into the bar.

I'm a girl but I have to admit, she is really pretty. D: And her body is nice too. WHY, GOD, WHY??  Dxxxx

"Who is THAT?" Heechul says, his jaw hanging.

The girl passes by your table. She waves at Jungsu and gives him a wink. He smiles and waves back very casually. Youngwoon and Heechul are staring at Jungsu wide-eyed and pissed. Jungsu just raises an eyebrow at them as if to say "That's how I roll, b*tches."

"Ahh, well, she wasn't that pretty anyway," Heechul says.

"Aish, she's MY type. You like girls with fat cheeks. Mandu-lover," Youngwoon scoffs.

"Yeah, fine, okay, I'm a mandu-lover. I ADMIT IT!" Heechul shouts, standing up and raising his beer bottle in the air. "AND I AM POOROUD-UH OF IT."

"Haneul, aren't you going to drink?" Youngwoon asks you, ignoring Heechul.

"Oh, uhh..." you say, unsure.

"Don't be such a girl, Haneul," Jungsu says.

"*COUGH COUGH* UHHHH, OKAY, I'LL DRINK. Just... just one bottle," you say.

"HEY!" Youngwoon shouts to a waiter. "Another round of beer here please!" 

CLINK!

You stare at the smoking cold bucket in front of you.

Youngwoon takes one bottle and slams it down in front of you.

"This will make you a man... Kim Haneul," he says very seriously. "Accept it. The elixir of manhood."

Pop! FSSSSHHHHH...

Youngwoon uncaps the bottle for you. It really is smoking cold.

Aaaand this guy is so obviously drunk. ._.

"Okay... " you gulp. Then you gulp down a swig of beer. "UGH! Why do you like this stuff??"

"It tastes good," Youngwoon says.

Heechul laughs. "Trust me, it'll get better."

 

After the bottle is finished...

"You okay, Haneul?" Jungsu asks.

"Yeah, I'm actually just fine. I don't feel anything. Pshh," you smirk.

"So Haneul," Heechul says, placing his hands under his chin. "Who do you think is cute? Noticing anyone from Ehwa? Or maybe some other school?"

Oh god, not this conversation again please...

"Sorry guys, I haven't found anyone who is, uh... cute enough for my taste. And even if I did like someone, I wouldn't tell it so easily," you chuckle.

Heechul is looking at you intensely. He gives Youngwoon a pat on the back without looking away from you.

"WAAAIIIITERRRRR!!!!"

Oh god... ._. Help.

 

After 5 or 6 bottles...

"Ughh..." you groan. Your head is on the table.

"Haneul... " you feel someone's warm hand on your back.

Whose voice is that? Ugh... sounds like... Jungs-s-su.... or whoev--uuuugggghhhhh... I feel so woozy...

"Haneul, come on, let me carry you," someone says.

"Youngwoon, come on, sit up now," you hear someone else saying. "We need to go home."

"Haneul..." you hear the voice speaking again. "Haneul, wake up."

"Omma, let me sleep..." you groan. "Zzzzz...."

You black out.