When You Wake Up On His Day Off

Optional Bias Scenarios

Sunshine leaked through the blinds like liquid gold, spilling the gentle awakening of morning over the soft sheets that were twisted over your bed. You opened your eyes slowly, blinking in the bright light. Your boyfriend was still asleep, the soft sound of his breathing a slow, calming rhythm.

You smiled, staring at the rise and fall of his bare chest, the faint smile on his pale lips. His legs were entangled in a mess of sheets, his movement in the night wrapping the blankets around him with the tightness of a cocoon.

Reaching forward, you traced the contours of his soft features with the tips of your fingers. You scooted closer to him as he slept, your face mere centimeters from his. He smiled in his sleep as you kissed his cheek lightly, your lashes grazing his brow.

Mornings like this reminded you why you loved him. Your hair was little short of a disaster, your face free of makeup and likely marked red from where your hand rested against your cheek at night. Yet these concerns were but fleeting thoughts that passed through your mind. You were comfortable, relaxed and at ease next to him without any regard to your appearance.

A few moments passed before he pulled his eyes open, stretching his arms like a child and yawning softly. He rolled over once, the sheets falling off of him to the floor. Smiling, he touched a finger to your cheek.

“Babe?” he asked, his voice rough with sleep.

“Hm?” You smiled, staring at the glow in his eyes as the window reflected its morning colors on his irises.

“You’re really beautiful. Perfect.”  You scooted into his outstretched arms. His chest was warm, his heartbeat a soft tempo in your ear. Your eyes briefly shifted to the clock, and you were pleased to see there was little over an hour before you needed to be up.

It wasn’t often that he was able to stay the night, but it was moments like the present that reminded you why he was worth the wait.