When You're Unhappy and He Wants to Know Why

Optional Bias Scenarios

 

The living room walls felt grayer today. From behind the screen of a dark mood, everything in your apartment seemed gloomy and disagreeable. You looked towards the kitchen with a grimace. Nothing appealed to your tastes today.

You turned your head to the entryway as keys jingled at the front door. A sigh escaped your lips as your boyfriend walked in. It wasn’t an ideal day for interaction, your attitude sinking with every minute.

“Hey baby! What’s up?” You exhaled slowly, offering a dejected groan in response. His eyebrow rose with a confused stich in his features.

“Are you okay?” Mumbling an incoherent response, you turned your attention back to the wall in front of you. He walked closer, his hands twisting at his side. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. I’m just…nothing.” Obviously dissatisfied with your response, he placed both hands against your cheeks, his long fingers brushing over your hair.

“I don’t think it’s nothing.” You shook away his hands, hair falling over his fingers. Pushing away his arms, you looked to the ground and sighed. “Can’t you tell me?” Exasperation twitched at his lip and he squinted his eyes towards yours. He stood, walking toward the kitchen. “Okay…do you want anything for lunch?” You shook your head, remembering his back was turned to you.

“No, that’s alright.” He persisted, asking the question again. “Are you sure? Have you eaten yet?”

“I’m not hungry,” you replied, more malice in your voice than intended. He turned back around, eyes dulling slightly.

“Alright…then.” You rested your head back on the couch, groaning silently. It wasn’t your intention to snap, but the ill mood festering in your mind was overwhelming any attempt to show geniality. He sat next to you on the sofa, falling backwards with a sandwich in his hand, a can of soda in the other. He offered the can toward you, and you shook your head in response. Shrugging, he returned his attention to the sandwich. “I know you’re unhappy, but you could at least tell me why.” The dejection in his voice awakened a guilty swelling in your throat.

“I’m sorry… I’m just not having a good day today.” He turned to you and offered a sympathetic smile. His hand smoothed lightly against the side of your head. “I haven’t felt like doing anything, honestly.”

“I have days like that sometimes.” You sat together in polite silence before he scooted closer to you, his arm twisting comfortably around your waist. He moved his other hand to the top of your head, tracing circular patterns slowly around. You leaned against his shoulder, your cheek pressing to the thin fabric. Your eyelids grew heavy and tired, closing slowly under his comforting touch.

“Is there anything you want to do today?” he asked softly, his lips pressed gently against your temple. “Though I’m fine staying here, of course.” You smiled, eyes still closed comfortably.

“We could go somewhere in a bit if you want. I’m really comfortable right now.” He chuckled faintly, and lifted his hand to peer at the watch wrapped around his wrist.

“How about dinner in a few hours?” You turned your head to his neck, mumbling a response.

“Sounds good to me.” He smoothed his hand against your neck, pulling you securely to his lap. “I’ll do whatever it takes to make your bad day a good one.” You smiled at his promise, laughter in your throat.

“Anything? Alright, let’s go to Japan. And then you can buy me a hotel made of chocolate. And then we can…” He laughed, his deeper chuckles mixing with yours.

“What? I don’t think that’s possible.” You grinned, leaning your head back against him once more.

“Honestly, I think you’ve already improved my day.” He pressed his lips to your cheek, smiling against the skin.

“Good.”