When He Saves You With CPR

Optional Bias Scenarios

A/N: I have no idea if this scenario has been posted here yet because it was deleted from my Tumblr list. If it has, sorry for making it look like I updated! D: If I haven't, cheese warning. This one is super cheesy XD

You dunked your head in the cool ocean, delighting in its freshness. The playful yells of your friends around you mixed with the bright splashes and calls of birds in a symphony of sound. Sprays of water streaked your cheeks as people jumped one by one off of the dock, joining you in the sea. During the summer months, you and your friends frequented the local dock often, swimming and splashing among the boats and inflatables. You swam around comfortably, and appreciated the time you were able to spend with your boyfriend.

You grinned as he hollered to a couple of his friends, tossing a beach ball across the glassy water. A number of toys were thrown amongst the group, and you dodged backwards to avoid one in particular.

The contact of your head against the dock’s side was quiet among the cheerful beach sounds. You tried to struggle against the dizziness in your head, but silently fell victim to the pain. Had the accident occurred on land, you would have stood up, walking away with discomfort. In your disadvantaged state, the water pulled you deeper, and you found yourself too disoriented to struggle against its violent weight.  

A mere moment passed before your boyfriend’s eyes darted frantically around the perimeter. You were in his line of sight just a second ago, where had you gone? He called out your name once, but received no response. Silence fell across your group of friends as panic began to settle in. Everyone’s eyes scurried across the surface, scanning for any sign of your presence.

“Oh my god! She’s over here!” One of your closest friends shut her eyes tight, swimming deep into the water to pull you to the surface. Somebody else grabbed you around the waist, pulling your hazardously cold frame back to the shore. Your lips were tinged blue, and it was easy to see that no breath was rising in your chest.

“Call for help!” someone shouted, running frantically to the nearest kiosk. Your boyfriend kneeled down, feeling a haunting shiver of calm run down his back. You weren’t breathing, and he wouldn’t allow himself to panic. It would be okay, right? He let only a second pass as he scanned his brain. It would be alright, he just needed to breathe.

A moment of doubt crossed his mind. What if he did it wrong? Would you be hurt forever? What if he didn’t remember? He remembered what he had been told in school. The brain starts to die after three minutes. Never hesitate. With someone’s life, every moment counts.

He wrapped the fingers of his left hand tightly over the right, pressing down on your chest. He compressed your ribs gently at first, but increased in force as his own terror and fear began to settle in his mind. Leaning close, he breathed air once, twice into your empty lungs.

No response. Tears pricked at his eyes as he tried it again. Once. Twice. It felt as though hours had passed before you choked softly, a mouthful of water spilling over your chin. Your boyfriend crumpled next to you with a sigh of relief, finally able to process the situation.

The next few minutes were a busy blur of paramedics lifting you carefully onto a stretcher and into the back of an ambulance. Your boyfriend’s eyes were wide and haunted, his skin espousing a ghostly pale shade. A paramedic patted him gently on the back.

“She’s going to be alright. You saved her life, you know.” He nodded solemnly, regretting that you had ever slipped under the water in the first place. You turned your head towards him, offering a slight smile despite the bruising pain in your head and chest. Hesitantly, he wrapped his fingers around yours.

“Thanks,” you said, closing your eyes with a tired sigh. He lifted the back of his free hand to his face, wiping away the tears he hadn’t realized had begun to fall. It’s okay, he told himself. She’s going to be okay. His fingers ran gently over the palm of your hand, sending warmth shooting lightly through your limbs. He grabbed your hand in his once more, squeezing it tightly. Never hesitate, he thought. With someone’s life, every moment counts.