When Your Relationship Is a Secret and You Bump Into Him In Public

Optional Bias Scenarios

As you looked casually at the display windows of various stores, you ran quite literally into the back of someone. You began apologizing profusely before you realized she hadn’t even noticed. Much like the huge crowd of people around her, she was too busy pushing at others, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever was causing the commotion.

Your curiosity got the best of you, and you tried to shuffle your way to the front of the group. Although you couldn’t see clearly, you now noticed the numerous signs and gifts being waved about by the girls. To your surprise, they were cheering for a group you recognized: your boyfriend’s. As the boys walked towards their destination in the middle of the mall, cameras and fans followed, filming and cheering respectively. As he passed, your boyfriend stopped abruptly in his tracks. He paused, turning to stare directly in your eyes. A moment of awkward staring passed before he shrugged, waved, and winked in your direction. Several of the girls around him cheered, thinking he was acknowledging his fans, but you recognized the amused smirk on his face as one directed for you. Politely, you turned to one of the girls, tapping her gently on the shoulder.

“Excuse me? Do you know what they’re doing here?” She looked surprised by your confusion.

“They’re having a fansign event at the bookstore over there,” she replied, pointing in the direction the boys were walking towards. “You better hurry if you want to get an autograph though. The line’s going to be crazy.” She smiled at you once more before running off to join the crowd.

It didn’t take long for you to decide what to do next. Stifling a laugh, you waited patiently for your turn in the line. You couldn’t wait to see your boyfriend’s reaction when you posed as a fan. When you reached the first member of your boyfriend’s group, he started to laugh.

“What are you doing here?” he asked you, glancing at your boyfriend to see if he noticed. You smiled playfully.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about? Please sign this, I’m a huge fan!” You mimicked the hilarious behavior of their more obsessive fans, pretending to jump up and down in excitement. He laughed, signing the album with a flourish. As you progressed down the line, the rest of the members shared mutual amusement in seeing you at such a public setting.

When it came time for your boyfriend’s autograph, you placed the album in front of him gently. Without looking up, he asked you a question.

“And what’s your name?”

You answered with your name, failing in your attempts to hold back laughter. His head shot up, and he instantly began to laugh as well as you continued the act. “Why are you laughing? I’m a big fan.” He smirked.

“I bet you are.”

“Really! Huge fan. I feel like I know you so well!” He rolled his eyes as he handed you the CD.

“You’re such a dork,” he said, highly entertained by your antics. As you walked away, you opened the album to see what he wrote. His signature was followed by a quick message:

“If you wanted my autograph, you could have just asked. Tch. Silly girl. I don’t mind if you come to these things, as long as you don’t put posters of my face on your bedroom wall. Promise? And no writing fan fiction.”

The message was followed by a number of poorly drawn hearts and smiles. You laughed to yourself, pulling out your cellphone to send him a text message. When you opened your inbox, you saw one from him already there, asking to spend time with you after his schedules. You smiled, fully aware how long he was going to tease you about this.