Christmas Morning

Optional Bias Scenarios

A/N: This one is super cheesy, because isn’t that what Christmas stories are all about? :)

Sunlight broke through the blinds, bright but cold in the morning air. It had snowed just a little the night before, a light dusting of snow sprinkled on the sidewalks. You snuggled closer to your boyfriend, your arms still hugging fondly around his waist.

“Hey,” he whispered softly, blinking his eyes a couple of times to adjust to the light. His free arm stretched above his head, his spine popping softly. His hair was tousled, tangled in a mess of bed head. “Did you sleep well?” You nodded, smoothing his hair down over his forehead.

“You?” He smiled, leaning forward to kiss you.

“Best sleep I’ve had in a long time. Merry Christmas!” You had almost forgotten about the holiday.

“Merry Christmas!” He rolled over you, hands on either side of your head. His eyes were sparkling, alit like that of a child. With a playful laugh, he kissed you again.

“It’s time to get up!” he decided when he rolled back to his side of the bed. “Come on, come on!” You followed him out of the room, your bare footsteps sounding softly on the hardwood floor. Folding your legs beneath you, you sat next to him in front of the tree. You grabbed a blue and white package from under the tree, setting it in his lap.

“Open it!” you urged, excited for him to receive your gift. He tore tape from the paper neatly, smoothing it over his lap and lifting the box’s lid with a smile. You had managed to find an original copy of his favorite book, signed by the now deceased author. It had been a bargain, found in the attic of a friend of a friend and sold to you for an unbelievably low price. You’d been waiting months to give it to him.

“Oh my god! Where did you get this?” he said, practically shouting. “I can’t believe it! Just…wow. Thank you! You’re really amazing!” His fingers touched the book’s cover gingerly, carefully flipping through the pages. “Oh! This is for you,” he remembered, leaning across your lap to reach for a gift he’d placed under the tree. “I know it’s not the most creative thing but…”

He wasn’t the most pristine gift wrapper, but you managed to find an edge from which you could open the present. A small teal box wrapped in white ribbon fell into your lap, and you opened it excitedly. A silver music note with a diamond to its side sat carefully on the white satin.

“Wow!” you remarked, admiring the necklace with a single finger. “It’s so beautiful!” He took the box from you, lifting your hair with one hand to clasp it around your neck. “Thank you!”

“Merry Christmas,” he repeated again, his eyes smiling as brightly as his lips.

You got ready to visit his parents together, hurrying out of the house to make it over in time for breakfast. Outside, the sun was beginning to peek through thick clouds, casting a radiant light over the city and snow.  

His family was excited to see both of you, sharing hugs and kisses and cheerful greetings back and forth. You helped with breakfast preparations, chatting and laughing with his family while cooking.

As you sat together at the dinner table, his hand over yours and his family around you, you felt at home. It was comforting to know that whether you were with your family or his, there were people with whom you could comfortably spend the holidays. All season you’d been looking for Christmas, feeling disengaged and confused for the whole month. Smiling happily, you leaned over to kiss your boyfriend on the cheek. You had forgotten you’d found Christmas ages ago, radiating in the ones you loved.