Christmas Eve

Optional Bias Scenarios

A/N: Happy holidays everybody~! I hope you have a wonderful holiday, whatever you celebrate, and a beautiful new year~

This Christmas felt like any other day. Something about the season hadn’t quite registered in you this year, leaving you with just a touch of sadness. It hadn’t snowed in days, yet some still remained piled next to the sidewalks. You kicked at the slush as you made your way back to your apartment, feeling increasingly unhappy with every holiday display you passed.

It didn’t come as a surprise to you that you had no one with whom to spend the holiday. Your family was far away, your friends either visiting families of their own or working overtime with their idol groups. You had hoped your boyfriend would be able to see you, but no mention had been made of his availability.

Your key turned slowly, the tumblers rolling in the lock.

“Oh my god!” you said, alarmed to see your boyfriend sitting at your sofa, penguin mug in hand.

White twinkle lights were strung above every window, the tree you hadn’t found time to decorate adorned with the ornaments you kept in the closet. Large red bows had been tied around your chairs, green garlands, and sparkly gold stars. He’d decorated your apartment, bringing Christmas where you had felt none.

“What are you doing here? I thought you had stuff to do!” He smiled, shaking his head.

“Surprise! I got off early today. And my parents really want you to come to their place for Christmas with the rest of the family, if you’re willing.” He scooted over to make room for you on the couch, handing you the mug of hot chocolate. “What’s wrong?” A few tears had gathered in your eyes, unnoticed to you but easily detected by your boyfriend. “Hey, I told you, you’re not alone here. My family loves you. And I love you!” Smiling, you kissed him on the cheek.

“I know. I just… hadn’t really been feeling Christmas this year. But,” you laughed, scanning the room carefully. “I think I can feel it now.” His arms squeezed gently around your waist, his head nuzzling in the curve of your neck.

“It’s going to be a great holiday,” he promised. “And the whole family is coming for dinner. They’re really excited about seeing you; you’re really a part of this family.” His fingers combed through your hair, soft against your skin. With your head on his chest you could hear his heart beating, slow and steady. He hummed a Christmas carol softly beneath his breath, still your hair with affectionate hands.

You fell asleep after a few minutes, completely at peace. Your boyfriend picked you up, setting you carefully beneath the sheets of your bed. He looked at the clock on your nightstand when he lay down next to you.

12:03.

Kissing you softly on the lips, he whispered in your ear. “Merry Christmas.”