When You're Lonely

Optional Bias Scenarios

It seemed to you that the world around was fading into a twisted spectrum, like the bending blur of a world observed through a glass lens. School was a hazy span of mindless hours, and you spent your free time looking at web pages but never reading them. The television screen was a noisy backdrop to your empty thoughts as you stared blankly at the wall behind it. Meals were eaten out of necessity, not enjoyment, and you felt to yourself that you had fallen into a mechanical repetition of passionless life.

He was away, promoting around the world in some weeks and swamped with musical opportunities while at home. It was funny, you thought, that it was still considered a relationship between you two, when neither of you had spoken in at least a month.

It wasn’t exclusively your boyfriend. Your friends had assumed you busy when you virtually disappeared. Family spoke to you on the phone, but never saw the state of your world through mindlessly polite chatter across the seas. On the outside, you were relaxed, a busy student with your focus sharp and directly where it should be. Inside, a storm was gathering force, preparing to rip through to your surface. Your cellphone rang. You looked to it with unwarranted alarm, pulled from your empty contemplation with its piercing sound.

“Hello?” You pulled away from the receiver for a moment. It was him.

"How have you been? I feel like we haven’t talked in forever.” His voice was tinged with the faintest touch of concern.

“I’m doing fine. Just busy,” you replied. He clicked his tongue lightly, and you could tell by his heavy sigh that he didn’t quite believe your unconvincing words.

“I want to see you. It’s really been too long. Are you free right now?”

“I’m always free.” Your voice carried a trace of anger, unintended but too prevalent to take back. He pretended not to notice, sounding happier than he should have in an effort to shake the mood.

“I’ll be there soon.”

As you waited for him to arrive, you shrugged into a grey sweater, sitting on the couch with your arms folded once again. The clock ticked with a maddening noise. All of the silence in your apartment over the weeks was driving you to the point of lunacy.

Again you were pulled from your trance by sound. He knocked at the door, too much eagerness in his knuckles as they hit the brown oak.

“Hey!” His eyes crinkled into a glowing smile when you opened the door. “I’ve missed you like you wouldn’t believe!” He pulled you tightly into a hug, walking forward into your doorway with you in his arms. You stood still, forgetting for a moment how to react to his touch. He drew away, confused.

“I’m sorry,” you mumbled, crushing your left foot under the other. “I haven’t been…well.” His eyes scanned you and your apartment, their sparkle weakening slightly with guilt.

“I’m so sorry I haven’t been here more often. I should have at least called.” He hesitated, putting a hand gently on your shoulder. “What’s wrong?” You stared at him, eyes wet with the tears you hadn’t cried.

“I’m not entirely sure.” You fell forward, face pressed against the soft texture of his sweater, still cool from the outside air. Your arms tightened around his neck, and you were instantly reminded of the safety and comfort his embrace provided. You smiled. “But I think I’m going to be okay.” His hands smoothed your hair carefully, and you could see from the edge of your vision that a smile was growing on his lips.

“I’m here for you,” he whispered softly in your ear. “Whatever it is, I’m here now.”