When He's Sulking Because You're Ignoring Him

Optional Bias Scenarios

 

You perused the seemingly endless racks in search of something that would  suit your mother. Her birthday was coming up, and you needed to find the perfect gift. You were on a date with your boyfriend in a less-populated part of town, and he agreed to accompany you to the store before you two went to lunch together. Running your fingers along the rainbow of scarves, you sighed heavily. Your mother could be so difficult to shop for, and you wanted to find something that would be meaningful to her.

As you continued your desperate search, your boyfriend began to get impatient. He grabbed a hat off of the counter, placing it artfully on his shiny hair.

“How do I look?” he said, laughing as he posed for you. You chuckled absently in response, not even turning to look in his direction. He pouted slightly and returned the hat in its place. He selected the biggest, brightest, and most obnoxious headband he could find, jumping in front of you and smiling with a ridiculous expression on his face. You hardly noticed him, continuing to search for the ideal gift. His smile fell instantly, and he threw the headband back where he found it. Becoming impatient, he ran behind you and hugged your back, resting his chin on the top of your head.

“Babe? Can you not?” You tried to gently move away from his grasp without hurting his feelings, still trying to quickly find a gift so the two of you could continue your date. He pulled away from you, pouting grouchily. He didn’t understand why you were ignoring him. Walking around the store, he kicked at the floor and whined to himself. He sat down in a chair by the front and stared out the window with his chin resting on the palm of his hand.

After what felt like forever, you finally found something to give to your mother. You walked happily to the register, exchanging friendly conversation with the cashier. Looking around the room, you couldn’t find your boyfriend in your line of sight. Assuming he was browsing the aisles you finished paying for your purchase and made your way to the entrance. You heard a sigh and turned to see him sitting crankily in the chair nearby.

“I’m finished now. We can go.” You reached for him with your hand, offering to help him out of his seat. Still cranky, he crossed his arms and pouted. “What’s wrong?”

“You ignored me!” You tried to feel guilty, but his face was too cute for you to act serious. “Stop laughing!” You smiled brightly.

“I’m sorry,” you said with a laugh. “I promise to pay attention to you now. Are you ready to go?” He shot up out of his chair eagerly and grabbed your hand, almost knocking you over with his enthusiasm.

“Of course I am!” You laughed, following him with joy in your eyes.