When He Accuses You of Cheating

Optional Bias Scenarios

If you would like to read this with Baekhyun of EXO, feel free to read it here instead~

“Are you sure that’s what’s wrong with it?” you asked your friend, who had stopped by to help figure out the problem with your car. It had been making unusual sounds for ages now, and finally someone was able to help you fix it.

“I’m positive. Mine was doing the same thing a few years ago.” He adjusted the replacement part, wiping dark grease from his hands along the washcloth you had brought outside. “Here, try starting it,” he suggested, tossing you your keys. You turned the ignition, cheering happily when it started without as much as a rattle.

“Yay! Thank you so much!” You gave him a suffocating hug. For a few minutes the two of you continued chatting, leaning against the open hood of your car.

Your boyfriends’s own car pulled up, and your friend politely took this as his cue to leave.

trans.gif

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said, smiling when you thanked him again for his help.

“Who was that?” your boyfriend asked, climbing out of his car. His face was still made up from performing, dark eyeliner expressing a fierce look in his brown eyes.

“Just my friend,” you replied. “He helped me fix that problem with my car. Look, it’s all better!” You pointed to the shiny new part next to the engine. It stood out brightly next to the greasy, dark metal of everything else in your old car. He scowled.

“I was going to help you with that!” he complained. You were surprised by his disapproving tone, your intentions having been to make his life easier.

“I know, I just didn’t want to bother you. You’ve been so busy lately, and it wouldn’t start today. I would have called you but you were at practice.” He looked entirely un-reassured, but you decided to write his mood off as sleepiness. “Come on,” you urged. Let’s eat something and go to bed.

A few days later, you met with your friend again for lunch at the café in which you had been working to pay for school. He was planning a birthday surprise for his girlfriend, one of your closest friends.

“This is so exciting!” you said, eyes sparkling with joy. “She’s going to freak out. I can’t wait to see the look on her face when we’re all there!” He looked nervous.

“What if it doesn’t work out? What if she isn’t surprised? Does she even like surprises?” You rolled your eyes.

“She loves them, you know that. It’s going to go great! Besides, she loves you!” The two of you continued to discuss his plan, practically too excited to form coherent sentences.

Unbeknownst to you, your boyfriend had planned on visiting you during your lunch hour. Through the window he could hear your ringing laughter, frowning heavily when he saw the cause. Without a word he his feet, walking away with a suffering heart.

His arms were crossed angrily when you walk into the apartment, beautiful hands pinched tight with hurt.

“Why did you bother coming back? Why don’t you go home with him?”

“Him?” you asked, genuine confusion in your tone.

“Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about. The guy you’ve been seeing behind my back. I saw you at lunch today; I know you’ve been sneaking around. I’m not stupid. I can put these things together,” his voice grew louder with every accusation, and you thought you could see tears pricking at the corner of his eyes.

“What? No, he has a girlfriend! You’ve met her! Ugh, you know I wouldn’t do something like that!”

“Wouldn’t you?”

“No! He’s my friend!” You were torn between anger and insult. He turned around, his hand on the doorknob.

“Yeah, whatever. I’m sleeping at the dorm tonight.” The door slammed like punctuation to his accusation. You stood, bewildered, your mouth open slightly as you tried to process the situation. Whatever, you thought. He’s stressed, I’ll talk to him tomorrow. Even still, you went to bed with wet eyes and cheeks.

The next day, he refused to speak to you. Your text messages went un-replied, your phone calls unreturned. When one of his group members opened the door to let you in, he slammed it in your face. Finally, after much persisting, he walked outside with miserable eyes.

“Look, I understand why you did it. I’m never around. I can’t take care of you like I should. I just wish you could have told me before you moved on to someone else. I’m sorry.” This struck a more painful nerve to you than his initial allegations.

“What? Are you stupid? I can’t believe you still think I cheated!” You started to walk backwards from him, an injured glare in your expression. “I don’t know what I can do to get you to believe me. Maybe it just not going to work out, if you’re going to be so uptight that I can’t spend time with a friend without you jumping to the worst possible conclusion. You’re being an idiot!” you shouted. You began walking away, before turning on your toes once more to face him. “Besides, you have friends who are girls. Are you cheating on me, hm? I don’t think you would. And if you can’t trust me to treat you the same, that’s your problem.” You slammed his bedroom door, walking uncomfortably out of the dorm with sullen eyes.

A few of his band members stared as you walked by, having heard the argument.

By the time you got to your car, however, you felt a hand grab your shoulder tightly.

“Wait.” You turned, his sparkling eyes reddened at the corners. “I’m so sorry.” Without waiting for a response he pulled you tightly into a hug, one hand on the small of your back and the other holding the back of your head. “I trust you. I’m just an idiot. Please, I swear it won’t happen again.” You had stiffened at first, but relaxed as he mumbled a heartfelt apology into your ear.

Eventually, you gave in, standing on your toes to lightly kiss his lips. After the situation had calmed and the two of you had returned to your apartment, you faced him with a quiet smile.

“What convinced you?” He looked sheepish, grinning like a child.

“After you left, one of my band members walked in and slapped me in the face.” It was then that you noticed the red mark still glowing on his soft cheek. “I really am sorry though. I love you, I really do.”